1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays When to use screensaver/standby

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShakeyJake, 19 Oct 2011.

1. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Hey guys,

I have 2 Dell U2311H and I was wondering what the best way to take care of them is. I know that the lamps only have so much life and that the monitors will gradually dim so I would like to have them go into powersave after a short time of inactivity.

Conversely, I have been told that having them turned on and off (well, entering standby) frequently is bad for them.

So what's a boy to do?

2. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Not worry about it. Fluorescent lamps do not like being turned on and off frequently but then the longer you run them for the more likely it is that they will dim down.

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Just set the timeout to something reasonable, like standby after 15 minutes and they will be fine.
    Turning them on and off frequently like a child playing with a light switch is bad for them of course, but I'll assume you don't do that.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yup, as everyone said: No screen saver needed (it was important back in the CRT days to avoid imagine burn in, which is more likely to happen on a CRT than on a LCD screen)

Just turn let Windows put into stand by after 15-20min (I think it's Windows default) and you are good. Look at you usage. If you tend to leave and come back a lot, and for more than 15-20min, then adjust the time accordingly. As the U2311H is a very bright screen, you have more room to increase the brightness if it reduces brightness too much. The reason for this, like CRT's, is that the phosphor burns over time. If you see an old CFL lamp in a house, you will notice it starting to go turn black a bit, well that is what happens. The process is however VERY VERY slow. But down to 4th year, compared to the same monitor never opened, it will show. Too much on/off is bad, as you can burn the cannon which starts the lamp. So put it to 30min let's say, if you go back and forth many times a day.

So look at your needs and see what you can to adjust to reduce the number of on/off.

If you use the computer in the morning, then go to work, come back and use it until sleep time or even if you go play console game and TV with 2-3 trips.. 15min sleep time is good.
    You have to remember that the CFL lamps used are better than the cheap CFL bulbs that you buy in store for your lamps., and usually for them (the one you buy in stores), it's the circuit inside that breaks, not the cannon or the reduce brightness, that will make you change it.

5. ShakeyJake

ShakeyJake My name is actually 'Jack'.

Cool, thanks guys. I've got the standby set on 30 mins then and no screensaver. :)

6. GoodBytes

Excellent!
    Personally I don't think you should worry too much, but it's good to try to our best. It is a really nice monitor after all.

7. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

I've got my screen saver set to 10 minutes and go into standby after 20 minutes

8. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

I just turn the screen off when I leave the computer?

9. The_Beast

Why are you asking a question when that is clearly a statement?

10. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Maybe he wants Goodbytes opinion on whether thats good or not?

:)

11. dgshtav

dgshtav What's a Dremel?

Not sure how screen savers would help with prolonging the life of the lamp, as even with a screen saver, the lamp still pretty much stays on the whole time. It's only the LCD matrix that is being managed to render the screen saver, correct?

Looks like the best bet is:
    * Professionals - Plan your sessions such as to try and get as much work done in one sitting. Basically less frequent but extended sessions. This will reduce the on-off cycle times. One can also use a LED backlit IPS as a secondary palettes and tools screen using the CCFL IPS only as a image/video editing work area.
    * Gamers - well play longer and take less breaks! :D and when you do take a break make sure you stay away longer -:(

Burn-ins, as I read, are not an issue with LCD, so the screensavers are a moot in that regard as well, right?

12. GoodBytes

I am confused as well.. I was hoping he comes back and edit his post, frankly :/

13. GeorgeStorm

Yup, since no one seems to do it I'm asking for opinion.

14. The_Beast

In that case, No I do not turn the screen off when I leave the computer?

15. GoodBytes

I do, but on specific conditions.. like me leaving for university or work. I know I wont' be immediately turning it back, or any time shortly after, when I go to bed (well I put my computer to sleep)

16. GeorgeStorm

Was hoping someone might actually be helpful as to why one wouldn't?

17. SirFur

SirFur PC Gamer and LAzy B0nes

Goodbytes sort of answered that indirectly. Turning off and on often can over time cause the lamp to burn out more quickly, so he only turns it off when he's away for some time from his screen. His earlier post also explains why turn on/off too much is bad for a monitor...but again the process happens over a number of years but then again every little bit helps! :)

I too do the same...i.e. turn off the monitor if I am actually going to be away for longer than a couple of hours before I'm able to return to the screen. Otherwise, I just leave it be and let Windows put the screen into standby mode after 15-20 min.

Up till recently, I've been using a CRT for many years and applied the same logic - still runs nice and bright and colour is as good as it ever was in the past. Applied the same logic to it and I've had then nigh on 6 years. I usually sit at my screen for long sessions and my main times when I turn off are when I go to bed or go out to work or for play.