1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Which 1366 Xeons are akin to I7s?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlienwareAndy, 28 Jan 2014.

1. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Hmm, hmm and thrice hmm. So today I have to be quiet. My lady had a rough night and is still sleeping.. Any way, I looked into overclocking the Dell board. Of course, I hit the obligatory brick wall but... There is a but.

Old Andy here likes to learn. So I spent the morning reading up on how a clock generator works. It's done by a PLL which is managed by an ICS chip. So I found two overclocking apps that can work if the PLL is correct. First up was Clockgen, the other is called SetFSB.

Then I did some more reading and more studying and it appears the PLL can be found on a chip on the motherboard. It's located nearby a crystal on the board. I looked up a pic of my board.. Basically the red arrow points to the crystal, and sure enough next to it is my ICS. On the ICS is the PLL..

[​IMG]

So I got out my torch and read off the PLL.. 932S421BGLF. And what did I find? Firstly you can see the datasheet for the chip in the background.. Then you will see me with SetFSB open and what do you know? we actually have a match :O

[​IMG]

So what does this mean? well hopefully due to SetFSB matching my PLL I may (note may, not tried it yet but will shortly) be able to control my FSB meaning an overclock..

I would say I'm about 5% confident right now but of course I will report back with my findings :)

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

good news. Keep us updated.

3. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

OK so it does work and you can change the FSB. Sadly I can only get about 4mhz out of the FSB before it locks up lol. I did get a blue screen once.