1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who has a floppy these days?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaveVader, 20 Dec 2007.

1. Drachnem

Drachnem Minimodder

Whats a floppy?

2. radodrill

radodrill Resident EI

I may have to look into a USB floppy for flashing purposes; it's sometimes a big hassle to dig around looking for the floppy connector and/or a spare power connector.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Vista allows you to read drivers on CD's if I'm not mistaken, using only 1 drive (you can eject Widows CD, put your CD, copy the drivers with Windows setup, and put back Windows CD to continue setup.

4. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

I found a very, very old computer at my mom's school that had an 8" floppy drive. I think I've still got three or four disks that I "borrowed" from there, too. They were too awesome to throw away. But, no, I don't use floppy drives at all anymore. My Compaq (my first PC) didn't have one, and I didn't bother installing one in my next build.

5. bubsterboo

bubsterboo What's a Dremel?

I don't use floppy's for anything anymore. I use a thumb stick for bios and vga flashing. However, i was very angry when i had to install a driver a while ago into an old windows 98 machine. Couldn't get the driver to it any other way then a floppy (apart from wasting a cd-r). (USB mass storage on 98 requires a driver aswell) And the driver was for a NIC, so no internet.

6. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Well...

I've got a few old 3.5" floppy drives stuffed deep into the confines underneath my workbench along with one or two 5.25" drives as well as a very old external 8" drive which I actually leave out in the open (it's fun to have as a showcase of sorts. Come to think of it, I might actually be able to fit a nano-ITX board into it. Hmmm). Additionally I have a really big trash bag filled with floppy disks of various sizes and types, but I have not used any of them for years. Vista does not require drivers for my RAID to be loaded from floppies, so I consider them quite dead - if not buried. ;)
    Maybe I should dig out the old disks and see if any of them are still readable. Could be fun seeing what's on them. I know I have an original copy of Windows 1.10 on 5.25" floppies somewhere.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2007
  7. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

I have one of those (but the coffee machine part never worked right - sparks everywhere when I tried to fill it with water ;)) (see below)
    ... and that's the only reason I bought it. (I hope to Never need it again)
    :hehe: mod the faceplate over a slot load DVD :D
    That would be very cool indeed.

8. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Yes it would, thanks. :)
    I will take some measurements and see about getting a nano-ITX board, though I might have to go for a pico-ITX variety. We'll see. But this is for sure something I will have to seriously consider. Also as I do have plans for a small media-box anyway, this would surely be the cool way to go about it. A pico-ITX board, maybe an SSD drive and a laptop-DVD slot-in drive using the 8" slot (which should be just wide enough) for feeding discs to it.
    Anybody know of any very small PSUs?

9. mutznutz

mutznutz Cos Ive got a beard u label me evil

All my games run off floppy disks, such titles as Hexen, IndyCar Racing 2 and Quake

Oh and I'm hoping that my voodoo2 will arrive soon :)

But seriously I put new floppy disk drives in all new builds I do just in case

10. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

LOL!

Hexen was great fun by the way. This surely took me back and put me in a nostalgic mood. :)

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Look up "pico PSU"

12. Journeyer

Journeyer Minimodder

Thanks.
    That got me one from eBay. Hopefully shipping won't take too long. :)

13. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Personally ive not bothered in the last 3 machines ive built since I think 2001, just not found the need when I have bootable cd's which are soo much quicker to boot from compared to the floppy.

14. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I've got a FDD in my Dell Server, as well as a Sony USB External FDD. I used them recently too, when i tried to update the bios on my motherboard, (which turned out to be the updated version anyway)

Other than that, there unused and unloved:D

Sam

15. naokaji

naokaji whatever

floppy? well...

i've abandoned that stuff long ago...

then, some years ago sata came along, i bought a sata mainboard and hdd, popped the win xp into the drive, and shock... win xp installation claimed i dont have any hdd in my pc...

oh well, i turned on my notebook, google'd a bit and found out that i would need to buy a floppy drive to be able to install the freaking drivers because windows xp isntaller is too stupid to accept drivers from a different source...

thx to pata emulation of todays sata controllers (or, nlite'd drivers on xp cd, or alternatively vista) thats not really an issue anymore though.

once i had discovered nlite i trashed the floppy a second time...

i hope that thing from the past never ever again reapears...

16. paul_s57

paul_s57 What's a Dremel?

Floppy drive, yeah I still use them from time to time, When installing for loading the RAID drivers, but some of the Oscilloscopes / Data Analyzers I use at work / Uni still come with a Floppy drive to save the readings / screen shots to and can be loaded onto a PC. (admittedly these are the older ones when the brand new ones, complete with dvd burners / USB card readers, are being used by other people)

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I *have* to have a floppy in mine, as it's an all-in-one thingy doodar with card readers built in. I think I've used the floppy drive about once since I bought it. USB bios flash 4tw.

18. heir flick

heir flick Minimodder

got one with the memory card reader built in but never use it, i just plug the my digi camera into the usb and transfer the files, not going to bother with a floppy drive in the next build

19. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Make a slot-loading optical drive which fires the CD out of the slot when you hit eject :eyebrow:

20. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I actually still use floppies!

I have and old ultra-portable toshiba portege laptop that will *only* boot off the HD or floppy drive, nothing else...

Installing any OS is a huge procedure that involves a floppy drive OS with PCMCIA network drivers so i can start a win95 install from a mapped network drive, then copying a newer OS to the HD and running the OS setup from there...

Yes, it's as incredibly awkward as it sounds and takes hours :p