Why do terrorists attack Britain time and again?

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Cthippo, 6 Jul 2007.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm not sure if I agree with this analysis, but for what it's worth...

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

We have to look at the historical connections with the British Empire and the nations from which many extremists reside, we are in the midst of a guilt complex allowing many of those who wish us harm easy access to the country.

We also have a more open immigration policy than that of the US, we allow many more people to enter the country regardless of their feelings.

The Asian sub continent is a breading ground for the Islamic fundamentalist movement, but we have a historic connection with the area which leads to many of those who wish harm easy access to the UK.

The frightening thing is that the threat comes from such a small minority, we cannot simply close the doors.

We benefit greatly, as a society, from the diverse nature of skills and culture introduced by the immigrants, that simply closing our borders would seem archaic.

Paradoxically, this is also our greatest weakness in the fight against terror.

Taken into context the number of people killed in the UK by terrorist activities is less than that of peanuts, so should we be scared ?

3. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

so the media tell us....

despite the threat and actual attacks from the IRA in the 70's and 80's being far worse....

We have now had two different sets of terrorist attacks whose bombs havent actually gone off... which hardly imbues me with fear....

4. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Indeed, we don't seem to have the smartest of terrorists do we, the idiots blow up half a bus or set themselves on fire in a jeep, comical really lol

5. dognosh

dognosh What's a Dremel?

tell that to the victims of the london bombers:(

6. Bungle

Bungle Rainbow Warrior

It is a paradox. Hopefully if we stop trying to be world police and try and get international matters sorted by the UN, maybe Britain will be cast in a better light. Yes the UN maybe flawed, but if there is a threat to any particular nation from a rogue state, then surely matters such as this are better addressed by taking every countries point of view before steam rolling into conflict. The legal system, works because a jury with no ties to the prosecution or defence makes judgement on the cases presented. Think there's a lesson there.
    Terrorism is a problem for sure but ultimately we are dead people anyway. No point worrying about things we cannot change. Live your life and give 2 fingers to those that would destroy that freedom.

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

I think it's important to not use language that exaggerates the failed attacks that occured recently. They weren't bombs. They were cars filled with inflammable gas, but it would not have caused any real explosion or damage. I'm not sure it matters why the UK is picked over the US for terrorism, although I suspect convenience of location is a big issue.

Oh and that article pisses me right off. They keep referring to the UK as England. The only part of the recent plots that have anywhere near succeeded happened in Scotland, which is part of the UK. Yet they continue to refer to the UK as England. Grr!

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

What about home-grown radicals that were born and grew up in the UK? Even if the gates were closed what do we do about the current threat from inside? Surely Islamic fundamentalists know that by waging this war on the west they are inviting backlash? Imagine if it went too far, could western people turn to radical movements and go vilgilante against anybody they percieve as a threat?

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I don't think they care. Fundamentalists thrive on confrontation. It's what they are all about.

I don't agree with the analysis:

Rather:
    Statistically the UK has experienced marginally more terrorist activity recently, but this is almost a statistical outlier. Due to its colonial past, the UK has closer ties to the Asian continent and a greater influx of Asian immigrants in all walks of life. It is more convenient to reach. The UK is also not quite as hysterical yet as to arrest people for "flying while Asian" or to survey Mosks with Geiger counters as happens in the US.

If this makes us an easier target, so be it. I am not prepared to sacrifice civil liberty and cultural tolerance for a delusional sense of safety. Kind of what the terrorists want. I prefer the UK attitude of: "We are not afraid", or in Glasgow terms: "We'll just set about ye". :D

10. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Mosks = Mosques.
    I don't want to join the crowd that nit picks all the B-T staff's posts, but I'm afraid I couldn't let that slip.

H.B.

11. Nexxo

You are right, of course. I knew it did not look right ... In my defence, I was posting from my Tablet and the handwriting recognition throws up some strange interpretations at times, and it looked close to the Dutch spelling which is "Moskee". :)

12. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

We are politically linked to the USA, but have much looser border control and immigration services, so its easier to attack us than the US.

^^ I'd expect better from you Nexxo :lol:

13. Nexxo

I hang my head in shame. :p

14. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

Why, when he blamed it on his tablet pc?
    Now we can all lambaste his tablet pc till he learns to use the inbuilt firefox spellchecker.

H.B.

15. Nexxo

I don't use Firefox. :eeek:

16. specofdust

specofdust Banned

That's ok Nexxo, you're allowed to use browsers that are better than Firefox afterall (Opera EffTeeDoubleYou)

17. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

What! Another heretic!
    Good grief, when will it end.
    My only consolation is that you're not using IE.

Try saying "EffTeeDoppelVee", as two Nexxos on here would be confusing.
    Oh, and it rhymes.

H.B.

18. Nexxo

Yeah. Uh, right. No IE here, guv... :worried:

19. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I'm using IE. So what?

20. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

^ evidence that Serious discussion needs it's own sub forum :)