1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Windowed HDD, that should keep all data intack!!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?, 24 Sep 2004.

1. ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?

¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ? What's a Dremel?

Sorry guys i'm poor and don't have any money for any plexi, so instead of showing you (will once i get some money) i will describe the process

Correct me if i'm worng but i beleive this is the first type of Windowed HDD Mod that that has a very high chance of keeping the propteries on the HDD intack and no bad secotrs.

****i have not accaulty "done" this mod, but the idea is simple and very workable***

you will need 2 HDD's NOTE***that are exactly the same in body shape**** one that you want to be windowed and the other HDD that does not matter if you drop if off a cliff. for easier understanding for some people, i shall call the HDD's 1&2 #1 is the HDD that the preferibly "broken" or unwanted HDD, HDD #2 is the one that you would like to window and that is preferibly off warrenty unless you are willing to expire the warrenty by the doing of this MOD yet many of us do not have the balls to window one of our server HDD's.

The Mod

you take HDD #1 and due all the nesssicary actions that is needed to window the cover, too your or your friends liking (which ever one cares more). Then ever so carfully take unsrew the lid on HDD#2 remove the "lid" (top, upper part, cover, what ever you wanna call it), then replace with the windowed lid from HDD#1 then you just put the screws in tighten them up, if want then take cover from HDD#2 (the not windowed HDD) and place on HDD#1 and then they are back to normal state of storage (except for HDD #1 which is best if you don't use it for storage)

you have a windowed HDD where the HDD was subject to less than 3 seconds worth of contaminated air, there for reducing the chance of Alien objects (dust, fingers, etc.) from entering, upon competletion of the Mod pull out wallet, order pizza and eat till you mod again

Be warned! I take no responsibility if you succeed to flaw/break/destroy your or one of your friend's HDD's, or any other part while following these instructions.

comment if you like, but thats all i got right now

2. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

If you slip the hd into a zip lock bag, is there change of it getting ruined by static, or is that a way we could more easily do this w/ one hd?

3. Arkuden

Arkuden mow?

the way thats mostly been done before is to place the drive in a zip lock or some form of anti-static bag that will keep the platters relatively safe while you work on the window. I also do not have 2 drives that are the same for this to work. But i dont see any reason why it wouldnt work if you followed this mod. Maybe we can get some pics in here so some people know what you mean. I would like to see the hdd mod that adds leds inside. That would be uber cool!

4. invader crack

invader crack What's a Dremel?

i myself have an old crappy 2gig maxtor hdd i plan to window
    im thinkin takin this route with it sounds like it makes alot of sense
    just need to find anouther old hdd now :rolleyes:

5. Etacovda

Etacovda What's a Dremel?

I assumed that this was the way people did it :confused:

I wouldnt bother doing it any other way; my logic i guess

6. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I guess the only way to be sure is to go to a lab or something that uses static/dust free rooms. If they're cleaned on the outside and taken apart in, say a nitrogen atmosphere, they should be fine.

Scotty

7. -Enforcer-5716M4

-Enforcer-5716M4 What's a Dremel?

If you want to make a window for your HD-D, you should do it in your bathroom.

Just turn on the shower for a couple of minutes, and the steam will make the dust lay down. Then you simply remove the top of the HD-D and put the drive in a dust-free bag.

Then you do whatever suits you.

I got this from Overklokking.no

8. dom_

dom_ --->

even then it will not work with modern hi-density disks.

the only succesfull windows are on low density >25gig drives. and also if the top has a screw in the spindle removing this will put the hdd out of tilt. put it back without one due to the window being their means no more data.

9. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

I would go as far as saying you stand a high chance of it failing with anything over 1gig platters :sigh:

10. dom_

dom_ --->

yeah i was probably being optomistic

11. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Resurecting the thread.

Here is where it has actually been done with a 3GB drive. Here is part 2 of the article.

12. Alvin

Alvin Guest

The capacity of the HD is not as much a problem as the support for the center spindel.
    I hear people say that their new (like >120Gb HD) windowed HD's only last 6 months.

Then one day I ran into this guy, who wanted to move his platters into another drive, because he needed the data from a drive that had crashed the spindel bearings.

I was quite sceptical about the whole idea, but he did the job just fine, with two identical HDs, after getteing some advice from another guy who had just succeded with the same operation.

The second guy claimed to have an old, old PC with a completely open HD in his wood workshop. And when he needed to run that PC, he had to get all the dust out of the old HD, which he did using some compressed air.
    It had not failed him the last five years.
    I never did get the name of the make of the HD from him. :sigh:

So maybe a ziplock bag will do just fine. :eyebrow:

I only us my own windowed 6Gb HD for stuff that can easily be re-created. I mainly made a windowed HD because I just had to. :thumb:

Alvin :thumb:

13. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

this might be a totally stupid statement, but you probably should have a RAID setup (data mirroring, is that 1 or 2?) just in case you bork it up.

14. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

There's no surefire way to open a HDD without running a real risk of killing it. I used to work tech support for Maxtor, and all hard drives are assembled in a clean room, with tech's wearing Tyvek suits and resperators. The above comment is right: the only guaranteed way is to find a lab with a clean room. You'd be surprised at the trace amounts of dust that will destroy a drive.

Even if you succeed in installing a window, your drive may last another year, or another hour. There's no way to tell. Ziploc bags will built up a static charge, but mostly, they just trap whatever is floating around in the environment inside the bag.

One time a few of us were bored, so we took a functioning drive, opened it and dropped a dead moth (that we'd found by the window) inside of it. We closed it back up and installed it in a testlab pc. It actually booted an ran Windows for about an hour, but once it failed, it lost all data, had more bad sectors than I'd ever seen and it fried the moth corpse inside (that smelled wonderful...)

15. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

... and you were still on the clock? i want your job

16. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

What it comes down to is use an old <1GB drive and put useless stuff on it. You can get small drives cheep on eBay so why not keep your important data on a disk that's never been opened ;)

17. Feline

Feline What's a Dremel?

Yeah, I was on the clock. While that job sounded cool in theory, it really wasn't. It was shortly after Maxtor acquired Quantum's HDD division and decided to incorporate some of Quantum's "technology" into their drives. That's when Maxtor's quality started going downhill fast. I started right about the time the D540X and D740X series came out, which were basically Maxtor/Quantum hybrids. We had more RMA's on those things that I can even remember. They were horrible. I had a friend that had FOUR D540X's die on him within two months, all brand new! I used to love Maxtor's until I worked there, but I won't use them anymore. They may be better now, but that experience really soured my opinion of them.

I had one call where someone's Quantum LCT drive literally caught on fire and destroyed her entire PC, and burnt part of her wall. We narrowly escaped a lawsuit. For those who don't know (we were forbidden to tell anyone what it stood for) the "LCT" stood for Low Cost Technology. They were basically Quantum's Cream of the Crap drives. I know of three other instances besides mine where customer's drives had caught on fire, and they were all LCT's.

And I think they've moved that call center to India, since the last time I drove by the building I was in, it was empty and no longer had the big blue Maxtor sign above it.

18. TMM

TMM Modder

lol, i have a Quantum Fireball LCT15 30gig drive right here.... been working flawlessly for 4 years (or more?!) and still does.

19. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

TMM, you need to install a CO detector and set an ABC fire extinguisher next to your computer. Call it a saftey mod. [​IMG]

20. Veer

Veer What's a Dremel?

If you really want to use a plastic bag. And since plastic conducts static electricity. It is advisable that you wrap the components of the hard drive in a newspaper then store it in what ever you like.

Tags: