1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Windowed HDD, that should keep all data intack!!!!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ¿þŘΩĐĮĢΫ?, 24 Sep 2004.

1. TranZam

TranZam What's a Dremel?

I'll whip out a multimeter to check it, but is pin 39 positive or ground? Also, should I disconnect pin 39 from the mainboard if I do this? Is the signal comming from the mainboard or the drive? How many miliamps can it handle(can I run more than one LED?) I have a removable drive bay... that has an LED wired up like that... so I'll check it and see how it's wired... but I just wanna be sure.

Thanks!

-TZ

2. TranZam

TranZam What's a Dremel?

More questions... I have purchased 1/8" plexi for my window for my 25gb drive... now I need some more info. I have 2 screws that penentrate the TOP cover of the HDD. I'm assuming one is for the disk spindle, the other for the reader arm. Are these place here for STRUCTURAL support of the cover, or for support of the reading arm, and the disk spindle? If they are structural for the cover, I'll just delete them from the windowed version. If they are to aide in the alignment of the arm and the spindle, I'll probably leave them in place, and just put the window over them. Anybody know?

Also, How is the best way to attach the plexi to the drive. I'm looking at the cover, and I see 6 torx nuts around the perimiter... then the two in the middle that I mentioned before. I'm thinking I could use those same mounting positions, and possibly even the same screws to mount the window. It would be really easy to set the holes and drill them accurately. I can post up a pic if it would help.

Thaks

-TZ

3. slater

slater Mummy Says Im Special

Both, its another big reason why most windowed hdds die.

4. Alvin

Alvin Guest

I second the statement that the screws in the middle of the cover are there to give structural support.

You may be able to just salvage strips of the cover, so the spindel support is still there when you attach your window.

It may also be possible that the window is strong enough to give the needed support, but the spindel and the reader arm definately needs the precise support.

The perimeter screws are there to attach the lid to the rest of the system. They probably also support the rubber seal around the edge of the lid.
    Is there a rubber seal?

The harddrives I have opened in my time all had a little silica bag inside. To absorb any moisture that may have gotten inside the HD during manufacturing.
    And there usually is a small hole somewhere, with some filter tissue on it, that allows for an ever so little amount of air to go through, so any major air pressure changes, will slowly have an option to find equilibrium.
    Is this hole on the side, buttom or the lid of your HD?

Looking forward to seeing the result of your efforts.

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

i think that the older the drive, the better chance of this working. i did this with a 500 mb western digital caviar and i left the open drive lying on a table for like an hour, and when i was done there was dust on it, so i took a wipe thing and wiped it off. the drives operating system got corrupted, but i works fine. i would defenitly not try this with a good hard drive, even if i was in a clean room and the thing never even touched air, because it is still too big a risk.

6. bobmister

bobmister What's a Dremel?

That's right, this mod is for fun only! and not to be trusted to your everyday working HDD.

If you got your basement configured with 7 micron air filters, then do whatever u want :naughty:

7. I'm_Not_A_Monster

I'm_Not_A_Monster Hey, eat this...

would a bedsheet over my desk work? i washed it a few weeks ago...

Tags: