1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Troubles :) and solutions

Discussion in 'Software' started by speedfreek, 1 Oct 2009.

1. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

How many of you are running Windows 7?

How many of you are good with Windows 7?

Lets take advantage of this thread to discuss advantages, tweaking, and troubleshooting Windows 7, most importantly how to fix the errors I am experiencing. After I get it up and running I'll update this OP occasionally to make it helpful to others experiencing all the stupid little problems experienced by those running an OS that is essentially released but not officially.

Advantages
    Run XP and Vista drivers, remember how hard it is to find all the Vista drivers you need?
    Faster, startup and shutdown are no longer a time to grab a coffee, take a dump, and read the paper because it happens in seconds rather than minutes.

Tips

Troubleshooting
    Are you having trouble installing things? Try this...
    Other problems, just try reinstalling, chances are you don't have too much on your computer because its still a very new OS. Hell, its not even officially released.

Last edited: 6 Oct 2009
  2. klutch4891

klutch4891 What's a Dremel?

I'm running Ultimate x64 on my desktop; and x86 on my Eee and so far I've been extremely satisfied with it. My only complaint is that on my desktop explorer.exe would randomly crash ten or so times in a row and then work perfectly; and it wasn't fixed by re-installing 7.

As for the Admin problem you're having; I've never experienced that in the... 5 (?) times that I've installed 7. Have you tried re-installing?

3. 4.54billionyears

4.54billionyears What's a Dremel?

windows 7 64bit ultimate (beta?) here.
    I am pleased with windows 7.
    i am disappoint xp and vista.
    only problem i have is sometimes taskbar is missing and firefox lags when i click it open(take awhile to open) after exiting battlefield 2142, cod4, and so on...

4. Jux_Zeil

Jux_Zeil What's a Dremel?

Well I have tried the RC1 64bit and I must say that even on my old system, it ran very well. You have inherited a heck of a lot from Vista which, while it does not bother me(I have had Vista 32bit OEM since the first day of release), it will bother all those peeps that couldn't let go of XP because Vista was sooooo crap in their eyes. If anyone says that Windows 7 is nothing like Vista, then they don't know what they are talking about!!
    Anyway back on subject. The problem with most programs is they have inherited the need for elevated rights from the XP era to install properly. This means you need to go into the media and change the properties of the <Setup.exe> to <Run as an administrator> and in most cases the <Compatibility mode> needs to be set to the <XP service pack 2/3>. Just click the <Ignore> button when it says it can't write to the media and then right click on the <setup.exe> and click <run as an administrator> just to make sure the system knows it is an admin starting up the executable.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Windows 7 is an impressive OS.

You want some cool stuff?
    - Run any software form your computer without using the mouse by using instant search on the start menu (hit Win key), type the first letters of the program and hit ENTER key... this include control panel item + Inside Control Panel item search. (well Vista had that but not the Control Panel part)
    - Easy access to network computer with remote desktop... open any folders, expend network, and right-click on any computer and you can connect to them easy via Windows remote desktop (assuming that the computer you connect that allows it)
    - Win key + keyboard direction
    - Win key + "+" plus or "-" key to zoom in/out of your desktop (Aero must be turned on)
    - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4385...-desktop-in-windows-7-with-search-connectors/
    - Ability to backup to USB drive your network configurations, from the network management panel.
    - Right click on a library and you can set it to show all the time, on the navigation pane or not.
    - Do Alt+Shift+Tab and while you do it, hit on printScreen and let go. :lol:, do it again to revert.
    - Win + Alt+ # (number key) to open the jump list of each application.

To fix your problem... right-click onto the program and select "Run as Administrator" Since Vista, no one is really administrator. It follow Linux style of doing things by create a layer to drastically increase system security. So if you get a virus, it won't do anything unless YOU allow it to do. If you open Images.jpg(.exe - hidden), and it asks you for Admin... you know something is wrong. You doubclick on file you wanted to select for deleting by mistake.. it can save your life, by clicking on Cancel. Programs can't execute another software as Admin if it's not an admin itself.

Last edited: 1 Oct 2009
  6. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

I updated my OP, any other information anyone thinks needs to be included?

Also thanks for the suggestions, I think I am going to try to restore windows Vista on it and then try to upgrade it from there. At least all my drivers will carry over. :thumb:
    I hope.

7. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

Why upgrade? A fresh install straight to 7 is much cleaner :)

You'll probably find that 90% of drivers will be included, for the others just use the vista drivers. The only driver I've struggled to find is one for the memory stick reader. It still reads cards ok though so is no biggie. Once win7 is released to the mainstream then hopefully sony will release a driver!

8. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Nice thing I found, if you ever need to open up a command prompt in a certain folder just navigate to that folder in explorer then right-click while holding down the shift key and the option will magically appear in the context menu.

9. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

Running Win7 x64 Ultimate RTM at home and Win7 x32 Ultimate RTM at work.

TIPS:
    - WinKey + P
    This will display a shortcut to setting up 2nd monitor for extended desktop or for cloned output etc.
    Most useful for laptops and those whom present a lot on projectors / external displays.

- When you have multiple applications open and wish to minimize all but the focused window, grab your focused window at the top and shake it, all other applications will minimiz, do it again to bring them back.

- View 2 documents/applications side by side, drag the application to the far left or far right to align to the left or right side of the screen.

Last edited: 4 Oct 2009
  10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Reported msg.

john

11. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

You could get this with XP by installing the MS power shell programs... Nice to have this by default though :)

12. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

LOL, come on!

It's Sony!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Is there a way to get Vista's taskbar/start menu on 7? (I don't want to try 7 until I know I can change the new taskbar if I don't like it :( )

14. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yes. Not exactly it, but very close to Vista one.
    - Right-click on the task bar and select "Prepreties".
    - Select "Never combine" under taskbar buttons.

This is my setup. If you want to have the bar smaller like in Vista, then check the box "User small icons". This affects only the icons on the task bar and no where else.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You, like everyone else, will love the new task bar. It's easy to access, jump list is amazing, and you can move items around. You really work faster with it.