1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

The primary thing they need to fix (and they won't) is indexing libraries from remote devices. Otherwise Music/Video/Pictures apps will be as useless as they are now in W8.

2. rollo

rollo Modder

Many things to fix on windows mobile anyway.

Personally learned to live with windows 8 using a mod to remove the stupid start screen it looks like win 7 with under the hood improvements.

Can see it been a vista of uptake from the general consumer. Pcs are just not selling and that's the only way people would get it.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It's not because of Windows 8. It's OEM not innovating or even trying. I have 3k to give to an OEM, and not a single laptop is close to what I want, and use crap internal components, especially on battery side. What I want existed 4 to 6 years ago, so there is no excuse.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2013
  4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

^^^ Word. Samsung only threw a hissy fit and withdrew their Windows RT tablet because they could not create something of at least equal quality to the Surface RT for the same price. Like it or loathe it, when Microsoft is actually producing more innovative hardware than OEMs, it is time for OEMs to be ashamed of themselves.

Very excited about Windows Blue. Like the big and small tile options, the up to four-way snap and better charm arrangements.

5. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Are microsoft not selling the surfaces's as a loss leader to regain money on the apps market?

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The surface was Microsoft screaming to the OEMs 'This is what you should be doing!'. But instead of putting out stuff people might want to buy the OEMs just continued to peddle the same crap they always have and whining about the iPad...

7. Nexxo

Some argue (reasonably) that it should. Microsoft however feels that would give the impression of desperation. Google had to release a Nexus 7 at cost to get people to take notice, while Apple confidently charges a premium.

Microsoft makes a healthy profit on every Surface sold; possibly a bit more than Apple makes on the iPad. Someone calculated However that it also spent the equivalent of over $200,-- per Surface unit on advertising of the tablet. If they'd just deducted that off the sale price they would have sold more...

But Microsoft sees this as a long game, not a main income generator. The Surface raises the cachet of Windows 8. Market research suggests that young people now feel that Microsoft is hipper and more innovative than Apple. And as much as some people may slate the new OS, everyone agrees without exception that the Surface hardware is outstanding.

Basically. Self-serving attributions abound. If they're not selling, it must be Windows 8's fault or Apple's fault. It can't be because they're building rubbish.

8. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Smaller tiles? What about this, Microsoft? :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

The 50/50 is an expected addition, dont know why it took so long.

9. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

What is the point of that graphic?

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I don't know but it reminds me of this

freshsandwiches likes this.
  11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Click on it and read Microsoft blog.
    Apparently big is (was?) better.

12. Nexxo

Didn't you want Microsoft to give people more choice? :rolleyes:

On my Surface RT, even a small square would still be about the same size as a square icon on the iPad (0.47" vs 0.54" square in physical size). Or is that too small for you also? Of course not.

There are many valid criticisms that could be made of Windows 8, but this is getting a bit pathetic, don't you think?

Last edited: 25 Mar 2013
  13. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Sure. But Microsoft defended the larger icons\tiles from critics saying smaller ones were harder to hit. Now it changes its mind and offers the choice of small tiles. Why didnt it changed its mind earlier and had to post that blog article with a ridiculous smaller-than-every-other-icon-in-Windows target example?

- Will Windows Blue come with a File Manager app?

- E11 to include tab syncing

14. Nexxo

So let me get this straight: if Microsoft ignores user wishes, it's wrong. If it responds to user wishes, it's wrong. If it removes choice, it's wrong. If it adds choice, it's wrong. Okaayyy...

In any case, Microsoft never made a statement as to what should be the minimum size of an icon; just that bigger icons are easier to hit than smaller ones (which is true). You interpret that to mean that iPad-standard icons are too small and that Microsoft is making a massive U-turn somehow. :confused:

Last edited: 25 Mar 2013
  15. GoodBytes

Hands on with Windows 8 Blue update

16. RedFlames

Major App Updates due tomorrow [25/3]

Noteworthy thing here... which will annoy many people i know [me included is] this... which i will put in big crayon letters...

The Calendar App will no longer sync with Google Calendar

17. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

I really wish using Snapview and you only have one app open it, rather than giving you a big blank space when you resize would give you a resized start screen, or at least some quick links to open the 2nd app you want without going going back the the full start screen.
    http://youtu.be/-JeLT-gSF3w?t=5m25s

Looking forward to all the changes in blue though, as long as it's free :)

18. GoodBytes

Yea, but that is Google that pulled the service out.

19. RedFlames

Never said otherwise... Just making people aware of it...

20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

The support sucked already. No support for multiple calendars made it pretty much useless, so no great loss.