1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 upgrade programme leaked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 15 May 2012.

1. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

@ Goodbytes, I respect some of your opinions, but please don't attempt to blow holes in mine without having all the facts and thinking just because you posted it then you must be right. Some of the things you say about Vista, DX10 etc are not really in line with the reams of proof available that sunstantiates errors in what you would say are facts......SLI did not work on Vista for a long time for example...... but I admire your persistence, last time I heard stuff like this was from a person who worked for the marketing team of said products.

I'd like to move away from the discussion of obsolete OS's though and read more about Win8.

As for win8, I am not hanging flags from my house with a countdown to release, I am interested in it though and I watch out for updates with great interest - I am not against new stuff (never have been), as long as the features are a benefit..... even if that means spending some time re-learning the GUI to maximise the 'ease of use'.

2. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

It's been said before but it can't be said often enough: As long as Microsoft tries to force-shove (is that even a word?) Metro on desktop pc down our throats (or mine at least) Windows 8 is a non-starter. No matter how many other nifty bits are in there (and there are some).

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I'll probably be upgrading to Win8, provided they do the cut price launch offer like the one that prompted me to buy Win7.
    Also, I'm a sysadmin, so somewhere down the line I'll have to support Win8, so I might as well get started on it. In fact, a lot of the changes in Win8, but especially Server 8 (or 2012, or whatever it's going to be called) will be pretty good in the business world.
    However, just as my desktop OS, with nothing else considered I don't have many reasons to upgrade apart from the NEW SHINY!!! factor.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

I've been running W8CP for a couple of weeks.

I had half an hour of "OMGWTFISTHIS" and nearly put my keyboard through my monitor trying to wrangle Metro to do my will.

However...

After I got over trying to force W8 to be like W7 and just went with it...I actually quite like Metro now and combined with the other improvements (such as the improved task manager) it's a definite purchase for me on release.

I honestly think that if you're open to change and then give it a DECENT chance to show you what it can do without trying to force it to behave the way your current OS behaves then I think it's got a really good chance of succeeding the W7 successor.

For most people....those people who aren't on Bit Tech.....who aren't geeking out at every new hardware and software release, W8 (and Metro) will be very welcome. People still see W7 as being over-complicated and are terrified of clicking anything they're don't use every single day. Metro will take that fear away, since it's all very clear, very obvious and very simplistic.

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

WTF happened to my post?

Anyway...

I reckon Windows 7 has the longevity to outlast XP's epic life cycle, so I'll leave Windows 8 alone and see if MS rush out a replacement when it bombs. Just like Vista.

Windows releases look to be emulating the Star Trek films - every other one sucks.

6. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I think a Microsoft secret agent hacked in and deleted it :worried:

7. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Micorosfoft would have to fix the dual-personality disorder Windows 8 has before I even begin thinking on buying it.

8. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Windows 8 is coming a long nicely.
    [​IMG]
    Microsoft is on an excellent path.

Last edited: 19 May 2012
Tags: Add Tags