1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows costs more (ransom) money

Discussion in 'Software' started by ModSquid, 5 Apr 2024.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Not sure, both my B450's (MSI & Gigabyte) have the latest bios and I had the same issue with my old laptop.

It's not a major issue, I have usb 2's laying around and they're slow so I may as well use them for something (also for bios updates too)

It may be my usb 3 sticks, I've tried a couple of different brands and sizes but maybe it's just them and it's by chance.

2. kim

kim hardware addict

Well, this is another unexplainable issue to sort in the "computer oddities file" you're right, if it works with USB 2, why bother, it works anyway :grin:

adidan likes this.
  3. adidan

Yeah it's not the first and it won't be the last thing that leaves me puzzled for no apparent reason :happy:

TBH I actually like having a use for those usb 2 sticks :happy:

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Beat me to it :lol:

5. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Laughed out loud at POPCNT. Sounds like a label that'd get flung around in a stand-off between an indie musician and Taylor Swift.

This is super weird. I've installed from Sandisk Ultra Fit, Sandisk Ultra, Ultra Flair, Sandisk Extreme...wow, I guess I use Sandisk a lot for USB and flash cards. But also the Lexar P-whatever super fast ones, and older Kingston 1st-gen USB 3 sticks, on honestly dozens of USB 3 controllers, both built into the chipset and third-party ones, including through USB 3 hubs. One of my favourite things about w10 as a PE is how it just boots on absolutely everything, in whichever mode you tell it to (MBR, GPT, legacy, secureboot, EFI, BIOS, whatever). I never even have to think about it, just pop the stick in, do what I want to the motherboard's config, and it works. Other utilities and PEs like Linux distros and Ventoy, you've gotta make a stick per configuration - I gave up on Ventoy for this exact reason, even though it's amazing, having to have one stick for BIOS/MBR and one for GPT/EFI/SecureBoot was just frustrating.

What exact USB sticks have given you this trouble, may I ask? I'm curious if there are certain USB flash controllers or brands that are not w10/w11 PE compatible, that'd be big.

edit -
    This is really interesting because it aligns with the trajectory of SO many big tech companies. A lot of the anti-Elon spaces online talk often of how he didn't actually add a huge amount of innovation or value to Tesla, he was just a venture capitalist who spotted a good company, bought it, injected cash and took credit. That seems to be the template for success in silicon valley, and in the west generally - be a dragon, scope out good ideas, give them sorely-needed startup cash, ride the wave and take the credit when they get huge. It is a valuable skill, of course, being able to pick out good ideas and talent and viable businesses and elavating them to the next level, but it's weird to me how we're willing to over-identify these products and services with the investors who cherry-picked them and gave them money, at the expense of crediting the original creators and engineers who did all the work.

Last edited: 29 Apr 2024
  6. adidan

Kioxia (formerly Toshiba ?) and SanDisk iirc. Maybe a lexar, tbh I've lost track as we're talking over a long period of time

I'm starting to think maybe it's me. I mean I wouldn't be surprised but I'm not sure how.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

It gets worse with Elon Musk.

He quite literally bought the title of “Founder” (or it might have been “Cofounder”) of Tesla and squeezed the original two founders out of the business.

He was basically fired from the company that became PayPal. He’d founded X.com way way way back in the day to do basically the same thing. X.com merged with Cofinity - Peter Thiel’s outfit, which offered PayPal as a side benefit - and Musk was forced out with a golden parachute. It was later discovered that Musk’s X.com code base was riddled with hilariously severe bugs, and basically the entire thing had to be ripped up and rebuilt. And here we are, over 20 years later, with Musk reviving his failed dotcom brand X.com after buying Twitter…

The only thing the man has ever achieved was to be born into wealth.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Elon's entire business model:-

[​IMG]

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Interesting.

No, wait, the other thing - enraging.

10. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

And presumably it’s also bad news for one of their most important user bases: corporate users. Still a hell of a lot of remote working going on in tech companies.

These days I’m on a Mac at work, so…. **** ‘em :grin:

12. Midlight

Midlight Minimodder

Yes, though you do get the option of not deploying an update if it causes issues. Though that would depend on each companies IT department to read the news or do testing. So, I will probably lose VPN access shortly.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Indeed, any company rolling out Windows machines should be managing updates centrally. But, as you say, it really depends on how good those admins are and how much actual real-world testing they do.

14. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Plus the article mentions "Don't install the updates, don't get the new security features"...

15. adidan

Huh. I noticed my OHs laptop had downloaded an update so I checked to see what it was before it installed.

It had paused itself, I wonder if this now an automatic action they've put in place since they've been borking VPNs?

In other news, W11 usership has reduced while W10 has increased. Perhaps down to the soon to be paperweight making of WMR headsets later this year in W11?