1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows updates not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by KD88, 30 Apr 2011.

1. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

I received the latest Windows updates a few days ago from Microsoft. which loaded when I closed down my PC. When I started up the next day, however, when windows started the configuration they would not load. The circle indicator was turning but the progress percentage stuck at zero until it gave up and informed me that it had failed.

Fair enough, I thought, I can probably live without them. When I shut down again I got the same updates reloading and again failing to configure.

This has happened every day, which leaves me waiting about 10 minutes for the dam thing to start.
    Any suggestions? :confused:

2. nOracle

nOracle What's a Dremel?

I had the same problem, they seem to have installed properly today though, so I can't really help I'm afraid.

3. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

It probably downloaded an update that got corrupted during the download process, and it tried to install that. It's bound to have someone in having this bad luck. Do Method #2 in Bulldog link, THEN run MANUALLY the Windows Update, and do it yourself. This will also give you the chance to see the error code, if any, and be able to diagnose it. Maybe it tried to install SP1 (assuming you don't have it already) and it fails for a certain reason, just for a hypothetical example.

Once done, everything should be fine.

5. Jokaz

Jokaz What's a Dremel?

I had exactly the same problem this week with windows constantly trying to install updates and failing. I took a look at the install log via control panel - windows update - view history and then updated the ones which had failed manually which worked for me.

6. KD88

KD88 Minimodder

Thanks guys, cleared the files as per the link, but couldn't install windows installer 3.1 because I got an error message saying there was not enough space, (which space was too small it didn't say) but the updates have now installed correctly.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

if using windows 7, have you tried fixing problems with windows update, via troubleshooting in the action centre?

8. Booga

Booga Cuppa tea anyone?

I had the same problem it stuck at 0% complete on restart then eventually it completed and all seems to be OK.
    I checked the history and it seems that 3 updates had failed but were subsequently completed OK.

9. T2I3M

T2I3M Minimodder

I too had this problem. After a short amount of time I gave in and switched my pc off. When I restarted it though everything was fine.