1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Development World of Warcraft Mod Writing

Discussion in 'Software' started by CanadaPhil, 17 Sep 2008.

1. CanadaPhil

CanadaPhil New Member

I'm thinking about trying to write a mod for World of Warcraft and was hoping to get some information for starting into this project.
    For anybody who has experience writing mods for World of Warcraft, what language do you use?
    Is there a recommended editor for building the mods?
    I'll save all the "how" questions for later. :p
    Phil

2. Jackypoos

Jackypoos Will it blend?

I think they use LUA. But thats as far as my knowledge goes =[ I've been wanting to try that for a while, but never got round to it. A google search should find some tutorials and/or basics of it

3. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

There is no modding in WoW. You can use LUA Script to create "Scripts" that can help automate certain aspects of the game, but you can't "Mod" in the sense of introducing new content/changes to the way the game behaves, new models, etc. But you can make scripts like DPS (Damage Per Second) counters, Quest helpers etc. But the library of WoW scripts is ridiculously huge so almost everything that is worth doing has been done already.

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Just because it has been done doesnt mean someone else shouldn't try it too :)

WoW uses LUA script - but search for "wow lua tutorial" on google or something as lua is used by a few things and, if you're a beginner, you might want a more comprehensive guide.

5. st8ofpain

st8ofpain New Member

LUA is the format

Ebay has books for sale that can help with the whole process. enjoy the whole experience. for any further advice may i sugjest curse.com, they have great forums and free download addons for wow.

6. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

damm an entire library of mod's and WoW still sucks

7. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Your troll score: 2/10

You may not like WoW, but the fact that it's this popular says something about how much it sucks.

8. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Its not that I'm a troll its just that I truly hate WoW putting aside the fact that Guild Wars is so much better. I think that WoW is just so cartoonish.

9. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

And considering the miserable failure of games like Timesplitters: future perfect, Team Fortress 2 and the like, that's definitely a valid criteria for criticism.

Also, unsubstantiated assertions likely to offend are trolling, even if you don't mean to. Good intentions don't count for much these days.

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

You were offended someone said WoW sucks? Well it does.