1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News WoW add-on is the fastest selling game in history

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 24 Jan 2007.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Wow, that's a seriously fast-selling game. Good job they've got so many copies lined up - it must've gone gold ages ago.

3. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Wow, (no pun intended) so in the first day a quarter of the players bought the expansion. How many more have bought it since? That's just crazy.

4. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

Wish they'd spend more of their 100million/month on making the servers less prone to lag....

5. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I just hope a significant portion of that is going into Starcraft 2.

Last edited: 24 Jan 2007
  6. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

$100m per month????

Ching ching! :eek:

7. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

I wonder how all the 14 year ods that play it managed to get the money, I bet they turned to theft to get there fix, and UK crime ratings went up several percent

8. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

terrible game, turns you into a loser/ruins your life. ive seen it too many times, its pathetic.

9. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

No more so than other games do/can...
    2 of my housemates spend MUCH more time playing Football manager than I do on WoW (and I spend a fair bit of time on it atm). Depends how "into" a game you get.

10. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Will, according to MCV:
    Still, it's a great accomplishment - especially for an MMORPG, which have mostly been for the select hardcore few in the past.

11. specofdust

specofdust Banned

All MMO's have the capacity to do that. People just need to beware of themselves and the fact that they're playing "addictive" games when starting an MMO. Beyond that, it's all on them.

I still kinda hate WoW - it's brought a lot of less mature(and more annoying/trolly) people into the MMO world, and it's really pulled the rug out from under a great many other MMO's. I know that's not its fault per se, but it still kinda sucks choice wise.

I would have been happier to see WoW be still a hardcore niche thing. I guess good for Blizzard though, they must be a very, very happy company right now. WoW is a lisence to print money.

12. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

WOW has also made a dent in the rest of the online community, with people so absorbed in WOW, they don't come and play better games.

13. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Guess it depends on the person really, I played wow for a while got bored of it went back to eve but during that time I always went out with my mates. Also if anyone wants a free wow character (lv 24 rogue human) pm me and i'll sort it out. Might as well give it to someone if im not using it.

14. O_O

O_O What's a Dremel?

A lot of 'crazy' people here in Latvia too :) I've heard from couple of guys here that it's almost impossible to get 'expansion' now.

15. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Everyone finds it easy to label an MMO as a game that Ruins a life. I have a friend who plats NBA 2k7 everyday to maintain his online rating. Burning Crusade really does deserve alot of the praise it's getting. The very first day of gameplay was really fun. I'm trying to keep up with the average leveling pace (Someone reached 70 within 27hrs of the expansion's release) so I can have alot of people to group up with. They are addressing the server issues also. Any server who's population does not decrease via free transfers they are offering will have the population split, and the server will become two seperate realms so that the overhead is lowered.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

predictable, most of my wow playing friends have it already.

17. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

all 3 of my housemates waited outside gamestop for their preorders...

one of them is 26, and has no career or even a job. has been doing nothing but this.

another, 26, doesnt even notice for hours when his girlfriend comes to visit...when he does he turns around in his chair and says "hey babe" then turns around and plays the game more... at least he has a job and own the house...

the 3rd, whom is my age, doesnt have a job, or any friends outside of this house... he decided not to go to college this semester for the game... he hasnt left the house as far as i can tell since november, i know his car hasnt moved, its covered in/surrounded by feet of snow. today he has been playing for 36 hours straight, he finally went to bed an hour or so ago... he sets alarms to wake up to play he he finally has to go to sleep due to exaustion.. claims he has "gaming obligations"

18. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

oh i think i should go on... a girl i know (shes 15) hooks up with men she meets on WoW and has these weird email relationships. i busted her 3 times with her mother over it. the last one was fairly serious, a 30 year old man on a different continent. they were secretly sending packages back and fourth, phone calls, chat, pictures. i busted her on that one too, and her mother got the police involved. we got the guy busted for being a predator.

the game is sick, something should be done, maybe they should limit how long in a day you can play it. i know that many people that have been adversely affected. and at least 3 others in similar but a little less sever situations. everyone you talk to seems to know at least one person like that with this game. thats kinda weird. not only that but there are people on it using it as a way to stalk girls.

sure some people play other games too much, but it passes. wow has been going on for like what? 3 years? its going to be more with this expansion. and with other games they dont use it as a substitute for real life. a guy playing a basketball game online doesn't sit there all day every day, quit his job and school, and stop talking to his real life friends. if you confront a wow junkie about how they never leave the house or talk to people or make friends, they tell you they make friends in the game and that its no different than going out in real life.

whats worse is the stories that ive head from them, there are people playing that even they think are sad... one of my house mates was telling me about the night they all got drunk while playing and were loud on ventrillo, and they were telling their "friends in the game" they were drinking. one of those friends said "people play this sober?" and i guess he plays all the time too. and they thought that was sad...

game is weird. its addicting problematic for peoples lives

Last edited: 25 Jan 2007
  19. casey_cole

casey_cole Minimodder

One of my mates is determined to do higher education, but he hasn't been to school for the last year and 1.X terms...because of WoW.

Basically, he's been playing non-stop for 17 months, day in, day out. He's completely skint and has undergone a complete personality change...he's so obsessed he's not really my mate anymore.

CC

20. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

thats how it is here. these 3 guys were my friends, and then they moved into this house. a year or so later i decided to transfer colleges to the one in the city where my friends live. so i moved in with them due to cheap rent. i put my computer upstairs in the computer room, and kinda expected that i would be able to talk to them and stuff like we used to when we would all get together...they put on headphones and mics and never speak to one another unless its over ventrillo... i stopped going upstairs.. its like i have the whole house to myself, i only see them when they go to pick up some fast food from arbys or taco bell or something. i dont really talk to them anymore except for a "hi, how are you doing" theyre always busy playing.. its like theyre completely different people.... anthough im not complaing, ive got other friends and pretty much a whole house to myself

Tags: Add Tags