1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice x58 mobo upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brave758, 10 Jul 2011.

?

which mobo

1. evga x58 classified 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. evga x58 classified 4-way sli

25.0%
  3. asus R3E

75.0%
  1. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Hey all, I'm looking at getting a new mobo for my system and was after some feed back. I'm thinking the asus r3e or the evga x58 classified 3, also tempted by the classified 4 way sli.

Was after some feed back and opinions thanks

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Why do you need a new motherboard?

3. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Fancied a change. planning to keep the system for another few years so was planning to upgrade the board while x58 board were still easy to get. Have seen a lot of shops starting to sell off stock now.

4. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

I'd personally just keep the one you have, as it's comparible to the others really, unless your willing to spend ages sweaking your system to get every MHz out of it...

Personally it'd be the R3E as I have a red and black theme and the Rampage boards are very good.

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I never personally experience EVGA boards, but going with ASUS would be a disappointment from your Gigabyte board. It is cheaper quality.

Beside that point, your are wasting your money. If you want more performance, wait for affordable SATA 6Ggps controllers and get a nice fast SSD.

You will not see any speed increase with a new motherboard... especially when using the exact same Intel controller (which you don't have a choice because Nvidia can't make chipsets for Intel now (and don't want too, because Intel will find wtv reason to take them to court, to keep their monopoly for their processors)

6. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

I disagree that Asus are cheaper quality than Gigabyte GoodBytes. All manufacturers do budget boards and higher quality premium models. I think that a change from a UD3R (middle of the road X58) to either EVGA Classified or R3E (both top end) would be an upgrade in terms of quality.

I have the R3E and have been very happy with it, more so now the latest BIOS has fixed the only niggle I had with it.

However, I do agree that any upgrade in quality would not necessarily coincide with an upgrade in noticeable performance. Me personally, I'd spend the circa £200 elsewhere. Water Chiller and then increase your overclock, or just run cooler?

Last edited: 10 Jul 2011
  7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I can understand if you don't like ASUS boards out of personal preference an opinion but calling it cheaper quality is boarderline libelous. Even I wouldn't have done that in a review since there's no evidence to back that up, not to mention the fact you're comparing an ROG board against a basic UD3R. The UD3R itself is a good board, but it's not UD9 either.

Look at the R3BE as well, Brave.

8. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Bindi is spy!

(On a serious note, i wouldn't go as far as to call ASUS cheap but that UD PCB feels good, man... even if it doesn't really do anything)

9. GoodBytes

Sure, but at least someone picks up the phone when calling for an RMA

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Different regions in every company have different support. :(

Dragon :p Hardly as spy. I don't pipe up every time someone mentions the MSI GD53, I respect they are cheaper for the same features and performance. That makes sense and ASUS has to be more competitive. It's only the UEFI quality that's subjectively different.

11. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Bindi, your a bad man. again another nice choice..... maybe..... If it is gona be the final upgrade it would be nice to have all the bells and whistles as well. I'll give it a look also.:thumb:

12. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

OK, but how does that cheapen the quality of the hardware? Its been said in many threads before today that customer service levels are interpreted differently from customer to customer. You might have had a bad experience in Canada, but nevertheless, the fact remains that Asus R3E is a high quality board regardless of your customer service experience albeit unfortunate.

13. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

Im about to find out what the Asus customer support is like as my REII just died :(

14. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Ouch looked at the r3ebe price in the uk ok its expensive but canada ouch 600 cad ouch ouch. It doesn't make sense though.... the r3e is cheaper in canada and the other models also.

I'm tempted to buy from the US and just pay the 5% gst it still works out cheaper with shipping the lot???

Anyone got any shops they would recommend from the US or Canada as i have no idea on that side of the world.

Do the other Canadian user just buy from the US (especially as the loony is strong at the mo)

Thanks

15. GoodBytes

Well if you buy from the U.S you better get there yourself to avoid duty fees (assuming it's under 500$ (see regulations as it depends on how many days you stay, and I ma going form memory here)), or (depending how good this ship it), pay 2 taxes (5% from the states, and out provincial and federal taxes) with USPS. I highly doubt the store will ship it to you as a "gift", to avoid these fees.

It depends where you order. Like Dell Canada is cheaper than the U.S when you buy systems or their own monitors. Sometimes (and most of it), it's the contrary.

16. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

RE3, lovely board. Still have two RE2's here atm and they've been solid so far.

17. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Hey guys anyone got any feed back on the rampage 3 formula ????

18. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

Well update....

I ended up getting the rampage 3 formula. What a great board hitting higher clocks on lower voltages great layout and looks great. No capacitor buzz etc etc the list just goes on. What a great board on first impresions.

Well done Asus a great product ROG I'm sold

Guest-16 likes this.