Motherboards X79 Motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by damien c, 25 Mar 2013.

1. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Always one or two who say wait for *** or hold out for ***.

If everyone did that in this industry, nobody would have anything nice.

These are normally the people that never invest in high end components anyhow ;).

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Pull the trigger on Saturday! :thumb:

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I will be upgrading probably in March next year again but only if needed, which I doubt it will be needed but we shall see.

I normally try to upgrade once a year as when I upgrade, there are 4 other pc's that upgraded using my old bit's and so on.

4. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I am normally one of those saying to people to wait and see what new stuff is like, but normally I end up telling people to upgrade when they have the money.

5. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Right I have increased the budget to £1100.

I am now going to be getting some of the Monsoon Red fittings as they look really nice, and they look like they work better than normal compression fittings.

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/mons...-2)-compression-fitting-straight-six-pack-red

Now final question before I try and get to Scan today instead of on Saturday.

Is getting 16Gb of 1600Mhz CL8 ram worth it compared to either 16Gb 1600Mhz CL9 for £10 difference or should I just stick with getting 8Gb of 1600Mhz CL9 ram for now?

6. Fat Tony

Fat Tony Minimodder

I'm not an expert, but for a £10 difference, go for the better spec - I look at differences like this in terms of pints of beer, it's three pints difference - you can live with three pints of beer less in your life.

Apparently (I've read on forums) not many games use more than 4Gb of RAM anyway - buuut, always remember, if you go for the small number, you'll always wonder how much better going with the big number would have been, and this nagging doubt will eventually lead you to buying the big number in the end - so you might as well go with the big number right from the start, and save yourself the bother and expense of buying a succession of gradually increasing smaller numbers.

7. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Cheer's but the upgrade may have just hit a issue.

My parents have just been hit with some bad news and as such I may have to help them out which if I do, my upgrade will go out the window :waah:

8. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

That's a shame :[

The SB-E club is a great place to be, we'll be waiting for you whenever you can join :lol:

9. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

+1!!!!

10. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Upgrade complete, will post thread either tonight or tomorrow morning.

11. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well started to load windows etc and I am getting nothing but problems.

Will have to test things tomorrow but its looking like I will be taking things back to scans on Tuesday to get therm replaced.

12. xxxsonic1971

xxxsonic1971 W.O.T xxxsonic1971

I hope you get it sorted soon, can someone here be of any help?

13. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have just woke up and I am about to start trying to figure out what is faulty if anything is at all.

Basically what is happening is this.

Connect DVD Drive up and install Windows 7, but when it reboots for the 1st time it doesn't load properly and I have to hit the reset button and then it will load in the next section of the windows installer.

Once windows is installed, I keep getting on every 2 or so boot's the windows logo appearing and on the board the error code showing up is AE so I hit the reset button and it will boot.

I then get in to windows and try to do something and it just takes ages, to the point where it took nearly 30 minutes to install Nero and the windows updates took just under 2 hours.

I have just downloaded a fresh windows 7 iso from Digital River and I am putting it on a USB Pen Drive to try reinstalling windows from that, to see if that helps.

I have also just downloaded Memtest86+ to run that as well to test the ram, and then obviously if any errors show I will have to test each stick at a time.

Got a busy day ahead of me :(

14. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well memtest86+ got to 50% and then I stopped it because I think I made a mistake when installing windows yesterday with the data port that I used so just trying a fresh install now.

15. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

How did the memtest go?

16. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Not ran a full test yet but at the 50% mark no errors was showing.

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

What board did you go with, and what Bios version is on it?

18. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I got the rampage iv extreme and the BIOS is 3 something, installing the windows updates at the moment so will check once its done.

19. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

Well everything looked like it was going fine, then I plugged in my other HDDs and now it,s not booting properly.

20. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Silly question, but what are the temps like? The cooler is seated properly, right? I had similar issues once and reseating the HS made all the difference