1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Xbox 360 Xbox 360: Elder Scrolls IV Oblivion

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by lanester, 27 Mar 2006.

1. lanester

lanester What's a Dremel?

Was just wondering what you guys think, after the rave reviews and beening an RPG and FPS fan i went out and got a copy.

Not sure wether i like it or not, i seem to be doin really crap as well (keep dying!)

Admittedly the graphics are awsome, any tips? or views?

2. simosaurus

simosaurus What's a Dremel?

well ive got the PC version, but im sure the same rules apply :) im also finding it v hard, i suggest u go to the arena at the right of the city and enter the duels, to win money and experience, should give u the upper hand elsewhere.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've only played for an hour or so but I'm enjoying it. The graphics are pwning my card :( I'll have to put some more time in to make a real decision, but I'm finding it much more intuitive than Morrowind, which is nice.
    Of course it was missing a driver file when I went to run it... go figure. Once I got that sorted though, all was well.

4. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I'm enjoying it on the 360 so far, although I've only just finished the training bit in the sewers. Well worth getting I think.

5. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I played this on my 360 for almost 8hrs last night. In those 8hrs, I only completed the very first part of the storyline quest which is an easy journey to see a monk. The rest of the time I did the following:

- was thrown in jail for pick pocketing a merchant
    - cured a village of comical invisibility curse
    - stole a horse by accident, and was chased GTA style through the night by an irrate watchman who tried to arrest me but from whom I resisted arrest
    - explored the sewers under the imperial city
    - fought skeleton guards in a ruined keep
    - explored several mysterious ruins I found by accident
    - wandered, Aragorn style through the woods at night killing bandits and wolves
    - took part in a challenge for the thieves guild but lost to an NPC competitor who stole the item I was supposed to recover first
    - then stole the item back from the NPC when I bumped into her and she bragged she'd hidden it somewhere
    - broke into several merchant warehouses in the dead of night and stole EVERYTHING

The reviews do not lie, you could completely forget about the main quest in Oblivion and just piss about in the countryside for days without doing anything constructive.

The lighting on the 360 is just superb. The day/night cycle is stunning, especially first thing in the morning. The HDR effects are on a par with the stuff in GRAW, in many cases surpass them.

My only gripe is the way the distant landscape loses some of it's texture (mainly grassy hills) until you get closer - it can look pretty odd in some cases and just slightly breaks the illusion sometimes.

I am so chuffed the GMB are on strike today - no teaching for me! Oblivion instead!

6. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

Do you have an HDTV to go with your Xbox360?

7. Kaze22

Kaze22 What's a Dremel?

You don't need a HD TV, anyone who owns a LCD Computer Display with resolution of 1280 or 1600 can enjoy the Xbox output, just buy a DVI connector from Miscrosoft and hook up the Xbox to the monitor and bam you're playing games at HD res, although an HD TV is bigger but a good LCD Display is next best thing. I suggest the Ferrari F20 display it's about a quater of the price of a HD TV and gives you good 1600 res with nice 800:1 Contrast only gripe is it doesn't have DVI-HDCP but by then HD TV's will be dirt cheap anyway.

8. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Dell 2005 FPW and a 360 is pure heaven. Oblivion looks fantastic on it and more than big enough for a desk based gaming setup - I use the Microsoft VGA adapter for my 360, and my PC goes in the DVI socket. Sorted.

9. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

No, hidef projector, 8ft screen and a 360: that's heaven :D :jawdrop:

10. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

^ Git.

Anyone else snookered on the first Oblivion gate quest? I got to Kvatch to speak to the heir, and I can either try and close the Oblivion gate by going through it, or enter the city. Both are crawling with pretty hard bad guys. Anyone manage to do either of these yet? i'm a level 3 thief so far.

11. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

Now that I've finally got my VGA cable, I'm using my dell widescreen monitor.
    I want a HDTV but I can't see me getting one for a very, very, very, long time (unless by a stroke of luck I win the lottery this weekend or something......)

Here's the setup on my normal TV
    [​IMG]
    and on my Dell
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 28 Mar 2006
  12. tkh

tkh Minimodder

I chose to go through the gate and did it first time, just remember to keep using your healing magic often. The imps can be a pain in the arse, but just either use bow and arrow from distance remembering to dogde their fireballs or just go in RAMBO style and slaughter them up close.

P.S : I was only on level 1 when I closed the gate.

13. mushky

mushky gimme snails

That's what I'm doing now. I went through the gate. I keep getting my ass handed to me.

I haven't been playing it long. about 2 or 3 barges from those imps kills me. Just gonna keep saving and loading I guess.

You could probably use up a whole bulb with this game alone.

14. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

Wow! Now I know a proper Xbox360 experience doesn't have to be so expensive after all.
    The games on the x360 are a bit pricy at the moment though aren't they...
    How much is Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (one of the games on the Xbox360 that I like)?

15. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Yeah same here, imps are killable but more than one is a problem. Also, once I get into the tower on the plane, this evil looking dude in armour attacks me with lightning spells.

*Load/Save x100*

BTW Play.com has this for a mere £39.99. Ok so that's a lot more than the PC version, but still a tenner cheaper than somewhere like GAME.

16. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

Yeah Play.com/gameplay.com are always the best with prices, when it comes to games. They don't sell a single Xbox360 game over £40.
    What screen-size is the Dell 2005 FPW? I might get that one.

17. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

20inch widescreen.

18. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

I can't see how this could be possible. I've fought right to the top of the last tower now, and I'm facing off against a Darth Maul looking wizard dude that can summon imps, and an armour wearing Freddie Kruger look-a-like. At level 3 I'm getting my ass kicked in minutes.

Anyone any idea if these dungeons or locations 'reset' themselves if you leave and come back later?

19. mushky

mushky gimme snails

Apparently the enemies level up with you.

p.s. same place I'm at. I've had enough for tonight.

edit- had to have another go. Finally did it :) I found that trying to lure each creature out one at a time into a different room helped to work my way through them. Damn this game is hard.

Last edited: 29 Mar 2006
  20. mookboy

mookboy BRAAAAAAP

Only problem is that when I get to the very last room, there's a mace weilding freak in armour... AND the wizard chap too. And I'm out of arrows. I might try going back to the city to stock up on arrows and come back again - hoping nothing respawns.

BTW which class did you choose? I'm a thief - great for city life, not too clever when taking on evil doers in a toe-to-toe fight.

Tags: