1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XBox: Sun

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by bushd, 4 Aug 2003.

1. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

The store sells all colors vinyl dye, it is an online camaro store. This is for interior seating paint I believe.

?DR Classic

Vinyl dye is at the bottom of the page. Price is a bit high but they have all colors wanted.

Painting is taking longer to finish because it was done, but I noticed bulged spots from the masking tape and places of paint overlap causing this too. I lightly filed this and began repainting. Won't be to much extra work, however I will not be half-assing this one.

I have four colors of LEDs. I thought I have two orange, two yellow which is good for the colors, but I have nearly 100 UV and blue LEDs too. I could do much more with those. And each of the colors will go well with the orange controller. I was thinking of using the blue ones, possibly UV. What do others think of color to use?

On a side note, the orange isn't as bright in real life as it is there. I wish it was, however the black original plastic didn't help that. Flash is what made that appear so bright.

2. Shogun

Shogun Banned

Bit off topic but does anyone know of anywhere in the uk that sells many colours of vinyl dye?(especialy orange) I will be needing it for my hl2 case for the front bezel and i cant find anywhere to sell it:waah:

3. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

Starting clearcoat now using Rustoleum clearcoat gloss finish. Should turn out nice, I hope. Hopefully the paints don't react, different brands. Will have pictures on it tomorrow.

4. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

WAIT A MINUTE... :eyebrow: :grr:

I thought the advantage of Vinyl Dye over spray paint was that it was not only a thicker, more bonded finish but also that it didn't need clearcoat to toughen it up!? :confused:

5. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

I thought so too, however the vinyl dye is easily scratched. That is alright for things that don't take much abuse constantly, but for an XBox controller I decided to go the extra step and not require repaint for a while. Just did my third coat a while back, it should be completely done paint wise in the morning.

Taking a peice of plexi, gluing two together and making a small wheel the width of the xbox sticker on the controller, then going to dome shape it. Should be fun, especially with heat guns.

6. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

Pictures of the clearcoating on front, back still drying:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. A13n0rma1

A13n0rma1 Wannabe

VERY vivid, if not bright and luminating.

Shiney too [ good to see clearcoating worked out OK ]

Rated at 4, since it's not done yet :D

8. michaeln3

michaeln3 What's a Dremel?

Did you have any problems putting rustoleum clearcoat over the vinyl dye? I was considering doing that myself, but wasn't sure if it would stick very well. Did you do any preparations? (sanding, etc)

9. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

No, no problems at all. The only problem was self inflicted, either rough spot here because of not enough sprayed or bubbles. I don't know how to stop the bubbles. Overall I think it turned out well but I do plan on doing a second controller, I have a feeling it will turn out much better.

[The bubbles are not really visible, at an edge in an unlooked spot. Rough spots, really not that rough, will surely be smoothed over after gameplay for a while.]

10. rogueoracle

rogueoracle What's a Dremel?

I have a question. You posted earlier that you were gonna buy a "make your own bubble sticker" kit . I was gonna do the same for my controllers, which i dyed and added LEDs to, but after much searching all i could find were square case badge sticker kits. Do you have a link to a site that provides a kit to make round ones?

11. bushd

bushd What's a Dremel?

Don't have one for round ones, never searched. I have a feeling order a square one, get the feeling of it and make your own round one. I will be using plexi, plexi clear adhesive and a bit of heat/filing to make my own bubble jewel, eventually.