1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Xbox v PC

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by antec900, 5 Aug 2009.

1. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

^^ THIS. hence me having a 360.

There's a difference in how you play games between a PC and a console.
    Allow me to elaborate (and yes, i am aware that this might be completely subjective):
    I'm Playing COD4 on the PC. My Mate calls and asks "What are you doing?" My response would be "Playing games"
    If i play COD4 on my 360, my mate called with the same question, i'd answer "Nothing"

And THAT'S the point for me. Yes, the games cost more. Cost-wise, there's no really substantial difference for me (40+ games on the 360 over 3 years worked out a bit more expensive than buying ONE gaming rig (plus 40+ games) for me... truth is, i'd probably have bought one rig and then upgraded, Costing me again.). YES, a PC might be able to pull out better graphics. The point is, that console gaming (to me) is not really an activity... it's something i do in my spare time. It's perfect for quick-fix gaming. Where a PC is not.

2. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^Ditto.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

NO!

4. Hardware150

Hardware150 Minimodder

The aliens, the crappy AI on the korean nano suit guys, the helicopter bit, the spaceship no grav bit, the last boss, the fact that all other difficulty levels but the hardest one are pointless to play on, the fact you need a computer from the future to play it.

Its fun but best FPS since half life 2?

I thought that was half life 2 ep 2, and if that doesn't count, stalker :p

But whats any of this got to do with xbox 360 vs pc.

IMO xbox is for little kids who whine at there parents, or people who want all that acheivment stuff on xbox live, or as someone i know, for something to play on inbetween parties and buy download pirate games for.

5. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Well PC gaming is more expensive initially, there are more things to troubleshoot and doesn't support split-screen however if you have a decent PC alredy then you can spend £100 on a new graphics card and be pretty much set plus games are cheaper and there are less pheriphals to buy.

+1. Consoles are more social.

6. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

Every console v PC debate I see, someone always brings up the old 'sofa' argument, as if to say that you can't do PC gaming from a sofa and with your PC connected to your 40" 1080p tv with a wireless gamepad.
    http://www.gametrailers.com/user-movie/your-solution-to-pc-gaming/324547#comments_top

If you can wait to get a console game for 20, then a PC gamer can wait and get a PC game for half price as well.

The shelf life of a console can be up to 8 years. However, if you are comparing 'like for like', then you must do a fair comparison. So, if you compare a PC which has similar specs to a console and you do not plan to upgrade your PC for 8 years, then it's no different to having a console with no upgrade options for 8 years. It just means you have to turn down your game settings to match what you would have had with the 8-year console. At least with a PC, you have the choice to upgrade if you want to experience even better graphics. Wheras with a console you are stuck with out-of-date hardware and the same level of graphics for 8 years. You may even get a 5 percent improvement in graphics over the 8 years, due to better optimization, but it won't be much more than that.

Optimized or not optimized, you won't see a PS3 or xbox game running with hardware accelerated physics, or 16X AA. Simply because they don't have the 'horsepower' to achieve it. Crysis will be coming to consoles, but it will be 'optimized'. The key word is 'optimized'. This means it will be scaled to run on the available hardware. So it will not run on PC 'Very High' texture settings. The textures and detail will be scaled to a level that the consoles can comfortably run at 30 frames per second without experiencing an epic fail or red ring of death.

Last edited: 8 Aug 2009
  7. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

id never buy a gaming pc or go a capable pc, happy with a laptop. seems way too expensive.

dont care if my games are gimped, ill take the 8 years shelf life without any upgrade. no trobuleshooting, compatibilty problems, just stick it in and away you go

call me a casual gamer if you want im happy at it. gaming to me is a passtime i want it as simple as possible. games are more expensive but can be traded in easier and the intial cost is lower.

graphics dont make a game anyway

8. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

I prefer playing on my 360, PC suffers from too many bad ports of console games these days.
    Although saying that, the last 3 games I bought were on PC (Plants vs Zombies, Titan Quest+expansion, Crysis Warhead - although I've not played Warhead yet I spend far too much time on PvZ).

9. Digitalize-

Digitalize- What's a Dremel?

Racing Games are better with a Controller, but then a PC Can have a control pad connected to it....

10. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I love my 360 to bits, and have enjoyed it since it's release day when i picked it up from Game (6th console sold that day) and tbh, have really only kept onto it for the time the PC gets boring, and for new Halo releases. I also have a PS3, and was excited to get it, but the novelty of having it died within weeks, and now it's only used for Blu-Ray, but, in the end, i spend 80% of my time on the PC, with games like Red Alert 3 to keep me occupied, it's hard to see a console beating this trend for some time yet.

Sam

11. chocolateraisins

chocolateraisins :D

PC Gaming, you don't have to pay to play online like you do with xbox live.

This is the only reason why I don't have a 360.

As for the sofa arguement, I just have a comfy chair, its not like I am relaxing back in my chair playing, I'm just using it so I don't have to kneel on the floor to play.

And another thing,

Keyboard and Mouse. Best. Combo. Ever.

12. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

just recently got sf4 for pc.. at 16q 1080p it's awesome game on the pc- really like the look.. funnel it out to the tv with wireless 360 controllers, looks even better on the lcd.. had a 360 awhile back and found didn't need it

you can cut out the consoles altogether if they ported everything to pc (but they don't)

13. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

some pc games have split screen

14. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

True, some PC games have splitscreen. However, I prefer LAN play instead, which most PC games support. Especially when playing shooters, it can be a bit stupid when you are playing death matches with a friend and you can clearly see his every movement and location on your screen. Splitscreen also looks horrible. Splitscreen multiplayer is a useful feature that can come in handy, but separate screen LAN play is the ultimate.

15. antec900

antec900 Minimodder

i totaly aggree plus the huge audiences that you get on computers are amazing i went on a game called the club on my brothers xbox and there was knowone on live i went on it on pc and thers loads of people playing. computers also look so much better and you can hear the noise from an xbox from a mile away i know a good pc isnt ultra quiet but the xbox only has like 1 fan. you can also play some of the first games ever released on pc wheras you would need a different console for each era of games. The headset on the xbox well theres no other way to put it because its a peice of rubish people sound nothing like they do in real life and the quality is nothing more than poor. you cant use a different headset because they changed the jack on the controler from 3.5mm to like 2 or something so no headset that you purchase from shops will fit unless its the standard xbox ones.

I have also heard people use racist terms accross xbox live which i quite frankly terrible assumeing as a huge percentage of the audiances are very young children.

16. tron

tron What's a Dremel?

The loud sound from the xbox also comes from its dvd drive. It spins at extremely high speeds for quick access rates, but it makes the xbox rattle like a washing machine.

This brings me to another benefit of PC gaming: the standard installation of game software onto the hard drive. Hard drive read speeds are much quicker than DVD drives.

The reason the PS3 doesn't rattle like the xbox is because its DVD doesn't spin so fast. But the downside to this is that the PS3 has extremely sloowwwww game loading times. It can feel as if you are waiting forever for game levels to load. Its default hard drive isn't very fast either compared to many PC hard drives, hence the PS3 has extremely sloowwww data saving times. Nothing compares to a PC for game data read and write speeds, especially a PC with high bandwidth SATA and high RPM Raptors.

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

^You can install your games on the 360's hard drive.

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

It's also very easy to use a different headset for the 360, although I just stick with the official one, I find it works perfectly well.

19. eek

eek CAMRA ***.

My point about the sofa was mearly that it is much easier to play mulitplayer in social situations (although I admit comfort does come into it ;)) as people don't tend to have more than 1 chair as their desk. Sure you could hook your PC up to you TV and acheive a similar thing but you'd be limited to single player in most games as there probably won't be native support for split screen.

Yep, I agree, but the post I was replying to implied that all console games buy games at full price while PC owners only spend £20 and thus scewed his cost estimates when claiming PC gaming was cheaper.

My comp is less than 8 years old and I would never dream of trying to run crysis on it (AMD Athlon 64 3000+, 1GB RAM, ATI 2600 (Nvidia 6600GT broke)...). IF crysis does get released on a console, then great, I'll actually be able to play this game that people keep banging on about. As people have argued in other threads, they are generally in favour of gameplay over graphics. If Crysis is as good as it's meant to be, then it won't matter that it's had to be optimized and scaled down to work on a console - if the game is any good, then it'll remain so. Plus, it has been proven with games like Killzone 2 that decent graphics are achieveable on a console so long as the developer is willing to invest some effort into it.

I'm not trying to argue that console gaming is better than PC gaming, mearly that it isn't as clear cut as the OP stated and it really comes down to a persons gaming habits.

I see PC gaming as a more serious hobby where people invest time to get good at games, join clans, climb ladders, have organised matches, etc etc
    Where as console gaming is aimed at the casual gamer who may have a spare 30-60 mins here or maybe has some mates over and just fancies loading a quick game of fifa, mario kart, street fighter or whatever!

20. flapjackboy

flapjackboy What's a Dremel?

Seconded.