1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Xtreamer Network Media Player Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 12 Dec 2009.

1. hewittd

hewittd What's a Dremel?

2. plagio

plagio What's a Dremel?

After testing the xtreamer (because of this review) I can confirm issues streaming FULL HD content only when the file is onto a remote storage mounted via NFS.
    The really same file copied onto the internal disk of the xtreamer plays fine. I assume this is the way your xtreamer got tested, from a NAS and not using the interna drive (not included by the way).
    Don't know whether this is related to the 100MB only eathernet card or the still buggy firmare. I assume (and hope) the latter.

If indeed you tested the xtremaer only straming from a NAS, your conclusions are not fair towards this little cheap fatanstic media player. I own the xtreamer since August and I am impressed by the improvements these guys are doing with firmware and by listening to the feedback in the xtreamer forum. Every time you suggest an improvement or sport a bug, you'll see that reallty improvement or bug fixed in the next firmware release. Something I have never experienced in the past.

This, obviously, is only my opinion.

EDIT :

The same file onto a remote folder mounted via samba hasn't got issue, so, even without an internal drive all HD content plays fine if you avoid NFS.

Last edited: 19 Dec 2009
  3. aaronwt

aaronwt What's a Dremel?

I converted six BD titles to the MKV format and did not change the bitrate. It played all of those fine, but I don;t know what the bitrate was. With the high bitrate test MKV files, with the birds, I did have the same issues as in the review, but those test files were the only ones that gave me problems. In real world use, the 1080P MKV files I had(in addition to the BD converts I made) played without issue on the newest firmware, 2.1.2

4. daniel_owen_uk

daniel_owen_uk What's a Dremel?

Still not corrected this :)

5. saltyzip

saltyzip What's a Dremel?

Can we have an updated review please, I am still confused as to which streamer to get?

Choices:
    WDTV Live
    XStreamer
    A.C. Ryan Mini

6. Stefanakisgr

Stefanakisgr What's a Dremel?

Well as things stand right now, this review is extremly unfair.

I've been using xtreamer for 2 months now, and I have to say after firmware 2.3 this thing is on a level of its own. It plays everything flawlessly, anything u can throw at it, and there is NOTHING out there that can beat it at performance vs price. Amazing features, great quality, sub file selection sub menu? You got it. Zoom in/out - stretch every way u want? You got it. Play DVD folders? u got it. And check out what's coming with firmware 3, u will be amazed (youtube HD, Opera, file hoster DL support).

And believe me, it's not very often I like a product so much as to defend it online, but it just keeps amazing me every day.

I think u guys should review it again, this little thing with the deceptively plain looks deserves more.

7. Stefanakisgr

Stefanakisgr What's a Dremel?

Ok I was wrong this thing is not worth the virtual ink I used to write this comment , problems problems and problems

Tags: Add Tags