1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Year 2010 - fulfilment of desires: HD5870 or GT300

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kyocera, 20 Sep 2009.

1. Kyocera

Kyocera The Garden of Evil

Wait for Nvidia GT300.
    (and then you'll have problems :D)

2. Kyocera

Some recent news about the GT300:
    Nvidia is preparing the grounds to launch the new generation on the 27. November (if all goes as planned).
    The real question is availability; Nvidia is hopping to catch the second half of December (to catch the less as usual guarded purses and wallets in the Christmas period).
    Otherwise, it is hoped at Nvidia, that the announcement will somehow make money stay on the bank account for a January shopping experience (it's unclear if this hopes rest on the new direct x11 special effects).

The rumor mill, Physics powered, says, that the invited were hardly able to walk straight after an exclusive partner and investment analyst presentation of the new GT300; the impressions of what they saw were namely so hard to forget. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:
    If we put this together with the courtyard built nuclear reactor,...

3. Kyocera

The reactor was a pile of uranium and graphite blocks, assembled under the supervision of the renowned Italian physicist Enrico Fermi. The shape of the pile was intended to be roughly spherical, but as work proceeded, Fermi calculated that critical mass could be achieved without finishing the entire pile as planned.

Fermi himself described the apparatus as "a crude pile of black bricks and wooden timbers." The controls consisted of cadmium-coated rods that absorbed neutrons. Withdrawing the rods would increase neutron activity in the pile to lead to a self-sustaining chain reaction. Re-inserting the rods would dampen the reaction.

On December 2, 1942, Chicago Pile 1 (CP-1) was ready for a demonstration. Before a group of dignitaries, a young scientist named George Weil worked the final control rod while Fermi carefully monitored the neutron activity. The pile went critical at 3:20 p.m. Fermi shut it down 33 minutes later.

4. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

I was also about to point out that the Fermi reactor was crude and inefficient.

5. Tim S

Tim S OG

6. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Well there's always this case. Looks like it's got plenty of room inside :lol:

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

I have all of 590x600mm to work with. Go me!

8. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Damnit I wish I had 700 dollars to spend on that!

9. Kyocera

Well, it's going to be the focal point of their office :D
    (a proper distraction from the cheap ugly vinyl floor and the dump storage surroundings).

For 700 USD it does not accommodate an extended ATX, it's heavily overpriced for the intended function and it was not delivered to Bit-tech, knowing, that the thermal review would be at least half realistic.
    :thumb: :thumb:

10. numanoid

numanoid Modder

i think ill wait until bit tech do a review on the 5870, that will be soon i hope.

11. Tim S

Tim S OG

The gaming performance/review is already online (was online on launch day) and the full architecture analysis piece is also finished now that AMD has answered most of my questions (it's just shy of 10,000 words) - it should be online tomorrow, as it requires a fairly hefty read/proof.

12. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Awesome, I love the in-depth architecture pieces.

Actually, is there any chance of getting more stuff like Ryan Leng's Memory Specials in?

13. Kyocera

nVidia Fermi architecture unveiled!!

512 cores and memory till 6GB! It has 3 milliard transistors!!

the GT300 chip is a hybrid CPU/GPU; or the best possible crossover computational monster, that can be made for a reasonable price these days.

3 milliard transistors are divided into 16 multiprocessor clusters, each of these has 32 cores; total 512 cores.
    The interesting part is that each of these 16 clusters can elaborate an instruction per clock/thread.
    Apparently nVidia just surpassed Intel and their multicore strategy. (figurative meaning)
    The new ATI graphic looks like something out of museum, since the Fermi processor changed the whole way of GPU operation.

512 FMA in single precision/256 FMA in double precision per clock
    the floating point standard is IEEE 754-2008!!!!!
    It natively supports C++

6 memory controllers that are 64 bit; total 364 bit, native GDDR5 operation.
    level 1-1 MB cache memory
    level 2-768 KB cache memory
    (Tesla edition will have 6GB memory, consumer GeForce 1,5 GB)

Last edited: 30 Sep 2009
  14. Jambo72

Jambo72 Playstuff.net

15. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Its the waiting game, who can stay off the trigger for longest, ATI seems to have lost, its just like PS3 vs Xbox 360, Xbox got it out first and therefore lots of people bought it because they couldn't wait, had PS3 been released a few months later many people would find themselves without the spare cash to purchase it aswell, Sony countered this by releasing it 2 years later + and therefore it is now the better console due to more time spent on features etc...

If GT300 comes out in 2010 then NVIDIA will already have the DX11 advantage because unless ATI releases the HD5890 fast and make sure its an NVIDIA killer then NVIDIA are gonna run away with the speed crown again

16. Moyo2k

Moyo2k AMD Fanboy

Meh, NVIDIA trying to combat sandy bridge, I think they shall fail

17. Kyocera

I have beaten Fudzilla 5 and half hours on the news!

(I posted at 12 o'clock they at 17.46 min)

18. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I hardly doubt anyone would shove 6GB of VRAM.

I'm guessing that the GeForce cards will come with 1.5GB standard, 2GB High, and 1GB Mainstream.

I guess 512MB is too little now? I want that awesome 768MB of VRAM actually.

19. Tyr

Tyr Minimodder

I'll stick to my 5870 for a few years thanks...

Now my brother who runs a lot of mathematically intensive simulations could make really good use of something like that!

20. Kyocera

FUDZILLA:
    Intel:
    - QPI chipset for Bloomfield CPUs
    - DMI chipsets for Lynnfield and Arrandale & Clarkdale

Nvidia’s head of chipset division, General manager of Geforce Drew Henry just confirmed that Nvidia won’t make a DMI chipset.

He said that environment created by Intel was not healthy for their business model and therefore they have decided not to go after that product.

They won’t be making any DMI chipset with an integrated IGP.
    It looks like this is the end of the high end and mainstream chipset from Nvidia for Intel CPUs.

???
    a motherboard for Gt300?? (Fermi based PC)????