1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your job, is it worth it!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Mr Happy, 31 Mar 2010.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Don’t read too much into it. @Mr_Mistoffelees is one of the many resident grumpy old farts :grin:

Said entirely in jest and without a hint of malice; we love, cherish, and respect all our resident grumpy old farts :hehe:

adamanatee likes this.
  2. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

This went downhill!

Lockdown pushed me into becoming the Sales account manager for Transport issues, similar to what I did for the company many years ago, it was ok for a while as I was "doing it for the greater good" but after lockdown I was still doing it and still doing my Stock management job, no pay rise.
    Short version of the story, managed to poach a stock manager from the coldstore side of the business as they would not free me up , as time went on I started becoming more hostile and aggressive to sales people who were constantly moaning at me about transport issues, that became my life for a few years.
    Despite telling management I was unhappy and need a change and would leave they did nothing to help, they "tried" to calm sales down on how they treated me but it was short lived, no pay rises other than standard.

As of May 2023 I moved to HRIS for the same company, managers knew not to waste time trying to keep me, I was done with everything, I was willing to take a pay cut (didn't say that) but got a good pay rise.
    Despite the big jump and learning curve, it's healthy stress, my motivation is there to work for my betterment and drive, I've done a couple of European trips for work, already pushed my personal boundaries.
    My boss is someone I've known on and off here for years, he's a quirky guy which suits my personality.

This could be my final big job change

LennyRhys and Arboreal like this.
  3. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its expensive and full of rightwing jerks! I remember reading somewhere it was rated as the most expensive place to drink in the country!

LennyRhys likes this.
  4. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

@GeorgeStorm could we please have an update - did it work out?

adidan likes this.
  5. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Ended up staying, fewer worries about how I'd get on, some concerns of last in first out type thing when moving, and I haven't regretted it. Saying that though no pay rise last year and in theory there is one coming soon with some more investment, but depending how that goes I may be looking into options. Work/life balance, flexibility and stress levels etc are great but want to avoid 'settling' quite yet.

fuus and goldstar0011 like this.
  6. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

i think i'll admit at this point - i now hate my job :hehe:

7. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Ive bitched many times about my job ... however , my MD just fronted me the money for a deposit for my first house. Blessed i feel.

fuus, sandys, goldstar0011 and 2 others like this.
  8. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

JFC, that’s generous!

Don’t happen to need a remote Senior Data Engineer do you, by any chance…? :lol:

9. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

Work for a shipping company mate ... https://www.scotline.co.uk/ He's alright , how much do you need? ... 13 years into the job and he rewards loyalty .

Byron C likes this.
  10. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Nah, I’m only joking mate :grin:. Working for a company based so far away, even in a remote role, would be an absolute ballache! :grin:

Besides, probably not a good idea to be job-hopping while I’m trying to buy property and get a Ive! :lol:

Spanky likes this.
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Hard to believe I started this thread in 2010 :eyebrow:

I am still in the prison service, and I spend every working day in the gym wearing shorts and trainers :thumb:

Currently on £38,000. Not bad for keeping fit and lifting weights i guess

12. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Its pay rise and bonus time this month, so I'll know how worth it the last 8 months of stress and pain have been!

13. c0nstruct

c0nstruct What's a Dremel?

If you can find something you truely love, and are good at... Then self employed beats anything IMHO.
    Although having less responsibilities is always good too.

14. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Donno how I haven't seen this thread until today

Job: Software Engineer
    Wage: about £31k (recent pay adjustment of 17% because coming through an apprenticeship they screwed me over)

Is it worth it: meh, pay is bang average for here tho work is fairly easy. I can seek out and improve things and myself should I feel motivated so there can be variation and opportunity. Work is for an insurance company so hardly feel I'm changing the world either way. As for the exact value to our corporate overlords we can tell how much everything costs to run but due to various reasons couldn't tell you if there are is a point to anything we push. Company has always prided itself as being "there for people in their time in need" and I guess there is some truth to that but I'm too cynical and removed to fully see, believe or buy into that.

Previous team was lumped in with external contractors so tended to get a lot of really crappy work. Think along the lines of plug the hole or continuing to shovel water with both options being wrong while being asked by management to cut the lifeboats as it will save weight. Came with a load of abuse from unhappy users, never mind never seeing anyone I worked with for over 2 years as they were based in other countries and work from home meaning anyone I knew wasn't in the office anyway. Nearly walked away from development altogether at that point.