1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ZapWizard's LAN PC -Custom Ammo PC -Completed Jan 18 '04

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ZapWizard, 3 Jul 2003.

1. pranks7er

pranks7er mange tout

kudos

were u get ammo cases:D :D :D :D

2. Deviate

Deviate What's a Dremel?

Man this looks awesome Zap! One question for you. With those magnets being so strong holding the front on, does that mean if you ever need to take the front off you would have to remove everything from the back side and push the front panel out? Just wondering since I didn't see any handles or anything. Not that I imagine you were planning on having to remove the front very often. :D

3. ZapWizard

ZapWizard Enter the Mod Matrix

I bought the ammo case at: www.colemans.com

The magents are just strong enough that pulling a cable won't yank the front off.
    It's not soo strong that you have to push it from the back.
    I can remove it by pulling on the fan control knob, or getting a grip near the VFD, not perfect, but again like you said, I won't have to take it off very often.

4. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

If you have screw-on connectors, you could just connect one or two, and pull those too.

5. Draxin

Draxin Seeker of Photons

or you could attach some of tose round metal handels

i see them on almost all of the old military gear, all the ones they might need to get behind the face of. they arent very big and im sure you could put them on both sidse of the VFD thus allowing them to be somewhat centered. i think it would look great.

oh well just my idea, nothing spectacular

but zap you put out some of the sickest mods i have seen
    this one by far the best. keep up the great work

6. bee2643

bee2643 What's a Dremel?

thats pretty cool
    where'd you get the box?

7. RaptorLord

RaptorLord What's a Dremel?

Great work so far Zap - another winner :clap:

I've got the "routing" attachment for the dremel too, and haven't tried plexi - I did aluminum and wasn't entirely impressed with the combination of its and my ability :blush:

as for the fan grill - stick with your original plan - the chrome grill snaps it out of the retro look... (It would be like some actor wearing a wris****ch while playing the part of a gladiator or something :p )

8. djengiz

djengiz Pointless.

Nice work, Sir! I do like the rugged finish! Just a question about those xlr plugs u used. Are they "strong" enough for the current that will run through them? I dont know the correct word for it, but wont they burn or melt?

9. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

10. ZapWizard

sinizterguy... (Please read the posts guys)

Well I don't care if the PC looks retro, as I want it to look like less of a radio, and more like a military scientific insturment.
    So the fan grill is staying. I added trim around the edge and removed the sticker. Images later

Yes, the XLR plugs are very strong and have thick terminals and solder connections. They can handle the power that will be needed.

Next I will order the new motherboard.
    This PC may not be 100% complete until october, as I want to use the best graphics card for Halflife 2
    (Please no chat on graphics cards in here)

11. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

You were saying there were paint markes etc on the case, in most War films etc when there's a device like this in action it almost ALWAYS gets shot, a couple of bullet holes in the case would be slick.... I remember I used to have a little model train that produced smoke from cooking oil.. a little smoke slowly drifting out of bullet holes would be bling bling... (if only a little OTT) :)

12. ZapWizard

Hmm, bullet holes are a negative...
    Also smoke with the PC components would really just create tons of dirty PC parts. (Bad for CD-Rom, and heatsinks)
    I have finalized my plans for the glow effect.
    I will use two extreme brightness LEDs on each end of each slot.
    (9000mcd 45degree angle Green LEDs)
    A single 2000mcd red LED lights up about half of the slot.
    So two 9000's would really light it up bright.

Both sides will be lit up, and I think I will stick in a small battery to make the case glow, as I carry it into the LAN.
    (This all may change)

13. Alizarin

Alizarin What's a Dremel?

Or just get some black anodized aluminum thumbscrews and attach them in the front of the panel to allow you to remove it a bit easier if you need to. They might not stick out that far and interfear with the lid closing.

14. bAnTAi

bAnTAi What's a Dremel?

:eeek: :eeek: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :thumb: :thumb: :rock: :rock: :clap: :clap: :hip:

just about sums it up

15. Green Soda

Green Soda What's a Dremel?

Are you going to make the slots 'shiny-er' by painting them a high-gloss finish, or just leave them how they are?

And with the battery thing, you could wire up a circiut to switch to the +5v standby on the psu so that when you have it plugged in, but not on, you can still ahve the leds shining, w/o using the batt. Similar to what you have done with the mpc. However, dont go overloading it again :nono:

16. ZapWizard

The slots reflect light perfectly...so no modding will be needed.

Well the PSU wont be plugged in.
    I want it to glow WHILE carrying it around, no wires connected.

I have come up with a sweet sticker for the front of the case... more on that later..

17. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

How are you going to adapt the cables back to normal, Zap? (I'd assume that you'd solder the cables to the MB.):lol:

18. ZapWizard

There are a couple options I have, but I won't decide until I get the acutal motherboard.
    I can either re-adapt them to normal jacks, on the inside, and plug them into the existing jacks on the motherboard.
    OR I can internalize the motherboards jacks.

I am ordering the motherboard this friday.
    Along with the LEDs and some other parts.

19. Ttuser

Ttuser What's a Dremel?

Wow,
    I amazed after readin this thread for the first time, how do fit so many great ideas in one project?!?!?!

Oh and good to see your usin a Tt fan!

Ttuser

20. 1398342003

1398342003 Ubermodder

Explain how please.

I happen to have a 19 pin connector and several misc ones similar to yours. I want to make a pc controller and USB hub with them. I was wondering how you would do it so that I could do it differently.