1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Switch Zelda: tears of the Kingdom

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by The_Crapman, 15 Jun 2021.

1. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Mine just turned up, which was a surprise because I didn't actually order it.
    A buddy was looking out for me and sent it for my birthday. Good times.

Hex, yuusou and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Already spent some time playing.
    *chef's kiss*

Hex likes this.
  3. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Warning, this video review contains a MASSIVE spoiler about something Nintendo managed to keep completely secret in the lead up to release, watch at your own peril.

Apparently the game is pretty good, migh even persuade me to get a hold of a Switch. Or wait for the Switch 2 and hope for backwards compat, since this seems very much to have been made with some faster hardware in mind as well as the Switch.

4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Can you elaborate on the spoiler without spoiling? The video is marked as spoiler free, so is it a spoiler of something revealed in the opening sequence?
    Edit: As the vast majority of that is covered in the trailers, with just a couple of details missing.

Spoiler spooner sailer tailer nobhead

Last edited: 13 May 2023
  5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I'm sure it'll be my train-game for a while, the BOTW option was more appealing and easier to pick up/put down than something like Cyberpunk has been.

Runs surprisingly well, all things considered

6. fix-the-spade

The presence of an entire third layer to the map, The Underworld that is as big and detailed as the Hyrule and the Sky Kingdom but hasn't been mentioned the build up. A Very Nintendo move to not mention 30% of the entire game.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. The_Crapman

I didn't know this, but it has only made me more excited for the game.

8. fix-the-spade

Told you it was a spoiler.

9. The_Crapman

Kind of, but not really. It had been widely speculated from all the trailer footage analysis.

10. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

11. Mister_Tad

Has anyone playing been wondering if they're cheesing puzzles or not?

In BoTW it was always clear how they expected you to complete a shrine for example, even if there were a few ways to approach it.

In this, I go into a room that's full of parts and I infer that they expect me to build some sort of vehicle or contraption, except I can't figure out what. In the meantime I can easily cross the chasm or get up to the ledge by using a ultrahand/recall combo, or just building a simple bridge. So I feel like I'm cheesing it, and feel bad about it sort of thinking, was there a "clever" way to do it that I didn't notice? But then again maybe the simple approach was the intended one and I was the smart one not to get thrown off by all the extraneous parts laying around.

12. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I think all the puzzles are sort of designed so you can get through it with "whatever." I don't find if cheesing however, as I make myself chuckle with the stupid contraptions that get me through the shrines.

Also, if you haven't tried yet: mining cart on a shield.

13. Mister_Tad

I will have to upgrade my shield inventory slots first. I bought my best sneaking/running-away game and raided an endgame area early on, so my inventory is chock full of endgame items that I don't want to molest unnecessarily.

14. The_Crapman

Playing through this again as I got a bit bored with sparks of hope. This time I'm going to attempt the sages in "reverse order", so spirit, lightening, water, fire, wind. I know there's not a linear order as with Zelda games of yore, but there's an order that the game encourages you to take, even though I think I did wind, water, fire, then accidentally did the spirit one before lightning. I say accidentally, kind of ended up there on a massive tangent from going to the gerudo dessert and had been to the temple in the depths way before that, although not able to do it as it hadn't been activated and thought at the time "so odd that this feels like a temple but it's just a bunch of junk. Nice detail though".

By the time I got the spirit sage power it was basically useless and just got in the way most of the time. Getting it early doors will allow a lot more fun to be had with it. It also means doing the vast majority of the game without the wind boost, which even 6months or so on from finishing it, still has me miss-judging gaps and coming up well short.

However I do have the advantage of knowledge of game mechanics, how to get the most out the underground soldiers etc. should be fun.