1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Bit-Tech F1 2017 thread - Season Complete

Discussion in 'General' started by RedFlames, 27 Nov 2016.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

OMFG. Wehrlein will get the seat I recon. He'll be happy to be the new Barachello to Hamshumacher who will ride onto several more world titles.

2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Alonso must be on the phone to Toto right now, "I'll race for free"

3. rollo

rollo Modder

Mercedes will take on wehrlein as a number 2 driver sort of role. With Hamilton been given Number 1 status in the team. It makes sense from a management point of view

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It will deliver them a definite WC but the only downside is will they get 1-2 finishes?

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

BBC Benson put another possibility out there - Bottas. Managed by Wolff, possibly in return for Wehrlein and better treatment from Merc re engines. On the flip side, Williams might want/need to keep Bottas as a experienced head alongside Stroll the Sprog.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Not sure but it would be easy to manage.

7. rollo

rollo Modder

One of the BBC commentary team does not want that to happen as they think Hamilton would walk to a title if they are as dominant.

Not sure who else they can get at this stage, it's all well and good saying Alonso or Vettel but the facts are they are both locked into expensive contracts.

Even Bottas would not be cheap, Williams will not want 2 inexperienced drivers.

From a logical stand point, there young driver would suffice. Would still guarentee both titles if they have the same gap as last year.

Lewis would be defacto number 1 I would imagine. Similar to Vettal and now Alonso.

If they go for one of the big 4 options expect a big bill and a huge struggle to get a deal signed.

8. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

I expect there will be Performance clauses in all of their contracts, which could be triggered at the drop of a hat, and you'd be a fool to think otherwise. Could you imagine how shouty/sweary Vettel would get if he's in an uncompetitive Ferrari for another year? Or Nando stuck in his McGP2? YUP!

9. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Makes sense. Would of been nice to see a title defense but he achieved his goal, has a family so time on to move on to other things. Better than being a bad penny like his previous team mate.

If anyone shows proof of them predicting Rosberg to retire send me your PayPal. That prediction deserves a pint or 4!

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Redbull would not even release Carlos s to Renault. What hope have Merc got.

Ferrari will never release Vettel nor would he go. He would not of vetoed Hamilton to RB in 2013 if so.

Alonso is what we all want to see, Merc bosses have already said it would not happen last season.

Leaves very few choices, Bottas / Hulk? In exchange for engine deals maybe.

The most likely candidates are those using Merc engines.

I wonder what JB retirement deal looks like. They both have huge respect for each other and would work alongside one another again.

11. RedFlames

Deep pockets.

Also I as pointed out Wehrlein and Gutierrez are the only 2 2016 drivers without a drive [that didn't 'retire'], Gutierrez was tipped for a Manor [or whatever the new owners elect to call the team] drive.

So as far as i can see Merc's options are still [in order of likelihood] -

Wehrlein.
    Tempt a driver from another team [Bottas or Alonso would be most likely]
    Coax Button or Massa out of retirement for a year until they can tempt a better [younger] driver from another team [Verstappen or Ricciardo, Vettel at a push].
    Take a gamble on a rookie [i don;t follow the lower formulae so have no idea who said rookie might be].
    Gutierrez [reckon he's unlikely as unlike Wehrlein he has no real ties to Merc].

12. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

I wonder where di Resta is these days? I know he was test driving for someone this season.
    A loan deal for Bottas or Perez for engines would be good short term but TBH if Wherlin is over looked then he might as well pack up and retire himself as it says Merc has no faith in him. He and Ocon are Mercs long term plan and now there is a chance to learn alongside an experienced world champion and to develop. Hold his feet to the fire, get use to the car and team and allow him to develop in a way Red Bull done with Max, Riccardo and Kyvatt.
    If it doesn't work Ocon is in the wings. They can now bring the next new blood to Manor.

13. RedFlames

di Resta is still in DTM [for Merc as it happens] and is Williams' reserve/test driver. Can't see it myself, if anyone had any real faith in him [or his sponsors] he'd probably be in an F1 seat now, hell he probably wouldn't have gone back to DTM in the first place.

14. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

He was racing in Germany in DTM again, no idea if he has a contract there for the future or not though.

They could also try to get one of the former F1 drivers back that ran off to Formula E, plenty to choose from...

15. RedFlames

16. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

After Melbourne: Verstappen Rule #2 introduced, overtaking Hamilton punishable by five race ban:D

17. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Very good.

My bet is Werhlein in the second Merc.

Or Button, driving for free with a colossal **** eating grin on his face the whole time.

18. RedFlames

As unlikely as it is to happen... that i'd love to see...

19. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Oh, I'd so much love to see Alonso in that seat next year, following that Max.

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I thinks it's like that kid at school who's **** at football, but got a proper mitre for his birthday. You playing a game, and after his side comes back from 5-2 to 5-6, he picks his ball up, proclaims his team wins and legs it home.