1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Can you run Tomb Raider?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 23 Feb 2013.

1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear.

First of all, have you not noticed, that in actual fact, the games industry doesn't consider itself a special case? You can't buy second hand MP3s, second hand Ebooks etc either.

Second of all: How about the fact that a used game is EXACTLY the same as a new one? Don't you see that when you buy a second hand car, the reason its cheaper is due to wear and tear - you are getting an inferior product, but at a reduced price.

When you buy a second hand game, the box might not be as shiny, but importantly the actual game itself is exactly the same as it was when bought brand new.

2. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Personally, I like to keep my library of games like I keep my library of books.

If I hadn't I would have had to buy some low spec games to run on my budget laptop that I picked up to take on travels rather than just load up some Age of Empires from my library. In the long run that saved me money.

But then that's just me and that's also why I like a physical copy generally.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Perhaps he should have simply stated what makes the digital goods industry think its so special. As what applies to games can apply to the rest and vice versa

Surely this is merely an arugment for charging more money for second hand games. Its not one for or against the second hand game industry though.

4. rollo

rollo Modder

If the game shops were willing to pay more to get the games in the first place id be more open to a second hand games trade.

Problem is they just rip off kids who want the latest titles and offer them a shocking £5-£15 max per game which is an absolute disgrace.

Then they resell them for £30-£35 in some cases so more than a 100% markup and people say Apple rip people off, Its nothing compared to what Game and Gamestop do to the younger generation on game trade in.

What happened to the good old paper round used to pay my gaming habbit easily enough.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Stop pretending that you're learned :hehe:

Christ this thread's gone off tangent.

6. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

The reason a video game store buys at such shoddy prices is because of the excessive stock they have. The more they have in stock the lower the price. And then still sell for double what they pay the person trading in. This is common with Game and CEX.

Unless there is a trade in offer for a newly released game then you will never get a good price trading in second hand games.

It should be renamed to fit it's current discussion.

7. adidan

Well I need somewhere to keep 'The Very Hungry Caterpillar' don't I?

You frickin philistine Shirty. :lol:

8. Shirty

^ He's pulling out the big guns now, how can I possibly be expected to know what a philistine is? I can't even read. I think it's a stamp collector or something...

adidan likes this.
  9. benji2412

benji2412 <insert message here>

So I conclude:

From everyones sigs I can ascertain most of us can play f*****g Tomb Raider.

Also that ShinyAli should fill in a rather long butthurt form.

/thread?

10. lp1988

lp1988 Minimodder

So over 100 percent markup... and what exactly is wrong with that I might ask, many products you buy do not have a markup in the hundreds of percent but the thousands, especially brand clothing stores may take as much as 10 000 percent (yes you read that right) markup on some products.

11. October

October Mariachi Style

I have never said Steam is the all-time cheapest way to buy games ever, I've bought a few on Amazon when they've been cheaper, which is generally any game that isn't on sale on Steam at the time. Even during the last sale there were plenty I thought of buying but Amazon had a physical copy for cheaper than the sale price so I held off.

And as Parge mentioned, you're deluded if you think a used game is the same as a used car. With a used car, the incentive to buy it is that it's cheaper than new. The trade-off is that it's in actual used condition, parts will be worn and need replacing sooner etc etc. With games there is absolutely no difference between new and used, especially if bought through Steam itself. If second hand was cheaper no-one would ever buy new because why on earth would they? It'd make perfect sense to buy second hand all the time because you wouldn't be losing out. Which is fine until developers go out of business and you don't have any games to trade. My point about pirate sites is that the only difference between them and second hand games in a shop is that you put a few quid in the shop owners pocket.

But aside from all that crap I'm still genuinely interested to hear a proper grown-up response to my breakdown of the cost and so on and how you think that's a more sensible way to buy games. If a game only costs you £3, who cares that you can't trade it in?

12. adidan

Indeed, I rarely buy on release, I'm too tight. Funny thing is is when I do pick up a bargain I tend to enjoy it more. In reality I can't play games quick enough to keep up with new releases anyway.

Take Farcry2, many people slated that but I got it for around £2 or £3 on offer and I really liked it, alot moreso than if I'd picked it up for £20 or so.

It also depends on how you look at it, if you compare games to say a DVD that lasts 2 hours then you could say you're losing out.

However, if you compare it to the rental of a DVD then in order to get equivalent viewing time you would have to multiply that rental several times over to make an equivalent comparison.

For example, Battlefield 3 in DVD rental terms (for me) would have cost well over £1000. I don't think it has been a bad deal at all.

13. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Dividing the play time by cost is how I looked at Battlefield 3 and the Premium. Which I paid full price.

This compared the Guild Wars 2 at much less play time means I have currently wasted money.

14. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Here you go:

phil-i-stine
    Noun
    A person who seeks to promote the welfare of others, esp. by the generous donation of money to good causes.
    Synonyms
    philistineope - humanitarian

:D

15. Shirty

Consider this foppotee suitably schooled in the definition of the word ;)

16. adidan

I must have a different dictionary :lol:

17. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I just use Steam for the bargains.

Most of my games were £5.

Gianna sisters was the last one..my first indie game, ha.

18. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

How you liking Gianna Sisters? Saw it a while back and was waiting for a fall in price but haven't been looking since.

To say a used game is exactly the same as a brand new game ignores one significant aspect in my mind. How much of the decision to buy a new game is based on the hype (both from the advertisers and the fellow gamers on forums etc.) so by buying brand new you get to be in on that excitement. You wait for a few months to buy it used and everyone is talking about something new already. That's a genuine reason in my mind why a used game is devalued compared to a new one - the social exclusivity factor.

19. Shirty

You have friends? You need those for the social exclusivity factor you know ;)

20. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

It's great there's a dx10-11 option, graphics are good.. simple game but fun.

I actually missed the Steam sale by a day but got it on Green man gaming who give you a Steam code anyway.

The few videos i've seen of Tombraider it looks very good, they have been working on this for quite a while I remember when they announed Guardian of light they said we are working on 2 projects.

Requirements are fair but definitely a step up from other Tombraider games.

Tags: