1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Can you run Tomb Raider?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kronos, 23 Feb 2013.

1. Jedra

Jedra Supermodel

What is even sillier is that if you fail (which I usually do the first time), it re-loads right before the event which kind of makes the whole thing pointless. I would rather they just put in an 'auto pass QTE' option and just play it as a cut scene. This game needs more cut scenes right? ;-)

I think the game is good - I like the small amount of exploration you get to do, the challenges, and the hunting (is this the new 'thing' in games I wonder?). What I don't like are the endless cutscenes (which thankfully you can skip) and the stupid QTEs.

It looks very nice on the PC too and plays well with high settings. I only had to turn tessellation and AA off and it runs at a pretty good 40-60 fps at 2560x1600.

It's not a Tomb Raider in the traditional sense, but I think it's a reasonably good attempt to bring the game forward. I just wish that producers stop insisting that developers fill the game with un-needed guff and fluff.

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

This game looks absolutely awesome..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

^^ Not played it yet but it does look really good from the screen shots.

4. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Just been playing a bit of this! Well, I say playing, I do of course mean watching.

There are so many quick time events, and so much linear hand holding that you barely need a mouse. Not to mention, why, when you light a massive barrel, does it burn and turn to ash in under 3 seconds? Poor gameplay mechanic that.

Also, although the game looks good in parts, there are some really shoddy console bits too. Yes, I'm looking at you, backgrounds.

5. Podge4

Podge4 Oi, whats your game?

can i just ask, i've got this but not started it yet but will start it soon, is it better to play it with K/M or a 360 controller?

6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I wouldn't bother personally, Parge hit on the head, its too "L.C.D." to be a game.

sink your time into something else.

7. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Would you be happy having to wait an hour or two for it to turn to ash though?

I really enjoyed it. Probably my best purchase this year, especially at £7.50 in the steam sale. I played with Kb/Mouse and got along fine, I would struggle with aiming with a gamepad.

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Meh, I thought TR was pretty good - a solid 8/10 effort. Sure, there were some QTE style events, but not ridiculous amounts, and the controls with keyboard/mouse were absolutely fine. TressFX also looked pretty nice.

9. alienwaregtx

alienwaregtx What's a Dremel?

I built my new PC to beast Crysis 3 to bits which it does wit the hi performance requirements its asks for. :D so tomb raider will be an easy play, not that tomb raider should be a PC game. thats a Playstation legend!!

10. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I did it with a 360 controller only because thats how I played the other tombraiders.

11. DeckerdBR

DeckerdBR Minimodder

I really enjoyed the new tomb raider :) PC controls were good, and my only real dislike is the cancer of the QTEs that seem to infect every game these days.

I did some recent performance Benchmarks after upgrading my GPU and with better nvidia driver than on TR's release, and I get an average of 40FPS in max settings with Tress FX enabled. Disable it and the average jumps to 60, with excellent minimum FPS not much below that.

I feel compelled enough to want to give it another play-though, time will tell if TR is a bit of a 1 trick pony in terms of repeat enjoyment :D

12. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

edit - redundant troll food removed.

That's a strikingly good metaphor.

TR was a bit choppy on my HD4870 at 1680*1050 but went absolutely fine on the GTX 670 that replaced it. Continued to work fine when I upgraded to 1920*1200. The 'hair physics' did seem to have a disproportionate FPS hit, which I chalk up to unoptimized/experimental new code, but I kept it on because it looks a lot better (except when it bugs out and her hair ends up doing a breakdance).

Last edited: 11 Dec 2013
  13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Just got back into this game, but my god it's got me addicted! This game looks awesome, but it don't half have some horrific scenes! Blood Pool anyone? :/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: 31 Mar 2014
  14. rollo

rollo Modder

The game looks awesome and is a decent game the best tomb raider in a long time, Uncharted is still a better adventure game though.

15. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

Still love this game. Bet my GTX 480 Lightning could run it well too !

Another playthrough may well just be in order :)

Tags: