1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other General Battlefield 3 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 8 Feb 2011.

1. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Sure :rock:

Did the game ever fix friends? I haven't launched the game in a long time but when I played it never worked.

I always played on hardcore because it felt like the bullets you shot actually did something. To me it almost felt like hit detection was slower in normal play. I'm not talking about enemies dying faster due to hardcore mode, but the shots just felt like they registered later.

The whole scale of the game felt off to me. Too many boring choke points on a lot of the maps. I didn't think they did a very good job in terms of art direction. There isn't a lot visual feedback in terms of discerning objects from each other, in other words too much brown and bloom. I would compare it to (sorry) MW2 or Black Ops where the visual style is very crisp with vibrant color tones.

There's my rant.

2. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Cannot wait for this game. BF2 was one of my favourite shooters of recent times and Bad Company 2 is a damn fun game.

3. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

The nails head has been beaten into the 2x4....

BF2, despite all it's flaws was the best team-oriented FPS of recent times. BC2, is a damn good blast with mates (hooray for ZiiP server :D ).

Waffles, they have fixed the friends list, but it is limited to 20 :( so, both yay & nay).

Hardcore all the way. :rock:

4. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

I think the reason BF games work so well for me, is that it is a game were tactics could to most extents overcome a stupid 12 year old kid running around like sodding Rambo.

Especially in wide open maps, where tactics massively came into play.

5. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, you can rambo with smoke screen in BFBC2.

if they are going to do some kind of objective based chock-point based map design, they HAVE to have smoke-screen launcher in there.

Vietnam rush without it is such a disaster.

6. EvilMerc

EvilMerc Minimodder

As long as they remove the awful bloom effects that plague the Atacama Desert map in BC2 I'll be happy.

7. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

You didnt need Hardcore mode in BF2 because the game was hardcore!!! Steepest learning curve ever! And i loved it! i dont think ive spent 400 hours in any other game!

8. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I've avoided multiplayer games for near a year now but I think I'll get this, PC lead version this is golden & it looks freaky good :rock::thumb:.

9. Bhuvsta

Bhuvsta Minimodder

Aye! that blinded the crap out of me. Can't wait for this, even this little info is looking good.

10. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

This +1

11. Action_Parsnip

Well BF2 was kinda graphically amazing for its day too. The enormous environments, the sumptuous vehicles, the character animations and sound design to die for. Don't forget when it came out the 128mb minimum vram spec. was the highest of any other pc game, and it was the first game to show any benefit from not just 2 gigs of ram but also from a whopping 4 gigs! (this was 2005 btw).

BF2 was always a bit buggy and still is even now. But they're never deal-breaking, and don't forget it's the same for everyone else. You know what I mean, the odd-ball kills and the mystifying deaths. We've all been they're. I always thought it added to the golden river of chaos that ran through matches, that little bit of randomness that stopped you going through the motions and gave you a jolt every so often.

Sharqui Peninsula Cheesecake

12. Action_Parsnip

I cast thee out! Seriously part of the depth of the game was learning how to shoot. It was also what set it apart from other online FPSs. Full auto and especially full auto while moving was very rarely something that would pay off. Hardly any of this spraying rubbish. There were only 2 point-and-shoot weapons: the G36-E and the Jackhammer unlock shotgun.

45 - 65 ping bf2 64 player server. Anything over 70 and it all starts to feel a bit mushy. Ive seen low 20s quite often, and these arent people who live around the corner form the server either. The networking code really was pretty good, all the glitches and crap were more often than not people with high pings and sh1tty comps polluting everyone else's experience. In short it was the client sides and not the servers that were the source of 'issues'.

13. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I know how to control my fire thank you very much. BF2 was just bad. Even going prone, waiting for everything to settle, holding your breath IRL and gently squeezing the mouse like a trigger would only mean 50% chance for the first shot to hit a stationary target at 25 meters, because of the kookie system they implemented. Or just bad reg. Actually, i'm lying, the pistols were pretty reliable, moreso than rifles.

I'll never forget dumping a full MG36 drum into someone's spine at point blank range just to watch him walk off unharmed. I would have been better off kicking them in the knee.

I still love that game. I might reinstall it and start plinking away at the enemy with my beretta.

14. ccxo

ccxo On top of a hill

Hit reg was everything in BF2 either you had it or you did not, when you did the game was great.

15. Action_Parsnip

Oh you meant support weapons. Yeah thyere a bit nerfed for balance reasons. Any rifle or carbine, even the submachine guns are good if you squeeze off just 2-round bursts. 3-round bursts only worth it proned. But unless your support class proning is rarely worth it.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Nope, i meant everything :( The MG36 was just a side note. It usually wasn't drastically bad like that, i'd rather say inconsistent.

17. MaximumShow

MaximumShow Minimodder

BFBC2 is a lot of fun when it works. One day it is working fine, and the next I can't connect to EA servers. Then after a few days it will work again. Other times I get on and I'm playing as a private again with no unlocks. Last night I could connect, but then I would continue to get disconnected after a short period of play time. At one point my password was even reset to an older one, which took a while to figure out. I can honestly say that almost half the times I go to play this game it will not work.

The problem is not on my end, I can absolutely guarantee that. Everything else works perfectly. I am on a wired connection, with my router setup exactly how DICE says to do it (these problems exist even when playing without a router). There is zero packet loss between me and the EA servers. I even check to see if my isp is having tech problems at the time.

Even with all of this, being left unchanged, the game will go from working for a day or two to completely unplayable at the drop of a hat, when everything else is working fine.

The last and only other game I had huge connectivity problems with was CnC 3, which is also an EA title.

18. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Updated trailer with actual gameplay footage. clicky

It's only snippets but it won't be long until Gametrailers or somewhere does a frame by frame analysis.

19. soviet_

soviet_ Bantros

Oh. My. God

20. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

The 2 threads on BF3 need to be merged :D