1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Make your own USB LCD controller!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ch424, 23 Jun 2006.

1. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yes, they make an SMD version, and it's easier to buy too. You could program using ICSP.

ch424

2. emady

emady What's a Dremel?

Great work CH424!
    I am going to give it a try. One question, can you publish the schematic for the GPO and how to connect to the PIC?

3. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

The schematic for each of the GPOs is this:
    [​IMG]

I don't currently have a picture of the pcb layout, I'm afraid, but I'm sure you could make one quite easiy in EAGLE.

ch424

cpemma likes this.
  4. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

CH424,

i have just got the PIc programmed and got it detecting under windows. I wondering if it is correct . It comes up as the rs-232 demo neededing a driver from microchip. (sorry i cant remember the exact device as im at work.)

It seems to be detected by windows ok and lcd smartie doesnt seem to complain but i havnt been able to get the LCD to display anything as yet.
    I think it is my LCD module as its an old one i pulled out of a printer years ago.

I am getting a new LCD atm, but i was wondering if the display will display something before the lcd smartie program is running?

Regards

Scorpia

5. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Update.

I have go this working , still need to make up a PCB for it but it is working.

The new LCD did the trick, now to get a 4x20 LCD :p

Thanks
    Scorpia

6. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Glad to hear it works!

Do you have any pictures to show us?

7. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Got a couple of quick snaps,

Can you tell me what the size of the PCB is suppose to be as when i print it it looks like its about double size.

FYI i used a JDM based programmer with the winpic pic programmer software.

Scorpia

running setup (very temp), no backlight or outputs.

[​IMG]

The programmer.

[​IMG]

now to make a PCB or 3 :D

Last edited: 17 Jul 2006
  8. One~Zero

One~Zero What's a Dremel?

CH424, did you say you sold the pre-programmed PIC IC's?

9. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Scorpia, that's gonna look better for a board! I think it's 300dpi. If you print it in photoshop, it should come out the correct size. Just remember that the pins on the PIC are 0.1inches apart.

One-Zero, not at the moment I'm afraid, I don't have access to a programmer. However, I'm sure you could ask another forum member to do one for you.

ch424

10. One~Zero

Thanks anywah CH424 :D
    So, any member feel like burning me the chip??? I'll pay for the part, time and postage. Just PM me if you can help. Thanks.

11. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

One~Zero,

dont be afraid to try programming your own Pic chip, the programming software is easy to get and the curcuit needed to program the chip is not difficult to make, Have a search on the net for JDM based pic programmers.

I found a PCB layout on the net and made mine. If you cant find the program then let us know and ill find you the link.

Scorpia

12. One~Zero

Scorpia,

It's not that I'm afraid to program a PIC, it's that I severely lack the time to do anything right now. I was just hoping to get something done pretty quick, so was hoping someone already had one made up. If not, that's ok too....sometimes I just get too over zealous about the neat things I come across, this being one of them :D
    Must practice on my lack of patience...... :sigh:

13. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Another quick update,

did another 3 hours work and got a board etched and soldered up, not all the components are on there due to it being midnight and nothing is open :D

Completed board.

[​IMG]

the whole unit running.

[​IMG]

The rear of the board. its a little bit rough but hey its working.

[​IMG]

Sorry about the quality of the images but its late so they were quick pics.

Scorpia

14. gwynnm

gwynnm What's a Dremel?

Great design, have been using parallel lcd myself. Could you please include the part numbers with the list??

15. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

A short word of warning:

A whole while back (about two or three years ago) I was into building my own guitar effects units, and one of them required a silly amount of op-amps (don't ask if you don't know), so I ordered them as student samples from TI. I posted this on the DIY guitar effects forum and created quite the ethics discussion about whether or not ordering samples for personal use was right or not. Being poor, and using an LCD for my highschool extended essay didn't feel that there was anything wrong with it, however it could piss a few people off if you go shouting it around ;)

just my quick 2 cents. Great circuit, need to get round to building something like that and keeping my LPT port open :thumb:

cpemma likes this.
  16. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

It's not really appropriate to order free samples unless you're the developer. Most manufacturers have stopped their sample facility because of the sheer volume of people requesting samples because they want to get something for free, ruining it for the people who actually need samples for the development of their product. (TI for example stopped the sample process on all logic gate type devices because it was obvious that the high number of samples was down to people just trying to get free components)

I suggest anyone ordering samples just to build this or any other project (unless they are the developer) have a think about if it is worth risking the possibility of the sample program being closed down...

cpemma likes this.
  17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I'll try and add them gwynnm, although most of them are stock parts which school/uni labs have. It's only the LCD, USB port and the PIC that are special...

I've paid for all my chips, except the first 18F2550 I got - which wasn't stocked by Farnell/Rapid/Maplin in those days. I could have bought one from Microchip, but delivery was £24 (wtf?) so I just got the free sample, figuring that I'd be causing more people to buy the chip...
    So cheers for your insight smoguzbenjamin :thumb:
    Edit: and as I've pointed out, samples of this chip take ages to get delivered.

ch424

18. SteveyG

SteveyG Electromodder

I wasn't having a dig at you or anything ch424. Sampling for development use (as you have used it for) is fine :)

The delivery charge from Microchip is a bit excessive - I can't see why they can't send out small orders via royal mail, but Farnell (free delivery) is always a good option and no more expensive most of the time.

19. Scorpia

Scorpia What's a Dremel?

Ch424,

could you let me know more information about the rotary encoder.

I have had a search at rs components and cannot find any of them.

There is a similar device at a local supplier. but im not sure if it will work as i dont have any info on yours.

here is the link.
    http://www.altronics.com.au/index.asp?area=item&id=S3350

Also i have 2 - 4x20 char LCD screens on the way. hopefully they will be here soon

Regards

Scorpia

20. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

For the rotary encoder, I used one of these - the horzontal switched version. It allows you to navigate menus (menu plugin), change the track in Winamp and lots of other cool stuff - like control brightness, volume etc.

The one you linked to does not have a switch built in, so will give reduced functionality.

20x4 really are so much nicer than 2x16! You get a lot more space to play with!

ch424

Tags: