1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Mech nerds... GTFIH! [Hawken new news] [BETA!]

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Otis1337, 11 Mar 2011.

1. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Actually, it looks to be a lot slower and stylistically the mechs in the Hawken setting are quite small compared to AC!

I'm not complaining, though. Slower doesn't always mean worse and styles are just styles. From the trailer it looks like they just need to make sure the balance is good and the controls are intuitive or customizable. I'm excited!

2. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

I must say, I thought that the first video released seemed pretty but somewhat mediocre. This new one however... bloody hell! 9 months work and they come up with this!!! Kudos to the team! :thumb:

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ooh, that looks great.

4. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

Cheesecake

5. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

That DOES look great!! If only they had distructable scenery too though. I need mechs + frostbite 1.5!

6. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

But AC's are fantastic. I wish they would release a AC game with the Cry3 engine... jesus that'd be ultimatly one of the most amazing games you could play.

Now that would be intresting... I'm bored *walks through skyscrapper* *watches physics take over as building collapses destroying 40% of city and causing millions of deaths*

7. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

After watching the newest video, I don't care about any other game except for this one.

8. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

this is looks amazing, cant wait for some sort of beta or demo! :D

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The AC series is certainly my favorite for mech games, both in gameplay and in fantasy.

I love how the styling behind NEXTs is so slick. The way they usually have fully articulated arms and legs is my favorite part. How many other mechs actually grip their weapons with five fingered hands? And they're so fast! Not only is the gameplay fast, but the mech design is so heavily based on boosters and flight, a lot of other mechs can only walk or have limited use jet packs. Also, even though you don't really see the cockpit, their technology is much cleaner. Everything's laid out more like a flight simulator with a clean and modern HUD. A lot of other mechs, such as Hawken, are a little too... mechnical for my tastes.

Really, my only complaint with AC's mech design is the size. If they could take the same design styles and shrink it down to a Space Marine type power suit (SM's are too bubbly!) I would be in heaven. AC5's supposed to have smaller models, though. I can't wait to see that.

Back on topic for Hawken: The gameplay looks pretty smooth already. Mechs look like they'll last long enough to really get in some fun chases and firefights. It also looks suitable gritty, it's really easy to get into even just watching a video!

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

AC is fantastic, played the very original when I was about... seven. Loved it ever since. Last one I played was AC4 I believe on the PS2? I was always the guy who didn't really care for speed... but went towards mid-range combat. Saying that I had a friend who managed to complete the entire game with laser blades and a grenade launcher.

I should slap you for your heresy. Space Marine's are fine how they are, Repent or I will condemn your soul. Anyway...

Yeah AC's around 9feet tall would be the best ones to go for... Be a tonne more intresting, especially considering then you could use buildings as fighting zones. Jump-packs and overcharge would be intresting at that size aswell.

11. impar

impar Minimodder

12. JCBeastie

JCBeastie What's a Dremel?

13. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

saw Mark Rein raving over this the other week [he was speaking at a games dev thing i was at], for an indie game it looks badass, me want.

14. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

No single player unfortunately :(.

15. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Eh, indie dev, Steam will snap it up. MP all the way :)

16. pingu666

pingu666 What's a Dremel?

really like the visual art style of the buildings and environment :)

17. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

This looks really good, kinda remins me of Tribes. I hope they have lots of weapons, needs heat seeking missiles!

18. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I want to play Heavy Gear 2 now

19. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

That was a great game. Overlooked by many I think because it seemed like Mechwarrior 'Lite', but I enjoyed it a lot.
    I haven't managed to get it working without crashing every few minutes on Windows 7, but I narrowed the problem down to DirectX DLL problems.

It was the inspiration for me starting a little project to build custom DirectX dlls for older games based on older versions of DirectX that exhibit problems with newer versions or newer OSes.
    Haven't gotten very far with it yet, but Heavy Gear 2 will be one of my testbeds for it. :)

20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Heavy Gear 2 was (and still is) awesome. Having a Dark Kodiak outfitted with a VHAC made me feel...big.

I wish they'd make Heavy Gear 3.