1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning Metaversa 2.0: Even More Messing about with concepts...

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Nexxo, 25 Apr 2011.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That would be even more costly. I would make it by hand myself --if I had access to Attila's workshop. Unfortunately I don't, and the local university workshop gets kittens about health and safety when I ask. Birmingham has a real lack of publicly accessible hacker spaces... :(

And the time! I work 50 hour weeks (but get paid for 37. Still think the public sector is a good deal, anybody?) so only really have weekends, and I have a lot to do on the house, mind the bees, try and spend some time with my wife.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I understand you SOOOO much. Hard to find time when you're working ... and even harder when you're engaged and/or have child(ren).

I've seen an old projector on ebay that reminded me of your design. The stand is beautiful and very classy.

I'm trying to find a tutorial for a DIY horn speaker using those old pathe marconi horn wax disc player

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Nexxo

Yes, they are awesome pieces of engineering. There are some steampunk iPod docks that make use of reclaimed horn speakers:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's the sort of effect I want to go for: the antique brass and wood of Victorian projectors and Edwardian box cameras.

Last edited: 8 Jul 2011
    Editor22 likes this.
  4. GuilleAcoustic

My brain is damn burning ... I'm addicted to old clock and horn speaker + tube amp ... just when I finally went over my addiction ... noooOOOoooOOOoooooooooo.

I'm planing a DIY jensen loudspeaker with a front loaded horn + 1" compression chamber. I'm going with a Supravox 300mm full range speaker and a JBL 1" compression, kinf of something like that

[​IMG]

I'm wanting to build a tube amp too. I found a nice schematic but hashimoto tranformers are very expensive (around 1000$ worth tranformer + self).

http://www.tube-amps.net/EA_Hashimoto_EL34_PP_01.htm

[​IMG]

5. Nexxo

Give in to the Dark Side, Luke. :p

I've got a tube amp --nothing fancy, a Fatman iTue 182, and a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 Anniversary Edition speakers.

Hopefully my next build will include nixie tubes and 'magic eyes'... :naughty:

6. GuilleAcoustic

Alwaaayyyyyys loook at the briiiiighttt siiiiiIIIiiiiiide of liiife ... *whistle* tweee tweetweee tweetweetweetweetweetweeeeeeee

Niiiixiiiiiiiiiie and magic eyes :brrr:. I saw a nice Prima luna tube amp with a magic eye, playing music on a pair of Klipsch Heresy III .... :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Last edited: 8 Jul 2011
  7. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

For curiosity's sake, what are you using for smoker fuel for your hives? We always used pine straw. Free and worked REALLY well, and didn't smell as offensive as the compressed cotton stuff they sell.

Kept bees all through high school and into college. Family here is allergic is the only impediment to doing it now. Hopefully you guys don't have the issues with varroa mites we did here.

8. Nexxo

I use a toilet roll stuffed with dry grass (from mowing our tiny lawn) and paper to start it off, sat on a bed of wood chips. That works pretty well for the short periods we need it --us having only one hive at the moment. We hope to expand to two next year, perhaps three. At the rate our colony is growing, we may be able to do an artificial swarm next year.

And everyone has got varroa mites... Currently we are managing to control it here, but one of our bee keeping association members thinks it is the nosema virus it carries that is responsible for the colony collapse disorder we've been seeing across the Western world. The UK being a big island has allowed us to control diseases a bit better here. The Isle of Man apparently has no varroa at all!

9. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

Those Ipod docks are amazing I wish I had one.. "heads off to the world of ebay"

10. Nexxo

^^^ Yo, dawg, I heard you like thread derails, so I put a thread derail in your thread derail... :hehe:

11. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Dear god those docks are amazing! I want one.. scratch that I neeeeed one!

12. Elmacho

Elmacho What's a Dremel?

What we need is a network of modders that in times like this would pull together and utilize each others resources to help one another out =)

13. GuilleAcoustic

I can provide links to Audio grade components shops (capacity, resistors, vaccum tube, transformer). I have a nice collection of amplifiers schematics (MOSFET and tubes), aswell as ebook about amplifier, mosfet specification (almost all mosfets, THE mosfet bible).

I have a tone of stuff about loudspeaker too (schematics, cabinets, etc..). Feel free to ask :lol:

14. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Sorry for a mini hijack Nexxo but where did you start Guille? I've always wanted to build myself a set of oak desktop speakers similar in style to mordant short or monitor audio but have no idea where to even begin :(

15. GuilleAcoustic

I'm giving you your thread back Nexxo, last offtpoic (sowwy :blush:). I'll start a thread dedicated to DIY audio in the planning thread (witth all my links).

Editor22 likes this.
  16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

*COUGH*
    Any thoughts on adding nixie tubes to this design?

17. Nexxo

Was going to (hadn't modelled them in because I was still deciding on where); I was planning on nixie-tube number indicators to show coolant flow.

Interestingly there are beautiful IN9 tuning/volume bar nixie tubes which can be driven by pulse width modulation. I was thinking they would be ideal for fan speed indication as they can make use of the same PWM circuit:

Last edited: 14 Jul 2011
  18. asura

asura jack of all trades

Behind/under the res, with careful use of lenses/mirrors/prisms to make the output readable through the water.

19. GuilleAcoustic

Ogi Lumen is your friend :p : Ogi Lumen

I was thinking about using those as a "elapsed time" display in a DIY music player

20. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Wow. I just LOVE steampunk stuff, I'm reading "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling which is giving me similar ideas.

I really like the asymetrical curve of #3, and the legs of #4... so I'd love to see a kind of mashup of the two (#5?).

Keep it going!