1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding Rant

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-23315, 25 Dec 2010.

1. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

when I read your post (please refer back to it), it sounded to me as though you were being critical of what other so. if that is not the case then I apologize. Again, please re-read your post. Specifically when you said 'blinking lights and UV crap' - that can be construed to say those who do use those things in their build are essentially putting crap into their builds. Given the context of this thread I think that is not an unreasonable reading of your post.
    Also, I am not just talking about YOUR posts but ALL the posts in this thread that are critical or negative in tone.

As for what I like: my personal tastes are questionable so I would not want to even comment :eyebrow: What I do want is for people to share what they have done - including you. I am sure we all could find something to like in your current rig. Why not share it?

2. Canon

Canon Reformed

Alright, I can level with you there, my choice of words were not exactly tactful, when I say 'crap' it sounds 100% derogatory, obviously, but I mean it in no such way, I wouldn't expect anyone to gather that from my post, so there the fault lies with me for lack of forethought. But please realise, when posting said comments I was not referring to anyones build, and I mean anyone, it was a comment about how I view these things on my stuff and that alone, hence being quite surprised it was taken so personally.

Perhaps it's worth considering I may be overly conscious of my belongings or perhaps I am working on something I do not wish to share at this stage, I'll leave the guessing to you. I hope my motives for membership of bit-tech aren't also being drawn into question though because that would begin to get silly.

3. DarthBeavis

I look forward to your unveiling then. Internet communications are a challenge as it makes it difficult for each party to clarify or express non-verbal cues that would be present in face-to-face communications

4. RedRaider

RedRaider The RealRedRaider

You better get your popcorn ready....

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

6. RedRaider

RedRaider The RealRedRaider

You're going to need a bigger bucket...
    :D

7. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Ok guys, slightly off topic. We've got this far with this discussion, where is the future for modding, what way do you think it's going, styles etc.

8. mrdbristol

mrdbristol Voided my warranty years ago

Beige :D

9. bulldogjeff

Yeah baby!! lets all go retro. And while we're at it tank tops, flares and sideburns. OH, I'm going to look and flee bay for a kaftan and some tie dye T shirts.

I've got some flat IDE cables some where as well.

10. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

LOL so I'm back in fashion again :hehe:

11. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

... and I was about to say that we all should do some Commodore64 mod now:D

If I can add something - I agree on splitting case mods and scratch builds but only where they compete in some way like MOTY for example.

12. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

I would like to see more textile, more nature-colors in modding. Give me brown and gold components, sleeving and lc (I'm aware that some of it exists in some extend).

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

There have been several well made points in this thread, but to be honest, most of it is just pointless whinging. I for one am glad to see that the quality of things like paint and sleeving has reached a decent standard in recent years, be it thanks to MDPC or not. The "I want to be on Million Dollar PC" thing is absolute rubbish - anyone who builds anything that looks like anything on that site normally just does it because they like that look, and if they start a project with the mindset that their finished product is going to end up on MDPC, then they're idiots. Make no mistake about it - the Murdermod idea was and is a fantastic design, and it's obvious that people love it because they have been inspired to incorporate that look into their own projects, but most everyone puts their own twist on it somehow.

What I'd be more inclined to rant about is the high number of absolutely shoddy projects popping up recently. There are those that just don't have any flair whatsoever, those which feature predominantly untidy wiring, cutting and paint, those which as project logs are illegible with horribly lit photos and those which start well but are abandoned half way through.

Meh... it's all relative. I have my own ideas, my own designs and my own opinions. The most important thing I will be remembering when I begin to post project logs here in 2011 is this: I don't really care what you think about my designs, but you're more than welcome to let me know anyway :thumb:

See here:

Last edited: 3 Jan 2011
  14. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I do agree that there are a few shoddy projects around but everyone has to start somewhere. What I cannot stand for is when people get sponsorship for their project and never finish. It does immeasurable damage to this community in terms of credibility and makes it that much harder for legit modders to get sponsored.

15. bulldogjeff

You've been reading my mind, i was thinking exactly the same as I was reading through Unicorns post.
    I said it in another thread on here thats it amazes me thats some people on here have got quite a lot of sponsorship which makes me read the log and think, yeah this is going to be good and the end result as I put it last time the end result looks like it's been done by a 7 year old with a lump hammer and a shovel. There are some seriously talented modders on this site and they get nothing, which is totally wrong.

16. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

And whats wrong with a lump hammer and a shovel ?? lol No I couldn't agree more jeff I would love to get some of that sponsorship.

17. bulldogjeff

I wouldn't say no to some either Tel..lol

I just been reading the sandy bridge review and thinking about where modding is going. If you look at 90% of the sponsorship it is hardware based, now granted companies want to show off their gear in the best way, so it works. But think back not so long ago, it was all about the modding, a lot of mods had pretty basic hardware which served no other purpose other than to fire everything up and qualify it as a PC. Looking at moding today I don't remember reading a log where some one has said "and a big thank you to Joe blogs for providing me with all the raw materials for this build".

Don't get me wrong,I don't have a problem with some one supplying all the hardware, I know expensive it is.
    Its strange the way things have changed. I know my next build is going to built around the hardware that I already have with a few additions. It seems that modding today is as hardware focused as it it about the actual build process. Yes I know you don't buy a Lamborghini and drop a Ford Focus engine in it before you all remind me of that fact!

18. DarthBeavis

LOL - I don't think some of you understand the sponsorship thing ;) if you want it then you have to get off your rear end and learn to market yourself. I don't care how good of a modder you are you will not get squat unless you know how to communicate with companies using their marketing terminology including how to identify and quantify ROI for the investment you are asking for. What events do you guys take your builds do? Can you show me a portfolio? How many magazine covers do you have? How many builds do you produce a year? Do you produce builds to SHOWCASE vendor X's product?

getting sponsored (at least from my perspective and I am one of more well-sponsored modders in the US) is about face-to-face time with the companies. That means you get out there and ATTEND events like QuakeCon and PAX (not sure what the European equivalents are).

19. coolmiester

coolmiester Coolermaster Legend

Certainly an interesting OP which has triggered plenty of healthy debate.

For me, modding and watercooling went hand in hand when i first started back in the day as there simply wasn’t the off-the-shelf kit available back then which not only led to some ingenious and wonderful ideas and work arounds to get things to fit and work but more importantly it gave the builder the opportunity to create a one off unique masterpiece which i tend to consider as true “modding” and there certainly was some talented modders back then.

Modern day builders are spoilt for choice with the abundance of kit available so its no wonder that MDPC clone type builds flooded the worklog section which tbh isn’t necessarily a bad thing if you’re into that type of build but its never going to be a one-off masterpiece and for me, always a bit dull to follow as the log tends to be predictable no matter how good the photographs are which seems to be compulsory for these type of builds.

Anyway, there still seems to be masses of talent out there judging by the worklog section and MOTM which is refreshing as it shows people aren’t just buying a whole bunch of kit and putting it together like a Meccano set so long let it last and lets see what the next 10 years brings.

20. bulldogjeff

Read back to what Djayness was saying. it's not about the lack of sponsorship,it's about the quality of modding and some of the crap that sponsored modders are turning out. I got into modding because I enjoy it, of course if some one dropped a pile of stuff on my door step I would love it, but I'm in it for the enjoyment, not what I can get out of it. Read through me log on Project Heat Blast and see my reasons for doing it. I'm not having a go at you here, just clearing up what we've been saying:thumb: