1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding Rant

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-23315, 25 Dec 2010.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

Perfectly said..+rep

Teelzebub likes this.
  2. Fingers66

Fingers66 Kiwi in London

Personally I don't mind if we see a lot of similar "projects", buried in some of the plainest "mods" can be some very clever ideas - see Bumsrush's CPU Cooler Tunnel as an example.

In addition, sometimes seeing how one person did something can motivate you to do it better yourself. You can also learn from other's mistakes.

I spent a long time browsing some very plain and repetitive worklogs to figure out the bext way to allow my PSU to intake air externally in my Antec 300. I saw a lot of bad attempts along the way but I learnt something from all of them, even if it was "I'm not doing it that way".

I am not so precious to want to criticise anyone who wants to try something, even if it is not an original approach. People have to start somewhere and copying someone else's approach gives them the confidence to be able to do it themselves. Not everyone is creative or confident enough to do a world class, trophy winning original mod the first time out.

Teelzebub likes this.
  3. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I come here for various reasons and yes I tend to spend more time on the top 15% projects not because I am elitist, but because I feel that I can learn from them. Creativity breeds creativity.

In short, I may not have time to see every single project log out there and I may come here for selfish reasons (to learn) but at the end of the day I won't bash or look down upon anyone who posts any mod job here, regardless of how many times it has been done before. People shouldnt feel like they are scared to posts their work on bit-tech. Not sure how else to word it, its just that simple.

4. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Im glad to see we've got a good debate going.

But i just want to make the point, that firstly, im pretty sure my opinion is in the minority, and i'm not trying to turn people off from posting, its just the fact that im less interested in commenting yada yada yada, but that doesnt mean I dont want to look at the logs. I can appreciate hard work and give credit where i think its due.

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I'm probably in the "I comment" group.

Now that I'm back from my 9 month secret gig, I still have a lot of catching up to do. Personally, I read every log and look at every picture. Often something in the picture that isn't even being discussed will get my attention. A bracket made in such and such a way, a wire management idea, even a storage idea from the work area.

john

6. Canon

Canon Reformed

Cable sleeving: Neat, tidy, practical.

Flashing LEDs and UV crap: Useless, I have things to look at aplenty my PC doesn't need to be one of those things, it's a PC not a centrepiece.

I think sometimes it would be nice to see something way out different and a bit cooky, but as far as aesthetics (such as colour, shiny things), meh..

7. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

If I don't like what is on TV then I change the channel. It is a simple but powerful method for providing feedback that doesn't hurt peoples feelings. If you want to openly criticize other peoples work then make sure you do it with your douche bag sign hung proudly around your neck. Constructive criticism is a great thing but sadly the vast majority of us really suck at it.

8. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

and that is your opinion. everyone has one. Fortunately not every one agrees with you

My builds are on the showfloor at CES, PAX, QuakeCon, BlizzCon just to name a few events. So, when I build I do build centerpieces not just PCS. What you do for you is great. Just don't expect everyone to feel the same

Last edited: 1 Jan 2011
  9. bulldogjeff

I put all of those things in my last project and some flashy paint and shiny things to finish it off. There's a pic of it in my avatar.

10. Canon

Canon Reformed

Nice, depending on taste obviously but not for me. The last thing I need is another visual distraction.

Yes I am aware of that being my opinion, thanks for the reminder though, i'm so whimsical these days I may have forgotten in the 6 minutes after posting.

11. jhanlon303

It was really cool when Atilla was doing Cygnus. He would whip something up(would have taken me forever) and ask us what we thought. Interaction in a positive environment will keep people coming back. All of my mods seen here were first attempts to do non traditional cases. Dare to be different. I'm passed the age of bashing people. Bashing me is allowed. I listen and try to see the point.

john

12. DarthBeavis

Good to remind others here when you use loaded words
    I don't ever see any worklogs or builds you have posted. Unless you have the gonads to post your work I think you have no place to comment.

13. jhanlon303

See, that's wrong. We are all here for the same reason. Electronics in one form or another. He(or she) is just as entitled to a vote or a comment as any of us. As long as we stay within Bindi's rules, we can all share. No flamewars, no pointy bits, play nice. The banhammer is lurking.

john

14. DarthBeavis

please do ban me lol. When you say this or that is crap you need to at least have something of yours on the table as well. I say don't comment on my builds unless you are willing to share yours as well. :dremel:

15. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I just thought I would remind you it is just your opinion being more than 6 minutes you may have forgotten.

16. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

Thank you! It's nice to hear that I'm still sane and sober. :lol:

17. Canon

Canon Reformed

Well observed I have not posted any worklogs or builds, thus my opinion on this matter must be entirely invalid. As you were so keen to point out, it is my opinion, if you don't like it, you have your own, I may not like it so much either but you don't see me bringing it into question do you?

Surely I have just stated something similar to the first paragraph of the OP in reverse, 'Anal cable tidiers' and OCD related (light hearted I am sure) jests. I don't take offence to any of the aforementioned but it is my opinion (no need to remind me this time, thanks) that if somebody does happen to have OCD and they like nothing better than frittering away a few hours tidying their cables then that's fine, just as it is ok to go mad with the LEDs and paint, if that is your thing.

Next time you pass comment on somebody elses car, house or furniture, remember your logic, if you havn't made one of your own, zip it.

There's no need to make it personal.

edit: my quotes are not exact there, wouldn't want to upset anyone.

18. bulldogjeff

Fair point, up till now it's all been a good constructive debate. So lets not resort to hand bags at 10 paces.

19. DarthBeavis

unlike you, I have not commented about how other people mod I have commented about how other people critique. I have given my time and effort back to the community many times over. People put their time and effort into these projects only have to have douchbags (not you per se but many others at other forums with less class than BT: http://www.overclock.net/case-mods-general-discussion/900124-pc-beto-cool-case-mod-not.html ) flame away. The negative comments for the most part in this thread are weaksauce.

One example is criticizing a person being anal about sleeving. Do you have any idea how long it takes to unsleeve a PSU? It takes a ton of effort.

20. Canon

Canon Reformed

Firstly, I'm not making comments about other peoples work, I'm stating how I feel about my things. What other people do to their things is their business and if they have the grace to share it with us and explain to us how and why they did it then kudos to them and as I have read many logs I can tell you the majority of it is very tasteful stuff. But once again for the hard of hearing (or short sighted should I say). I'm just commenting on what I like, I don't care what you like, that's very good and all but please...no need to shove it down my throat.

Secondly, and related. I do not remember criticising anyone about being anal, read my posts properly, then they might offend you less.

I can indeed see this going down the handbags at dawn route, so if you don't mind I think we should agree to disagree.