1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Modding Rant

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Guest-23315, 25 Dec 2010.

1. bulldogjeff

bulldogjeff The modding head is firmly back on.

2. Hannes

Hannes Design | Art | Performance

I haven't read a 100% of the thread. I intend to do it when I have more time, it's new years eve and I should tend to dine my family rather than writing or reading anything but I just got cought up with this remarkable, really interesting debate.

I tend to agree on a majority of the point Mankz and many others have. I feel somewhat hit, or described in some cases.. I mean, this is one of my builds: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=196978

Lian Li case? Check!
    MDPC-X sleeving? Check!
    Product shots? Check!

I mean, it's still a work in progress so I believe some more of the things Markz pointed out as boring or unfilling will be done. And quite frankly I hope it does. Some of the things Markz among others points out I don't feel as a bad things at all. Of course it's greatly uninteresting to see pictures of out of the box hardware instead of some hard modding of a case, but I and many other actually do a lot of work even on the hardware. In my eyes, it's details that makes a whole and maybe, or rather probably you have different goals when modding an already nice case, such as a Lian Li or a Silverstone TJ07 than when making a scratch build. But I can't see why both can't be developing for the builder or for the observer for that matter. You just have to look at it with the right eyes.

Makz describes Janiks Pink Project (it's quite obvious. BTW, There actually are a worklog of that build). It's just that Million-do... is a showcase for finished builds that is good enough, or fall under the right genre, or actually in the creator(s) of MDPC's taste to be. It's not a forum, it's not a school. It's more like you go to an artgallery and look at paintings. It's not for all and it's not even remotly comparable with bit-tech.

I'm greatly inspired by MDPC and what it stands for. I'm all for taking interesting shots which in some cases maybe is better as pictures than the actual build. But then again, the build might become more interesting to watch because of that to arnt it? I for one love it when the author takes artful and interesting pictures, for me it's one aspect of the buildlog. I also love it when people do something different with their hardware, or their cooling. When they have an awesome LC loop, with some really innovative touches and fine lines. Or when they polish the caps of the hardware, removes stickers or even print their own. I love it when they're able to make everything feel on place and when every single little cut in the case is 100% smooth and clean. I looove it when it got an custom feel. But then again, I for one do not strive to be the greatest, or most accurate designer nor modder. I'm doing this to express my creativity, it's my artform. My style. The presentation of my build is part of my art aswell as the actual hardware and the case. :hip:

I don't have time to write anything more right now. But I'll check back and re-read the thread. My first language isn't English and it becomes all so clear at some points. :wallbash:

Anyways, really interesting points, and some points are taken. This is what's wonderful with a big forum like this. You'll never stop learning. :D

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

After reading this thread I'm wondering where that places my log lol bog standard Mountain Mod case with my own cooling system invention.

Not sure I'll bother posting the next one I'm going to do it might not live upto some peoples standards.

4. bulldogjeff

You had quite a few one off bits in that if I remember rightly.

5. DarthBeavis

DarthBeavis What's a Dremel?

www.outoftheboxmods.com
    :thumb:
    I will update it today

6. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Post it!:thumb: I don't think most people on here are professional modders. We do this for ourselves. I do my logs in the 'did this today' style simply to get feedback and meet the forum members. Fun place to hang out.

john

7. Djayness

Djayness phwupupupup

I was going to quote the post but it was a bit long :)

I do agree with many of the points raised and sometimes when I see 800D or TJ07 in the title half of me cringes but the other half goes "maybe this worklog will provide something unique".

Most of the logs are just mods of cases and when it comes to watercooling or improving a mainstream case with limited room, most mods will tend to do exactly the same thing abiet different fans and watercooling, different drive mounts etc. These projects are the 85% and yes sometimes they are not very creative or unique but thats life :)

I personally come here for the 15% of the logs that turn out to be the ones that reach front page or get modding features, you know the ones I am talking about. Not surprisingly, these mods are usually made by a few of us here who have taken the hobby one step further, often the ones that have made front page have made it before and once you reach that sort of level you tend to want to improve.

On the creativity front I guess I would like to see more scratch builds but thats just personal preference. When your building a one off case for a specific purpose or theme, it will almost never look like any other mod or build ever created.

In short, the 85% will still remain but as long as you can see the other creative 15% quite easily and visibly then there is no need to worry. The 15% that excel here stand out like Miranda Kerr and Nina Dobrev do in a crowd of "The biggest loser contestants". Nina Dobrev is damn hot (on a completely unrelated note...you're googling her right now arent you :) ).

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Only thing that bothers me is that everyone seems to call their current undertakings, Project this or project that, surely there has to be another way of describing you current work.

I know it's only a small thing.

9. bulldogjeff

When all is said and done I would not name anything, it's PC, an inanimate object. But bit-tech insist on everything having a name of some sort. When you think about it, it does make a lot of sense and makes it easier to keep an eye on a particular project log.

Look at my first log, I called it bulldogs box, thats how creative I get with project names..lol

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

It's not the naming on things, its the fact its always got the word project in front of it, just give it a name.

Kind of un-original.

11. DarthBeavis

12. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

@Darth. I was checking that out earlier. Won't pass Bindi examination but one seriously good airbrush. Props.

john

13. DarthBeavis

I did not paint it. The guy who did is amazing tho

www.stevenunez.com

He does not generally do computer stuff but did it for me in exchange for building him systems.

Want to stay on Bindi's good side though :thumb:

14. Kojak

Kojak Who loves ya baby

Wow this thread has really picked up some momentum! I agree with points on both sides of the fence in terms of the scratch builds and case mods, there have been some good points made.The case mods seem to be getting some flack but I really like them and find them extremely useful viewing. They let you see what is possible to mod, what works and what doesn't. I also like to see the purchased parts shown because as someone as me that is new to the game I've found it useful in aiding what particular bits and pieces to buy myself because you can see them all together in a built system which you just can't when your looking at them on a retailer site. I love to see a case torn apart to accustom the makers needs and desires. Although I do find some builds lame when the person has just taken pictures of what gear they have bought and just simply installed them. Although I also don't think we should be so hard on the case mods that some of us would call uncreative either, a lot of people haven't got the resources nor access to some of the awesome tools and machinery that some do, I can pretty much guess that a lot of modders using the forums out there are young kids or don't work somewhere where they can get access to tools and machinery or are on a budget, so they can only work with what they've got. If I didn't work in the profession that I do then I wouldn't have done the things I have been able to do with my mod, It would just be an 800D with a few holes cut into it at most. I think the case mods are useful to the majority of people as well because you can relate to them if you have the same particular case sitting at home, it shows you what you can do yourself.
    I understand where people are coming from by wanting to see more creative logs and I agree to a degree but I don't think having a creative original scratch build is the be all and end all. I think it's more the project log it's self that probably needs to be more creative in some cases, it's not necessary for the build to be creative, the build is what ever the maker desires it to be. I like both just as much as each other, case mods show me what can be done with what I have sitting next to me at home and scratch builds give me ideas and inspirations as to what I could possibly try in the future.
    The argument of Oh no here's another case mod with a water set up and a paint job and window in the side panel can be applied to scratch builds in the same way. I can just as easily say Oh no here's another scratch build with angle section and rivets, neither one is more creative than the other. Many people have started with case mods and in time will become more creative as they learn and will possibly move onto scratch builds or will be content in modding or chopping something up but those who have pushed their knowledge and creativity and reached the forefront of creating new stuff can't then turn around and knock the others at the other end of the line if you get what I mean not that I've seen any of that happen. Either way they're both the same ball park to me and both as useful and educating as each other with some being pure eye candy …So maybe in some cases more effort should be put into a project log in terms of involving the Bit-tech community and showing your work in progress as you've gone along because otherwise it makes for a pretty boring viewing, there is the “how to write a project log guide” on the front page. Other than that I think everything is fine, I either find a log interesting or I don't, that simple. I'm rambling on now and tired so I'll get off to bed before I make a complete twit of myself if I've not already lol...

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!! :D :thumb:

Hannes likes this.
  15. Mach

Mach What's a Dremel?

Project log rules suggest using "Project". On other forums, I don't include project.

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=113985

16. Hannes

Exactly my point! :worried:

+rep for those sober thoughts throughout the whole post.

17. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

LOL mine ended up with a few name's thanks to you and a few other friends lol

I think its hard to say this a mod or thats a project, But tbh I prefer the one's that are not sponsored and dont have access to expensive machine's it shows creativity and ingenuity to achieve the desired result with the minimum of tools and every part is paid for by the builder, Knowing how expensive it can get that shows true dedication.

I probably will post my next one here as to whether its a mod or a project I'm not sure ?? But I'm hoping it will be a first, Working out how to do it is definitly proving to be a pain lol

Last edited: 1 Jan 2011
  18. bulldogjeff

Wow every one's firing on all cylinders today.

I totally agree with what Kojak is saying. Djayness says he comes on here for the 15%, which is fine, we all love seeing these wonderful creations, but it's the other 85% that keep the site going, with out them it would be a pretty slow and boring site. Thats no disrespect to Djaynees and the others that are putting out unbelievable scratch builds, but as has already been said not every one has the skills or access to the tools necessary to turn out work to that standard. I know that Attila has done it, but now it comes back to skills.

And as for innovation or lack or it, what about Bumrush's tunnel mod, that was brilliant, so what if it lives in an unmodded MM UFO case. Any one who's not impressed by that
    obviously doesn't know what the word inovation means.

And painting, I love the stuff that Darth bevis does, I see so many mods on here that I think are 90% of the way to being excellent if only they had a nice coat of paint on them to finish them off. Some people may not like that type of stuff, but I love it, so good luck to him and Pablofunky for going for totally mad paint jobs. I'm not saying every one has to have that sort of art work, just coat of paint to add a finishing touch.

19. Hannes

For me, this is about creativity. As long as people are building, there's creativity. Being inspired, or to copy an other persons work is a way to learn. Maybe it's nothing that brings the community forward as a whole. But it gives the person doing it experience. Experience which in the future may be a great base for a mod, or scratchbuild that will be significant in the eyes of others.

Just because it's not important to you, or the next guy. Maybe it is for the third. What I'm trying to say is just because it's not front-page material. It might be of great worth and it probably is. At least for the author. Peeps should never be afraid to show their work. I mean, even if it's not world class. It's interesting to see the process and the development for this specific modder, or in some cases, PC builders.

Instead of bashing peoples mods, help them evolve. Be pedagogical, Give something back to the community, for quite frankly, it's the community who've put you where you are today. (You being everyone including me, not a specific person in this thread.)

bulldogjeff likes this.
  20. DarthBeavis

If you have constructive criticism you should mention it to the person in a PM first then post it in their worklog if they say it is okay to do so.

As for mods, people either love or hate what you produce (just look at my projects that get Engaget mentions, I get totally flamed). Such is life. If you mod to please others then you need to quit. Just be true to yourself and people will eventually grow to like what you do.