1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Safety Razors?

Discussion in 'General' started by glaeken, 20 Dec 2011.

1. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

When you are first starting out with a safety razor you will get the odd nick and scrape, just use some alcohol based aftershave or, better still, an alum block afterwards and those little weepers will stay clean and close right up.

It's like anything, else, you just need practice. Once you get to know what you are doing a bit more and your skin has improved from the better shave you are now getting, you will get less and less 'pink foam'

2. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Does anyone have any tips as to how to get a good lather going or what exactly you do with the brush/cream before applying it to your face.

My first safety razor shave went ok, lot of burn and a couple of nicks but the shave was unlike anything I've had before and now I've done it once I'm sure it will be fine. I basically put a bit in my palm and then used the brush to lather up... how wrong am I doing it?

3. saspro

saspro IT monkey

What I do is soak the brush in warm water whilst I have my shower (in a small bowl or cup).
    Then shake the brush once to remove the excess water and load it with a small amount of cream. I then work it until I get the consistency I require (it takes a bit of work).

Sometimes you need add a small dab of extra water if it's not creamy enough.

To stop razor burn you need to check your angle, make sure you're not using any pressure at all. Don't go against the grain until you've mastered both the above points and your skin is used to safety razor shaving.
    You need to apply the shaving cream to your face in a swirling motion and leave it on for a minute or so to soften the beard before shaving.

& never forget the hot towel before hand

4. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

I hated shaving and I've used Mach 3's, Wilkinson Swords and all sorts of common razors.

Switched to a double edged safety razor 2 years ago and shaving has effectively become an experience, rather than a requirement. Strange but true.
    :)

5. Almightyrastus

For some of the best tips and instructions I have seen, get over to youtube and watch a series of vids by a guy going by the username of mantic59 (as far as I can remember).

Unfortunately I can't link to any of them from work (youtube is blocked "for our security"........)

6. CarlT2001

CarlT2001 What's a Dremel?

I had been looking at expensive electric shavers over the past week, but I think this thread has changed my mind. Been using cartridges forever and wanted something different.
    I have just ordered a starter set consisting Black badger brush, Truefitt and hill ultimate comfort cream, Razor blade sample pack (35x) and the Merkur Futur Chrome.
    Saspro, whats the best way to get a "hot towel"?

Last edited: 9 Feb 2012
  7. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

A flannel + hot tap is the mans way forward ;)

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Either soak it in hot water or soak it in water, microwave it for a min then stick it in a sealable bag whilst you shower.

Make sure you leave the futur at 1 whilst you get used to it. It's a heave beast & when opened up to 4 or beyond had a massive blade gap.

I started on 1 then moved to 4 for wtg & 1 for atg then eventually moved up to the wide open for both wtg & atg. One false move with it at wide open & it's messy

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I have started using a DE safety razor recently (Edwin Jagger Georgian with silver tip badger brush) and it is the Best. Shave. Ever.

Forget cartridges or expensive electric razors. Nothing comes close to a sink filled with hot water, hot towel, a good lather and the light, soothing strokes of a razor still warm from a regular rinse in hot water. It's not a chore, it's a meditative ritual. No burn, no nicks and baby-smooth skin, gently rubbed with a small dab of a nice aromatic aftershave balm. Bliss.

Seriously, shave like your Edwardian gentleman grandfather and feel your testicles double in size and your voice drop an octave. It's the ultimate rite of manliness.

10. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Has anyone considered using cut-throat razors? I've always wanted to take up as I think it's a skill that is almost lost to us and should be remembered (not to mention seriously old school cool and bravery factors). I get my neck shaved like this when I have a hair-cut, but most hair dressers are phasing this out. I have a beard along my jaw line, chin and around my mouth. I basically shave my cheeks and throat. I've always wet shaved but with cartridges. I shave about once a week as the beard lets me get away with the sin of stubble. If shaving can be as enjoyable as you all claim I might do it more often. Can anyone compare straight and safety? Should I start safety or can I jump "straight" in?

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

As far as I'm aware there are classes. I think straight razors are a work of art, but I think the same of motorcycles and I don't trust myself to use either without doing myself some serious injury. :p

12. Almightyrastus

i occasionally use a straight. i have a couple, one is a traditional all steel blade and the other takes half a safety razor blade so avoids the need for honing and stropping.

Honing and stropping of a razor are 2 more skills which are pretty difficult to master so i would think about gtting one that takes replacable blades if you want to try it out.

13. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

Yeah, I was thinking that too. That way if I have any problems I'll know if it's my shaving or sharpening technique that is causing the issues.

14. CarlT2001

Just had first shave with my new Merkur 34C and Merkur blade. My first experience of a DE razor. Wet shaved with cartridge based before this, so was unsure if there would be much difference. Even this early on I am very impressed. Took my time getting a good lather with the Taylor cream and applying with a very nice Edwin Jagger brush. Not left me with a complete bbs finish, but I think that will come with practice and technique. My skin feels cleaner and much more refreshed. Hopefully the pimply rash around my neck and the "in growns" I get from cartridges will be a thing of the past.
    Thanks Glaeken for starting this thread and introducing me to a whole new shaving experience. :thumb:

15. Almightyrastus

Good to hear you are liking it.

Now you have started I have another bit of advice for you, unless you have mad, crazy wolf man growth give it a day or two before you shave again, just to start with. The blades you are using now are far sharper than what you face is used to with the plastc nasties, ease things along gently at first.

16. CarlT2001

Thanks for the advice, Almighty. I typically shave every morning, but am willing to change things up to make the most of DE. So, trying the pre-bed shave as you mentioned previously. Will see how it fairs tomorrow growth wise.
    Just ordered a bowl, drip stand and alum block.
    Even after one shave, I can't see myself going back to carts.

17. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I've got a couple.

I save them for days when I have plenty of time to shave and am wide awake.
    I can get a BBS shave with a DE very easily even half asleep on a work day in 5 mins or so. A straight take a bit longer and a lot more concentration.

Start on a DE then build up to a straight (especially when a good straight isn't exactly cheap)

18. Privatedan13

Privatedan13 What's a Dremel?

I think safety razor will be the way forward. Though I've been particulary lucky in almost reaching 30 and not neededing to shave more than once per week.

I'm still trying to find an arrangement that is suitable for "her" to keep my things around the sink too.

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I had this issue too. Put up another shelf for her stuff and I took over the window sill :D

20. Almightyrastus

We have split the bathroom cabinet, I have my side, she has hers and the top.... and the 4 baskets on the window sill.... and the back of the sink........

Mind you I do have a large drawer full in the bedroom containing various aftershaves, blades, brushes and other razors.....