1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scotland vote to break away from Uk rule.

Discussion in 'Serious' started by rainbowbridge, 21 Aug 2014.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I agree, there's simply not enough information out there. Personally, I would find the financial aspects to be the most problematic - especially relating to membership of the Euro/sterling and ultimately the EU/NATO. I think there's a lot being glossed over by the SNP who are revelling in the current hated of the conservative government.

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Business may stay, or they may relocate.
    But one thing is certain, Scotland has a larger percentage of civil servants because government wanted to shift some wealth up north, they will either lose their jobs, or be moved south of the border.

Going on what i heard on a TV program, apparently no new member state has ever been allowed to join the EU without also becoming part of the monetary union and having to adopt the €.

3. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yep. Scotland will have to go Euro, and probably will find itself out of EU at the moment of independence.

4. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

It's a bloody nightmare, in my opinion the Yes campaign has in no way quantified the risks involved with independence. (Neither campaign has been been particularly good at providing hard facts)

The fact is you cannot have an oil fund, cure poverty, improve the NHS, dual the A9 AND drop taxes!

To have an oil fund you need to tighten the belt
    To cure poverty you need to make cuts elsewhere or raise taxes
    To improve the NHS you need to make cuts elsewhere or raise taxes
    etc, etc, etc.

And the whole Norwegian justification is BS, the tax rates over there are astronomical!

5. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

It only works in Norway because they all have extremely high salaries to start with, so paying high taxes still leaves them with enough to not require government handouts to avoid starving to death.

In the UK however (including Scotland) wages are so low that millions of people who work full time still rely on government handouts such as tax credits to survive, so any new tax would just increase the welfare bill.

Last edited: 4 Sep 2014
  6. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Norway's GDP is also getting on for nearly twice that of Scotland's.

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Are the markets already reacting to what they think the outcome maybe ?

Pound slides after latest Scottish independence poll
    http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/sep/02/pound-slides-scottish-independence-poll-yes-vote-referendum
    EDIT: I found this an interesting read, and they even ask for people to contact them to ask questions about the referendum :)

Daily question: Would taxes go up or down in an independent Scotland?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29051747

Last edited: 5 Sep 2014
  8. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I'm surprised at your explanation on this.

A vote for independence is not a vote for Salmond or the SNP. Whatever fiscal policy is chosen is subject to separate debate and negotiation. Gibraltar is not part of the UK, but uses the pound. It's a little one-sided, of course, as we can spend UK money there with no problems but Gibraltar money is problematic. Then again, Scottish notes are regularly refused in a high number of establishments in England.

Oh, and http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28951673

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That's because Gibraltar is a British overseas territory and joined the EU when the UK did, by extension it shared the same negotiated opt-out from the part of the Maastricht Treaty that says all EU member states must adopt the EU currency.

10. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

That's a poor response - Scotland has not signed the Maastricht Treaty, and as you imply, Gibraltar's use of the pound goes back further than the EU does. Not all of the current member states use the euro, and of those who have joined more recently, not all of them have firm dates to convert to it.

Given the recent history of the Euro, I imagine whichever party goes into power post independence could drag it out long enough that the euro could become a failed experiment anyway. There's been enough rumour of it being dissolved.

11. adidan

Exactly this.

Scotland will not be a British territory and they will have to have long discussions with the EU and NATO, amongst other things, and lawyers will be making a shed load of money out of it.

I say go for it Scotland, vote 'yes'. I actually think England & Wales will benefit more. Yes, that its based purely on no information whatsoever :)

12. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Well I'm sorry it doesn't live upto your obviously high standards. ;)

You're correct that Scotland has not signed the Maastricht Treaty, but if as Mr Salmond claims Scotland will join the EU, they will have to sign it, point being the two claims of keeping the pound and joining the EU are not compatible, it's one or the other, not both.

Would it be possible to elaborate on what member states don't use the euro (excluding the UK), or what new member states have said they are not going to convert to it.

14. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

Off the top of my head, Croatia have not committed to a date yet.

15. adidan

But they don't currently use a currency that is regulated by a foreign nation which Scotland would be if they used the pound.
    An Independent Scotland would not have an independent central bank if they use the pound.

Seriously, it's the lawyers play day ambiguity of many aspects of indepdence that make me glad I don't have to vote. I feel for Scots, I really do - they may as well put their hand in a bag and hope that it has flowers in it rather than razor blades.

16. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

17. Hamfunk

Hamfunk I AM KROGAN!

Exactly!

With the fact that everything is up for negotiation pending a Yes vote, it could go either way. It is a gamble! Not recognizing this and not being honest with the voters about the realities of independence is the problem I have with the whole thing.

18. adidan

Indeed, but like I say if I were still in Edinburgh it's just one thing I'd want thoroughly discussed before I place my vote.

Making decisions while in the dark is never a good idea and yet that's what you're being forced into North of the border.

If there is a yes vote I really hope it works out.

On a tangent, I do find it funny that in the same breath many MPs argue that we're all stronger together that they would also argue for us to leave the EU...

MPs - all guff and nonsense.

19. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea European Union says nahh.
    Seeing as they only joined last year, i would expect them to adopt the euro at sometime in the future.
    Care to try again on member states that don't use the euro (excluding the UK), or what new member states have said they are not going to convert to it.

20. Xlog

Xlog Minimodder

The only members who are excluded from adopting Euro are UK and Denmark, all other are obliged to join then they meet necessary conditions.