1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress So Say We All - BitFenix Prodigy, UPDATED 11-1-13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JitsuSparty, 25 Aug 2012.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

He's hilarious, especially when he gets the Yorkshire accent kicking off when talking about his childhood. :lol:

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Am looking at getting one of these cases for work :), looking good so far.

I too work in engineering why exactly could they not cut the side panel ?

3. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

So - basically to get it CNC milled would require the use of small diameter cutters - more expensive due to time and possible tool breakage.

looked into Laser cutting - but the width of the remaining metal was too thin.

anyway i have been talking to a mate with a mill and have a plan which I think will look better in the end :)

4. whatsthatnoise

whatsthatnoise What's a Dremel?

Makes sense, but you could simply edit the outline of the cutout in Photoshop. It should also be able to set up the laser cutter to go along the inside of a line not the middle of it, which leaves more material left standing, too. :)

5. adidan

Share your idea mate otherwise I won't be able to shake this image:

[​IMG]

Teelzebub likes this.
  6. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Thanks for the new avatar - as for my idea I am doing some sketches so I can show you guys tomorrow... I would rather make you wait then put a half assed update out ;)

7. adidan

You're welcome. :)

Sketches. I like sketches.

8. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Apologies today's update is postponed until tomorrow due to being at the oval watching cricket :D

9. adidan

That is a more than adequate reason. :thumb:

10. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 1/9/12

right so firstly an apology - I havent been able to actually physically advance the mod between the last update and this one - I should be able to make some progress next week as my mates mill will be available. However, I now have a set of designs firmed up:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    so these two images show my intended mod in almost all the detail. Starting with the 1st side:

I plan to cut a O hole of ~ 9 cm diameter in the centre of the case (the dashed line), then cutting a piece of acrylic (possibly coloured) to just under this diameter. This will then be held in the centre of the hole with locking strip.

The 'phoenix' motif I plan to get made into a custom decal to go on the inside of the acrylic - which can then be back light from within the case. the ring around this I plan to cut through the case - to provide some ventilation.

the other side has the window (the hole needs to be finished cut), on which i plan to have another custom decal - this time as an etch. The wording above will be painted on top of the powder coating.

anyway I have also marked up the acrylic I have and hope to cut it tonight/tomorrow

So that's an update - sorry this mod will be slow as I can't always afford stuff right away and this mod is also unsponsored - as such may be a month or two before I can even think about putting components into it.

Anyway thanks for listening :)

Last edited: 15 Sep 2012
  11. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 2/9/12

So quick update. Tried to cut the acrylic window to size yesterday and well I'm glad I started with a test cut on a piece of scrap - as it decided to crack badly:sigh: so waiting to borrow a few tools from a mate on Monday.

Anyway going to order rest of the materials I need to finish the case today :D

That's all for now folks

12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Can't wait to see those acrylic pieces! :thumb:

13. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

I may have taken out my frustration on the poor remaining piece of acrylic:

[​IMG]

oh and just spent an hour resizing editing all the pics :)

14. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Yeah, that's the problem with acrylic... Lexan/polycarbonate does not explode like that, which is why I almost always use that in stead! :)

15. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

oh it didn't explode, I may have got a bit over enthusiastic with a hack saw/dremel knock off

16. whatsthatnoise

whatsthatnoise What's a Dremel?

"Oh what's that? A crack? ... WHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT T F!!!! Take THIS and THIS and .... AAAAHHH...."

Ooops, looks Damaged.

There's nothing like getting a bit carried away on a shiny day.

:thumb:

Angel OD likes this.
  17. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

That was my point! Lexan/polycarbonate would not have reacted like that. Not the crack, nor the aftermath! :lol:
    I do, however, believe that your comment was worth JitsuSparty's misfortune! :lol:

18. adidan

That sucks mate but I'm glad you mention it.

I've yet to do a case mod/scratch build and most of the ones I read generally go along the lines of - had a great idea, cut this stuff out perfectly, created this beautiful piece of furniture/pc and life is groovy.

I knew it couldn't be that straight forward.

Chin up mate. :thumb:

19. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Well I started out with an ok idea :) developed into what I think is a great idea, spent quite some time sketching/planning/dreaming. Then when I actually bought some stuff made sure I had enough then some - I bought twice as much acrylic as I needed just because I knew i hadnt used it before and breakages would happen.

one thing I will stress to anyone planning on doing anything get some safety specs and wear them.

20. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Have some rep on that point! :)