1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress So Say We All - BitFenix Prodigy, UPDATED 11-1-13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JitsuSparty, 25 Aug 2012.

1. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

A very good point.

2. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

ok last post of the weekend (I'm an addict)

I aim to get the majority of the metal cut from the case by the end of this week, as well as the acrylic window finished and installed

Depending on how the chat with Kustom pc goes I may also have the materials I need to complete both sides of the case :)

so looks like it may be snowballing soon :) only thing I need to fully look into is the powdercoating - not sure if I will need to strip the case to bare metal or if the engineering firm will do it for me (they are a local firm - I believe in supporting local business where I can)

3. whatsthatnoise

whatsthatnoise What's a Dremel?

Normally, if you do something yourself, you don't have to pay for it if someone else has to do it. Given that you care for keeping costs down. ;)

4. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 3/9/12

So today I managed to start cutting the case:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am purposefully cutting slightly inside the lines - so I can finish it off nicely with a file/sandpaper later... as this is my first time cutting steel :)

Unfortunately it started getting late so only halfway through the cut - going to finish it off tomorrow hopefully :)

5. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 4/9/12

Sooooo good news and bad news...

firstly good news - took my other side panel to local engineers and they can laser cut it, I just have to strip the coating off the side so they can - which might take some time but we will see. Oh and then provide them with a .drg to use. note cad programs are great but can be a b***ch to draw in :)

anyway bad news - well you know I told you like 100 times to wear safety glasses. Well also make sure you know where you leave your tools - as exhibit A here shows
    [​IMG]

that was in my foot :( (I'm going for the sympathy vote here) so I am giving up for the evening - hopefully more tomorrow

oh and a big thank you and shout out to Graeme from Kustom PCs - who took the time to provide me with good advice on the custom decals I am looking to get done

6. Big_malc

Big_malc Minimodder

7. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I know this must have hurt but that's the funniest thing I've read all day! :D

8. adidan

What were you doing wearing ketchup bottles on your feet mate? ;)

9. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Lol - Do I win a prize ;)

Nope that's claret, only bit I intend to sacrifice to the PC case modding gods for now.

10. adidan

Maybe you should invest in a cricket box. :D

Sod it, the rate your going get fully kitted out like you're heading out onto the Oval. :lol:

11. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 5/9/12

So just bought the last few pieces of 'stuff' I need from Kustom PC, Graeme is a very patient man :).

hoping to get the side panel laser cut over weekend so spent last hour sanding the paint off the side so I can hopefully get it done over the weekend.

12. whatsthatnoise

whatsthatnoise What's a Dremel?

Stop cutting and hurting yourself - or your stuff - and show us more progress! :D

13. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Happy to oblige, this is the outcome of last night

[​IMG]

14. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya... You killed my father prepare to die!"

Epic film :rock: , and a great idea for a mod. (although a little dangerous.......)

15. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Looks like some nice cuts, but if you managed to get a hobby knife in your foot...

16. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 7/9/12

Ok so I gave my side panel to the people who will laser cut it today, hoping to get that done by end of weekend. I am at colours most of the weekend so that's all that will be done I think

Once that's done all I have left to do is:

1. Finish cutting 'hole' in side panel and file to size
    2. Cut acrylic window to size
    3. Put etch in window (straight)
    4. Measure and cut coloured acrylic
    5. engrave motif into acrylic
    6. Put Decal on acrylic
    7. Sort out fixing strip
    8. Airbrushing
    9. Powder Coating
    10. Rivet Case Together
    11. Simples

As you can see not much left :)

Last edited: 8 Sep 2012
  17. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update to update :)

ok so I spent 5 mins in sketch up to give a bit more of an idea to you all what is inside my head.

[​IMG]

This pic basically shows the colour I am going for the case as well as the side window. The main bulk of the case is going to be a silver bronze, with some parts (PSU/MOBO tray holder, mesh) white - so I can paint some stuff onto it :)

ayway I would appreciate any feedback (I reserve the right to ignore it) hopefully this case mod will be complete by end of September :)

Oh and here's a sneak peek of the goodies I got in the post today

[​IMG]

18. adidan

Cool JS, I do like bronzey type colours.

Not entirely sure how the white would work with it if I'm honest but then I have no idea how you're going to be painting them. :)

How's the case for stability BTW, I seem to recall the article in CPC saying it was a bit wobbly on it's feet. Anyway to sort that or is it not really an issue?

YEHBABY likes this.
  19. James'Mods

James'Mods Mad Man Modder

Very interesting color combination. The red acrylic will turn into a window panel? Good job modding so far. :thumb:

20. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

I'm planning on getting the case powder coated, including the white bits... but will be stepping back and seeing how it will look etc before forking out for that.

as regards to stability, when I had it assembled it wasn't too bad, the plastic 'feet/handles' were quite solid but if you push it/press on it they do flex. But I dont plan to use it as a beer stand :) (I currently use the lovely flat surface ontop of my antec 900 to rest beer - it has a fan it helps cool it :))

with regards to the 'rattling' issue raised in the review - I havent noticed it when they were on - but I haven't had a system running in it yet.

anyway that's my lunch break gone - only 4 days until Half Life Source will be here :)