1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress So Say We All - BitFenix Prodigy, UPDATED 11-1-13

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JitsuSparty, 25 Aug 2012.

1. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 10/9/12

So this evening I carried on with the cutting of parts, managed to tidy up the side panel some... might possibly need some acrylic polish, but will have to see when I finally take the protective coating off it.

[​IMG]

tomorrow I plan to finish cutting the edges and then start to sand the sides down

feel free to subscribe ;) (though I probably should of said that 4 pages ago)

Last edited: 10 Sep 2012
  2. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 12/9/12

So original idea was to get the case powder coated after I had done all the cutting, I wanted to do this so it would look sleek and be hard wearing. I went to my local powder coating shop, took part of the case - they tested it and said "we can coat that no problem",

I then said "how much would it cost?"

he replied "your looking at £100 if we have the colour in stock otherwise over a grand" :jawdrop:

So Plan B

I now plan to paint the case using, wait for it, car paint :)

First stage is to sand the paint off the case as it is - so I can start from base coating the bare metal for an even finish :)

I have borrowed a mouse sander from a mate and should be able to get sanding tomorrow :)

anyway as an update that is all

Thanks for listening :p

3. oliverr97

oliverr97 What's a Dremel?

Well i love the bitfenix, so good luck with the project.

4. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 15/9/12

Ok so this is a little big update. Firstly thanks to a mate at work I got a workbench now :) As mentioned before another mate leant me a mouse sander, so I thought I would crack on with the window side of the case.

[​IMG]

(BBQ is from last weekend :))

The acrylic panel was rough cut, so I put it in the bench and started working on it. I started off trying to sand it by hand with a piece of coarse sandpaper - this gave an uneven and 'scratchy' finish.

So I started 'scrapping' it with a knife blade:

[​IMG]

this worked well - and gave a good finish, however I decided I would use the sander to 'polish' the edges. As I used the sander I made sure I wasn't applying pressure downwards so it was just lightly sanding it and not eating away material.

Also you might notice in the picture there is a piece of wood between the jaws and the acrylic - this was to provide a straight edge to scrape/sand against

I'm quite happy with the result:

[​IMG]

There's a slight scratch in the window though - don't think you can see it in the picture, but if anyone can give any tips on 'buffing' it out I'm all ears.

Secondly I have to say I have some great mates, remember I started cutting the side panel a few weeks ago? Well the mate I was doing it with said he would finish it off for me - I owe him a few beers. Anyway here's the result:

[​IMG]

It's going well so far and I am not going to jinx it by saying how far I want to get this weekend

5. Epiales74

Epiales74 What's a Dremel?

Looking good so far i have never seen a BSG mod before so im subbed :thumb:

6. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

why thank you - its starting to all come together nicely now :)

7. rchiileea

rchiileea Minimodder

keep up the work watching this, fan of small cases

8. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 20/9/12

Sorry all for the lack of progress with this - currently being held up by resource availability (£) and waiting for side panel to come back from laser cutters.

Just in case anyone was thinking this had died - It's alllllliiiveeeeeee

9. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Last edited: 25 Sep 2012
  10. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Update 29/9/2012

Thought it was about time I did an update (thought Im feeling like you dont love me :p)

I've found I have hit a proverbial brick wall, seems modding isnt all action and plain sailing - am currently getting frustrated with the lack of progress due to several factors:

Firstly I cant move on without getting both side panels back - as this will be the point I can make final measurements and (hopefully) get the case painted.

secondly sh**e weather here - I am modding in my house so my work area is my lounge and garden... I have a load of sanding to do and am finding it easier/cleaner to do it outside.

(updated update) - I have one side panel back - and am working on sanding and filing it to size - I will put up a pic tomorrow I promise :)

anyway the plan is to put a watercooling loop into this and as such this is my idea for the loop and fans

[​IMG]

11. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

UPDATE 4-11-12

At last I have laser cut side panel !!!!!!!

[​IMG]

All the guy charged me to do it was some beer - I think he was expecting a bottle and was shocked when I gave him 4 cans of London Pride :)

Anyway this means I can start moving on with my mod :)

I started cutting out the piece of acrylic to go in the 'hole'... then found that with the rubber mounting I bought the hole in the middle is too small... so will have to see what I can find that is thinner

anyway - I hope to get a fair bit more done over the weekend :) Yay !!!

12. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

This ISN'T dead!!!!!!!!!

sorry updates will be slower as I am waiting to get it powdercoated and am in germany this weekend for first holiday of the year

in a vain attempt to get interest going please feel free to comment with ideas on what I could put in it when it is done :)

13. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Ok - sorry to anyone who thinks this died, basically been off the radar for a while (mainly due to work/£ issues)

this should start moving forward again soon so please get re interested

14. kelvinb

kelvinb BF3 Username - D0rmarth

dont worry we are still here, im currently doing a BitFenix Survivor mod so im very interested in what you are doing here.

I finding things the same as you waiting for the panel to be done, lack of money this modding life is a hard one !!

15. kelvinb

P.s with your top rad i would go with a push pull config :)

16. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

:) thanks, to be honest I nearly wrote this off... but a few mates pushed me on (and theres a £5 bet at stake)

I wont be doing anything for a couple of weeks - but I aim to get the modding of the case done by christmas, powder coating in new year... and then look at putting stuff in it

17. kelvinb

There are some great guides on painting I would have a quick search around the forums but im sure another member can point you in the right direction.

18. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

What the frack is going on?! A new BSG themed case!:clap:

19. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

:) hope you like it - I will have it done in the future... might have to watch BSG again though in the mean time

20. JitsuSparty

JitsuSparty Minimodder

Necro time, :)

So I have had a few set backs in the past few months - I won't be watercooling the rig now :( and I am not sure what colour it will end up being powder coated... During Dec had a few issues that meant my funds and will to continue kinda tailed off - Sorry guys.

However, I have started purchasing pieces to go into it to motivate me :) currently I have:

A silverstone strider fully modular 650W PSU
    Gigabyte Z77N-WiFi mobo
    i5 3750K ivybridge processor (in the mail)

Basically I am now looking for a cooler, I have been looking at the all in 1 hydro coolers from corsair and want to know if anyone has one and whats it like. Or I am looking for an aircooler - but not sure due to clearances on the mobo - again suggestions appreciated.

Anyway again sorry if it looked like this had died, I am planning on getting it finished by Feb :)