1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi The World Of Tanks thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by octoberfest, 17 Feb 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Hmm - I dunno, I've found that the long-barelled 105mm on the Tiger II seems to bounce a lot - plus it's significantly less accurate than the long-barelled 88mm. Given the five found ammo cost increase of the 105mm I'm seriously considering 'downgrading' back to the 88mm.

2. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I agree with Lizard - in my Panther I'd rather take on a Tiger II than the IS-3. Tiger IIs seem to take more damage from my gun, and shots bounce less.

3. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

The Tiger II seems to massively depend on which turret its got - because the turret is so big its easy to hit. The stock one is really squishy, the upgraded one is fairly tough. The IS-3 is overalll harder to kill because of its shape, but if you hit the hatch on the front everything breaks :(

I've got both, so I'm trying to consider it objectively :).

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Just to wade in on this one I wouldn't hesitate to smash at an IS3 over a Tiger 2. The Tiger's long 105mm might be slightly less accurate than the long 88mm, but the rate of damage it provides is excellent, and the penetration power is great.

The IS3, even with the waffle-braked D-25, isn't a match for the front turret/hull armour of the Tiger 2, not to mention armour protection of the IS3 being rather poor at anything other than extreme range. If you get a faster, more manoeuvrable tank in on an IS3 at close range you can do huge damage because the side armour is so weak, guaranteed penetration for just about any 75+mm gun, and if you can fluster the IS3 pilot he'll miss and suffer with the huge reload times from the big gun while you pummel away with a fast-loading smaller gun.

p.s. I know I'm late, but I've been busy! :p

5. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

The D-25 isnt the big gun on an IS-3 though, the BL-9 is, and with it I've taken many a king tiger head on - the BL-9 will cut straight through any part of the armor, even the front turret armor on the upgraded turret.

6. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

With so many people complaining about the devs deliberately making the Russian tanks better than the equivalent tier US\German vehicle I've been using my free XP to zoom up the Russian heavy tree the last week or so.

You know what though. Even though on paper the Russian tanks have uber armour, I've found them incredibly frustrating to play. The KV in particular is a sitting duck, and even its lauded 107mm gun is a waste of steel and cordite.

The problem (if my experience) is that the Russian heavies have such ridiculous short view ranges and their guns can't hit the side of a barn door. As a result you're constantly getting pecked to death by other tanks.

As a result I think I'm going to continue researching the VK4502 and use my next batch of free XP to unlock the German TD line.

7. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

The russian heavies come to life when you get the IS, especially when you get the 122mm guns on it. The IS basically handles like a medium, but with a lower top speed and more firepower. Its a very versatile tank.

8. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

The World of Tanks devs just released this Happy Christmas video :D

9. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Were Rudolf?
    And why is Santa an artillery whore, he's man enough for an is-7.

10. Krikkit

You're right about the gun number, I'm still living in the past. Not so sure about the rest of it though, I've run into a great deal of trouble with KT's and that gun, it'll penetrate the front turret around the gun mantlet, but the sloped front armour makes it a PITA for everything but an advantageous slope.

11. robump

robump Minimodder

Just thought i would contribute to this thread as a bit of a noob on wot, i have just got the panzer 3 and love it!! But im so tempted to stop on the german side and move to the russians as everyone says the IS's are so much better than the tigers.

12. G0UDG

G0UDG helping others costs nothing

I currently have the matilda and have enough to get any of the is tanks or the maus or evn the t30 I want to buy the t30 but am not sure how ive tried researching it but nothing happens when i click on the convert button to research the vehicle or any iother vehicles for that matter what am i doing wrong Im a complete noob when it comes to using wot for buying/research heeeelllpppppp pleeeaaasssseeeee:duh:

13. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

Was wondering if there was a thread about this.

Am also a noob, only started playing yesterday. Currently have a fully researched T-46, BT-2 and currently working on the BT-7 to get the A-20.

I was alright with the BT-2 since it grouped me with other T1/2 tanks, either Light, TDs or Arts. However playing with the BT-7 and T-46 has landed me with T3/4/5, constantly being at the bottom and having hardly anything to shoot at since they're mostly Meds/Heavies. Generally my current playstyle is to suicide run and hopefully transmit as many people's location for the Arties to bombard.

14. Krikkit

A-20 and BT-7 are both scout tanks. With the T1/2 tanks you can ignore their assignments because they're all tiny hp so you can slug it out. Once you get with the big boys the roles become crucial.

For tiny fast tanks just blast through spotting as many people as possible and try attacking the arties if you get that far, everything else is beyond you. :p

Goudg what do you have lots of at the moment? You need XP to unlock things and credits to buy things for your garage. Everyone has a shedload of gold 'cause they've been giving it away over xmas.

15. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Applied for a Beta Key for this game. How long do you have to wait?

16. vdbswong

vdbswong It's a Hedgehod

I got mine over at Shattered Crystal and it was instant.

Also comes with a free "Valentine" tank... apparently all it's good for is selling and getting 200k Credits to spend on equipment.

17. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Yeah, I got it from Shattered Crystal, but it came with two keys, I used the first key. And I tried the Valentine Tank in the promo section and it wouldn't let me.

18. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

was there a recent nerf on XP and credits? i have been getting ****-all for battles lately. its actually costing me to play my IS now.

i dont claim to be the best tank commander, but i could at least pay for my repairs in the IS before, and getting 2-300 XP per battle is just pointless.

19. Xen0phobiak

Xen0phobiak SMEGHEADS!

XP and credits havent been nerfed. Balances on individual tanks have been tweaked. Is your IS fully upgraded with the D-25T? Do you have any equipment on it? Do you play it aggressively?

20. Wicked_Sludge

Wicked_Sludge My eyes! The goggles do nothing!

im not fully upgraded as i havnt had the tank that long. im using the d10t 100mm with slightly better penetration and a much better firing rate. derp cannons arent fun for me. i play aggressively enough without being suicidal. its an IS after all and im usually up against better equipped vehicles.

but regardless of my equipment or play style...those havnt changed, and i USED to be able to make money (quite a bit usually) with the IS, even when i did poorly. and i rarely saw less than 500XP per round. i didnt play for a couple weeks, and now the last few days it just seems broken.

im not sure how much longer i can put up with the grinding in this game :wallbash: