1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Who is still using a CRT?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGreatSatan, 6 Oct 2011.

1. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I remember buying a svideo cable for my A2000.

2. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

I'm always amazed at how little (nothing generally) good CRT tv's are worth now.

There's often an 'ultra flat' 32" CRT on sites like freecycle and freegle in my area, hell I ave mine away around 4 years ago.

Dude111 likes this.
  3. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Upstairs PC is using a 17" Compaq CRT monitor.

Dude111 likes this.
  4. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I've still got twin 17" crt's in the study, but it's been years since i've used both together.

We usually just use the laptop or iphone or nokia, which are all lcd. My boy might use the study pc once a week with a single 17" crt - I swapped them a couple of years ago, so afaik, both CRT's still work beautifully, but I wouldn't be surprised if my boy is asking me for a big lcd before the crt's finally die... you kids these days are sooo spoiled I tells ya!

Dude111 likes this.
  5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

I ditched my last CRT in 2005.

6. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

:clap: Yes I am still old way. Hitachi CM615 as my main and only viewing pleasure. :lol:

JVC - AV32050 as main TV

Hopefully by the end of the month, I can pack up the Hitachi when my new build is finished. Then I'll use a Samsung F2380 :clap:

7. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Still using a CRT TV at the moment if that counts. Not that big, but it was free and I haven't got money for a new one yet.

Dude111 likes this.
  8. SuicideNeil

SuicideNeil What's a Dremel?

Speaking of Trinitrons actually, my nan gave me her old 32" unit with matching stand a few years ago when they upgraded to something LCD and easier to position in their living room; nearly killed my Dad & I when we carried it up the stairs to my flat ( easily 30-40kgs and a nearly a meter square ). Gave it to my mum a while back as her tv blew up and I didn't really need it ( living room is now my flatmates bedroom ); feels kinda crazy considering these things were worth nearly a grand only ~ten years ago...

9. ulfar

ulfar holy s**t, i can change this?

so i'm among the very (very) few who use a crt for my main (and only) pc. wow.
    17" syncmaster, 60 Hz technology!
    it's funny though, running at 1440x90 with no colour issues, i can't complain... apart from the size, both inch-wise and depth-wise, the noise it makes when i open a page consisting of mostly white (thank you bit-tech for your colour scheme), all the clicking sounds it makes once it's gotten warm, the shame it brings me everytime one of my friends (read friend) comes over.
    yep, i'm totally satisfied... totally
    [​IMG]

10. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Still use, collect, beg, borrow, steal and horde CRT's at every chance I get.

I've got 2 in the study and 4 old 17"ers stashed in the garage.
    I'll gladly chuck 'em when someone designs a flat screen I can use.

11. Xir

Xir Modder

my parents use a 17" CRT daily.
    I have a 15" one as a backup (as my first flatscreen wouldn't display BIOS over DVI)

Oh...and of course I have a 14" hercules-monochrome one to go with the vintage Commodore PC1 stashed somewhere :D

12. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

You can't use a flatscreen? Is it a colour blind thing?

I have no CRT's and have never owned one.

And my backups are currently a 24" parkard bell branded proview, a 17" samsung syncmaster and a phillips 19".

Currently using a iiyama 27" and a dell 19".

Whenever I go to the I-series I still see people using CRT's because of their response time for CS:S tourney's and still laugh at them.

Last edited: 7 Oct 2011
  13. sicone

sicone What's a Dremel?

Currently using a 19" CRT as my primary monitor and a 17" crt as my secondary monitor on my main computer. I did have 2 17's but when 1 died I was given a 19 to replace it (that was about 5 years ago and I haven't needed to replace them yet).

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

My brother still has his 28" Sony Widescreen CRT in his living room, which amazes me - it weighs 50kg (no joke) and I remember carrying it into the car when we bought it from Comet :D

The last time I had a CRT was in 2006 when I bought my first LCD monitor.

15. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Nope, I'm intolerant to polarized light, and they all use polarized filters in front of the display.:(

Small displays ( phones & sat navs) are ok due to the amount of natural light compared to the polarized from the screen, but 10 minutes in front of a flat monitor will put me out of action for the day, takes about an hour for a big telly to kick in, depending on light levels and how far away I sit.

16. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

Wow never heard of that before. Must be a really sucky condition.How exactly does that work?
    What would happen if you walked into an electronic store TV section?

17. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I switched from CRT to LCD in 2009. I would never have switched if it weren't for my 120hz Samsung.

Actually, I had already made the switch a few months prior but I wanted to F*CKING DESTROY the LCD because it was a POS 60hz Asus crap and it made my eyes bleed while gaming.

Once in a while I plug my good old Viewsonic P95F+ and it still feels more fluid than my 120hz does, despite running at 100hz. The colors are also better but the resolution is too low and the image is quite blurry. Oh and the CRT was 52lb ... So yeah, I'm happy with my current monitor and wouldn't change it for anything

18. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

has a crt monitor upstairs ..the quality of pic is so much nicer .. shame it takes up a whole desk mind you

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Imagine having a nerf dart stuck to your eyeball, just the one, grab the dart and try and rotate your eye 180 degrees so your looking through the back of your head, followed by a days worth of headache :(

Why would I go into a tv shop, I've still got a 30" 4:3 Toshiba that's 15 odd years old and working just dandy.:clap:

20. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Wow, 3d must really be out of the question then. Not that you are missing anything pant-wetting.