1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Who is still using a CRT?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGreatSatan, 6 Oct 2011.

1. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

While on this topic I've got a CRT problem.
    Basically my triniton TV has so much reflection of the screen if its not overcast/night then you need to close the curtains or ramp up the brightness to insane levels. Suggestions?

2. Nedsbeds

Nedsbeds Badger, Slime, Weasel!!

My family are almost exclusively still running 21" Sony Trinitron cpd e530s.

These were refurbished units we picked up for about £220 a pop years ago.
    Also got a 22" lacie job which is even nicer to use than the sonys

They still put my IPS panels at work to shame, and calibrate a lot more easily (bung the spider on it every month or two). Will be a sad day when they start to die :(

3. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Wow. This is a bigger epidemic than I thought.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Get a TFT :p

I'm only half-joking. CRT TVs are basically awful, and only worth keeping if they're absolutely perfect for you. If they start kicking up any problems or not meeting your needs, it's more cost-efficient to just buy an affordable LCD TV than trying to find solutions. The increase in resolution and sharpness alone will make it seem like a gargantuan leap forward.

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I have two 21" dell workstation monitors I picked up almost new for $60. -Very easy on the eyes, and replacing them would involve lifting.:worried:

6. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Not that I can find. I'm looking for .23 pixel pitch or lower, native resolution at least 2300x1440, IT must colour match at least as well as the dell u2410, It must not lag playing games (both the benq and the dell lag) It must have a viewing angle of at least 170 degrees.

I haven't been able to find one and no one on bit tech has come up with a better choice than the Dell and again I am unimpressed with the Dell its an ok screen but not great!

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

EIZO FlexScan SX2762W, 27" 2560x1440, 178°/178°, H-IPS, 0.23 pitch, sRGB 97% .... 1500€

8. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

My understanding is that it would lag worse than either the dell or the Benq?

9. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Loads of high end screens can match that spec easily... except for one thing... the whole pixel response speed thing... more on that below.

The above Eizo SX2762W is a brilliant monitor. Has 0.23mm pitch, and amazing quality. Dot pitch on TFTs is not as noticable as on a CRT however, and a 0.23mm pitch on a TFT looks absolutely seemless as if it's a glowing piece of paper. Even the larger version of that screen I'm running here (SX3031W) with a 0.25mm pitch is the same. I can't see pixels unless I'm only a couple of inches from it... and why would you sit a couple of inches from a 30" screen?

As for colour matching... the U2410 is very good, but don't think it's a benchmark standard or anything. This SX3031W can match it in terms of Delta E with ease, but in addition can precisely hit targeted gamma, temperature and luminance levels, time after time, no matter if I use X-rite software and a DTP94, or my Blue Eye Pro set up like below.

[​IMG]

It hits those targets consistently, and what's more, wasn't far of these values straight out of the box, which is something the U2410 or U2711 or U3011 can not ever hope of doing. Even the "factory calibrated" presets are way off in comparison.

The SX2762W will be every bit as good as my SX30301W, but also has 0.23mm pitch.... but loses vertical res against the 30" version. The 27" however, has a IPS screen, whereas this 3031W is S-PVA. Each have their advantages, but don't think you need IPS for colour accuracy. The above report on a S-PVA pretty much proves that.

Fork out even more for the ColoEdge series or the NEC Spectraview series screens and quality goes up a slight step again... but you're well into the realms of diminishing returns there.

What you WILL find hard to find though, is one with this kind of quality, and low latency times, as designing a screen for low lag and fast pixel response by definition means a TN screen.

How do you define lag though? Input response or pixel response? Even this Eizo that is designed for one purpose only.... Image Quality... can still game without any noticeable input lag. What it does make noticeable though, is slight blurring if the image on fast horizontal pans etc. If you want to avoid that, then a fast TN 27" panel would be where you need to look because almost all VA and IPS panels will exhibit this, but with TN you then lose so much image quality and accuracy, and viewing angle that it's not worth it.

Despite the drawback though... I couldn't ever go back to blurry, flickery CRT.. even if you paid me, and my last CRT was a LaCie 321.

No one is more conscious of image quality than me, and I resisted TFTs until the technology was mature. CRTs still have a clear advantage in response times, viewing angle, and in depicting movement... but that's it. In every other respect a high quality TFT wins easily, INCLUDING colour accuracy. I never got accuracy like this Eizo from my old LaCie CRT, and that thing costed a fortune when it was new!

Last edited: 11 Oct 2011
  10. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

One drawback so obvious that it hasn't really been talked about, of course, is cost. Comparable TFTs cost legendarily more than the relevant CRTs, which people are happy to give away these days, even the good ones.

11. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Can't really argue with that.. although it's a dead end solution as these supplies will dry up. Plus, old CRTs will not be performing as well as they did when new, so it's a bit of a crap shoot as to how good it will be.

12. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

And thats my problem, that blurring is unacceptable to me, The Benq can't even cope with some movie scenes! I find it very annoying and after an hour or so it gives me a headache

I've settled on the u2410 as the best compromise after getting lots of advice from Goodbytes who was kind enough to explain flat screens in detail but I'm still looking for a good new crt while I save up

13. AmEv

AmEv Meow meow. See yall in 2-ish years!

Well.

Feels like I am alone as running DUAL primary CRTs as my monitors.

I simply cannot afford new LCDs.
    Neither can my parents.

14. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

A freind of mine still uses two massive CRTs. His hair is starting to go grey from the front backwards, I always tell him it's from the amount of radiation those CRTs are kicking out.

(from what I've read, being sat in front of two CRTs for 18 odd hours a day is the equivalent of one arm X-ray per year, ie, not much)

Round here CRT's are less than worthless, just because they're a pain in the arse to dispose of, I've actually ended up giving away small LCDs because it wasn't worth selling them (although the friend mentioned above turned it down because he's a stubborn git)

Last edited: 20 Oct 2011
  15. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I wouldn't turn down a Sony 14 inch CRT if I was offered one thats for sure, it might break my back but it would be so worth the effort.

Dude111 likes this.
  16. OversizeZantos

OversizeZantos What's a Dremel?

just thrown my old unbranded 14"crt out in preparation for my new build (was using it as a 2nd monitor), end of an era

17. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Have a 19" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 91TXM.

18. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Sure do.......

CRTs are better.. Always have been ALWAYS WILL BE..... (Also have a CRT tv)

19. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Still have a CRT TV here.

I've been waiting (wanting) it to die for years and she just keeps on going...

20. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

I've got one in a cupboard, but my Dell ultra sharp widescreen is in a totally different league.