1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Who is still using a CRT?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheGreatSatan, 6 Oct 2011.

1. Yariko

Yariko What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Few times tested 3D but really didn't make me understand all the hype around it

:| Sad to hear, how about projectors, can you use/watch 'em?

2. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

3D is totally wasted on films, films really don't need to be 3D. Unless they're brainless CGI-vehicles like Emmerich and Bay films, 3D doesn't add anything to their purpose or the audience's enjoyment.

Video games, on the other hand - well, they're PERFECT for 3D. Hell, they are natively 3D until your graphics card squashes it into 2D for the benefit of your monitor. Once I have the money and the tech has improved a bit, I'm definitely trying Nvidia's 3D thingy.

On-topic, our TV is still CRT, but only because, with 4 computers in the house, we very rarely watch it.

I have heard some image editing geeks defending high-end CRT monitors, though, because apparently they can have much better contrast, black and colour reproduction than TFTs. That might no longer be true though, TFTs are coming along in leaps and bounds.

3. Blazza181

Blazza181 SVM PLACENTA CASEI

All PCs in my house use CRT monitors. :rock:

Dude111 likes this.
  4. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

All of the monitors on my PCs these days are LCD, but I do still have two CRTs hiding in the store - one a 17" and one a massive 19". These formed my dual monitor setup for the first 3 or 4 years after I got my first computer. All the family PCs before that had CRTs as well obviously. The 19" Gateway that I used as my primary for so long is a fantastic monitor. I haven't been able to bring myself to throw it away primarily because it's a brilliant monitor and I am sure it'll come in handy some day, but also because it was my first monitor, and the one that I used to spend hours in front of - watching films, gaming, web surfing etc etc. It's a part of my history with computers :)

TFTs at the upper end of the scale have been better than even the best CRTs for years now. There's really no merit to the generalised statement that CRTs are better than TFTs any more - LCD technology has come an incredibly long way since the introduction of the first TFT monitors.

As well as the two CRTs, I also still have an old Macintosh Performa 5200 which has a 15" (or possibly smaller) CRT in it.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2011
  5. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Never tried them.

6. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Took a lod of CRT's recently down for recycling, they all worked fine, just didn't need them, pitty really there was some blindingly good ones in that lot.

7. unknowngamer

unknowngamer here

We use them at work (school) 'cos they are bomb proof.

I've seen lcd's at another school with pens through them and all sorts.

For robustness ie "take a punch" crt's rule

8. braincake

braincake What's a Dremel?

my schools till uses entirely crt monitors, which is a shame cos the flashing of the monitors next to me gives me a massive headache in half hour flat

9. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Just had to replace my CRT and am really missing it, Couldn't find a flat screen that could match the resolution,clarity,colour accuracy or speed.

I know flat screens take up less space and use less power but a monitors primary purpose is to display an image.

Dude111 likes this.
  10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

Nah, I've punched two crt monitors to death. The monitor I have upstairs now is the replacement of a replacement.

11. Unicorn

Which CRT did you have?

I'm finishing some restoration work on that old Macintosh Performa machine I mentioned earlier in the thread. I'd like to see it going again. Will bring back some memories! :)

12. TheGreatSatan

TheGreatSatan Member for 17 years!

Maybe you should try a Dell Ultra Sharp

13. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

crt's can look lovely

(just saying - black levels etc)

14. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 all flowers in time bend towards the sun

Using 2 CRT's right now!

One improbably tiny silver one and a larger beige one (that has a stripe running upwards every ~45 seconds). Both old as **** but they still do the job pretty fine... :/

Dude111 likes this.
  15. unikey

unikey What's a Dremel?

Currently have a BenQ G2222HDL and following Goodbytes recommendation I'm saving for a DELL U2410 but having looked at it, they aren't close to my old Sony CRT. :(

16. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

The higher-end Dell monitors are a really, really safe bet. The U2410 has had songs of praise and worship written about it. I'm sure you'll adjust with time :)

17. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

You must be using some pretty crappy TFT screens. Sharpness is one of the main advantages of TFTs.

18. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I used to love CRT monitors - Mainly as every one I owned, alot of my friends would draw on (sharpie addict) so all my monitors became pieces of artwork. I used to pass on monitors when they were "full" and pick up new ones from computer auctions and shows, a couple of years ago they were always £10-£20 for 17"-19", so I kind of miss that in a way. Same way as I miss actual mix tapes.

Dude111 likes this.
  19. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Was still using a CRT in work before I left for uni. Nice 19" IIyama Vision Master Pro. Pixel density was quite small at 1600x1200, took a little to get used to, but was nice to use.

A few years ago when I was living with a couple of mates, we picked up an old 42" crt monitor. Not quite sure what it was made for, as it wasn't a tv as it had no scart input, but it did have d-sub. Think it was made by Sony. That thing was insanely big, must have been well over a metre deep, and took four struggling people to move it. Barely fit in the back of a car with the seats down. We had an x-box hooked up to it for a while, then we realised it was just nuts and pawned it off to a friend.

20. Unicorn

That's the sort of size public events displays were in the late 90's and early 00's - I remember seeing 40"+ tube monitors mounted in the wall at a local shopping centre after a major rennovation and thinking they were incredible. The Odyssey arena in Belfast still has some large CRT arrays in the pavillion, but I haven't seen them switched on in years. They're 4:3 20" or 22" CRTs, stacked 2 wide and 5 high as far as I can remember. I walk past them every weekend and never pay them much attention really :p I'd love to use them to display our fixed shot of the scoreboard from the arena on game night... I'm sure they still work, they're just old and obviously nobody has any imagination in trying to think of something to use them for.