1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Skyscraper

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by slipperyskip, 1 Jul 2007.

1. TapperSwe

TapperSwe What's a Dremel?

I already knew when i started to follow this one that it would turn out perfect, and it did. Nice and tight hardware fit as always :rock: congrats.

2. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks TapperSwe! It was important to me to keep the depth as shallow as possible. I wanted it to be a mantle piece.

3. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

The end result is very nice! I like the look a lot, especially how you incorporated the three buttons.

4. mrmagoo_83

mrmagoo_83 What's a Dremel?

That thing looks amazing. Can't let my wife see this thread or she will have me trying to build one.

5. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks jokkos!

So build her one! It really was cheap, materials wise. It works just fine with a five-year old VIA mini-ITX board I used for testing. I'm thinking $500-600 dollars...tops. The plans are free of charge. :hehe:

What's your wife's e-mail address? ;)

6. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Wow, done already? You must have a lot of spare time to mod. :p Nevertheless, the end result is amazing. I love self-contained units. The only thing that maybe would have made this more user friendly is a touch screen, but those can get pretty expensive.

I like the front three buttons. Do they do anything, or are they just decorative?

Again, great job! :thumb:

7. Supra55

Supra55 What's a Dremel?

What a beauty :blush:

8. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Minimodder

As always it looks kick ass.
    Much better then the crappy digital frames you can buy.
    Absolutely awesome man.
    Well done.
    I might sound like a broken record but it really is great work!

9. B[x]

B[x] What's a Dremel?

I'm a big fan of the lighter accent pieces on the front, they're a nice touch.

Any plans for future projects?

10. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Bod! I'm retired so I do have a lot of time. Touch screen was way beyond my budget.

The buttons are not functional. The real buttons are inside because they only control brightness, contrast, stuff like that. I don't ever adjust that kind of stuff once it is set. They are four thumb screws away if I have to.

I needed something shiny for the front (see work log) and I struggled with it. I don't like fake things but the buttons did fulfill my requirement and they certainly don't look out of place.

Thanks dude!

Thanks for that. I think you are right about commercial picture frames. They seem to be all the same.

Ha! I could write a short novel about the accent pieces. I'm glad you like them....really.

This project is my 21st since I started "this thing we do" 5 year's ago. Yes...twenty-one. Eighteen of them are on my website.

At this point I probably can't stop. :dremel:

11. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Thats a very impressive collection! I especially like the "The DECOmputer".
    Have you posted some of these on the 'mini-itx' webpage as i swear i have seen some of these beauties before.

Cyp.

12. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

The DECOmputer was a good one for me. Thanks.

I started out on mini-ITX.com (a British site BTW) before I had my own site. I have five or six projects posted there.

The most popular mod on my site, based on web traffic, is the PSU-PC. It is over four years old and still generates massive traffic!

13. exitus

exitus What's a Dremel?

That's one very nice mod. Looks like Art Deco. I like Art Deco just as much as i like swing music. All in all: i like it :)

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks! I think of swingtime being more like the fourties...maybe late thirties...I don't know.

If photos start dropping out in this thread it's because Gizmodo is currently pounding my website.

Gizmodo

15. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

In response to an excellent Gizmodo comment I have included the following "size comparison" photo:

[​IMG]

And just for the record, This bit-tech project log is the only Skyscraper project log on the Internet except for my own condensed web site version.

Cheers!

16. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

it looks great slippery.
    really nice job. even my wife thinks it very nice
    and she on of those people that thinks a pc is a pc
    like any other pc.
    i cant wait to see your next creation.

17. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks man!

You guys need to get your wives signed up and voting. lol

18. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

I first saw your work on mini-itx years ago and what a pleasant surprise to see you're on bit-tech now. Loving the art deco style of this mod.

19. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Thanks Man! I've actually been around here for quite some time (please refer to join date) lol. I've had a first page spot in bit-tech's case gallery thread for some time also.

My website broke some traffic records on Saturday when Stumbleupon, Reddit, and Boing Boing featured the Skyscraper project.

Last edited: 6 Aug 2007
  20. jl8080

jl8080 What's a Dremel?

This is absolutely fantastic! The one thing that concerns me is how much this would cost to run. Still, a very good project well executed and the final product is outstanding!