1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Bad Apple - My G5 Casemod

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by MrBean, 1 Oct 2006.

1. Angleus

Angleus What's a Dremel?

That is sooo cool (the Commell)

2. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

wow the Commell is sweet...

...but the work on that sheet in the case is very nice as well...

:thumb:

3. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Thanx Guys :)

I too luv the little Commell, it just does it for me - lol

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

:idea: Put the Commel system into the bays, leave the rest of the case empty, and proudly show off your new computer :hehe:

5. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

:)

Good idea, never thought of that - just imagine the little ls-372 mounted on the massive mobo-tray I have in this G5?

Hehe

6. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

Very nice work MrBean! I have always loved the look of the G5 cases - I see the potential but lack the desire to do anything productive.

Oh BTW I have been watching since your first post on this and it is looking better than I expected. Keep up the good work.

7. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Thanx for the feedback and inspiration, guys, it's appreciated :)

Awaiting my final radiator to be used in this install, the MCP220-QP-res, with build-in reservoir - will make for a very decent compact minimalist watercooling setup with the Apogee-drive system - just what the doctor ordered.

Will most likely receive the rad tonight :)

Then final setting up of the watercooling loop can begin.

8. bustamove

bustamove A Dremel is a wotsit.

Wow, This Mod has pure taken my breath away. Your attention to detail is an inspiration! I just bought one of these cases [g5] also a 'mac pro case'
    I have no idea what I will do with them yet, they are on route as I type.
    You have really taken your time with this, I can see this is a real labour of love.

One word. I'm inspired. [ok thats two but you know what I mean.]

9. Cyprio

Cyprio G5 Supermodder

Really glad to see you still working on this Mr Bean.

I love the way you have kept things so clean and also kept the door mechanism usable. :)

There do seem to be a fair few G5s now on the forums. ;)

Cyp.

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I picked up 3 G5 cases in the last week. These are some serious aluminum but really are too fragile. Drop one and bend the legs/handles and $400 for a new case from Apple. Great work on this MrBean.
    John

11. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hey Guys,
    Thanx for the kind words, the project is sailing along - my brother needed my radiator, just as well, as I got him to buy me the Swiftech MCP220-Reservoir version, nice, small and compact 2x120, and still fits in even though I had to drop the psu tray to make room for the 1kW PC P&C PSU....

So, more to come, need to sort out the tubing for the watercooling, damn, I am so close now.....

Still considering to somehow use my 2x 146k SAS drives, with the Perc 5i Raid controller in this mod, but maybe keep it for the Xtreme gaming setup I am planning next....

12. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I love this mod! (ofcourse I will... he he ) But throw everything you got into it, and make THIS your Xtreme gaming rig! ;)
    It deserves it! :)

13. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hehe - you're twisting my arm there, Angel_OD :)

14. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

Wow, that thing looks so nice (both the G5 and mini-me)!

I'd like to get a harddrive box like the one you used; do you know the name of it and how much it cost? I'm assuming you got it at Pantip Plaza, but that thing is so huge. Can you tell me where exactly the shop is? I'm in Chiang Mai right now, but will be going to Bangkok in a few weeks.

15. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

Hey, Mr. Bean, how's it goin? Could you give me the info on that drive box?

16. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

Well... That was actually what I wanted to! ;)
    And I'll twist the other one, if you don't act like a good boy, and do what I say! :lol:

And how far are you on the next update? :) *waiting and drooling* :D

17. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Well, after much deliberation, and careful consideration, I decided to heed the words of our very own Angel :)

This is what I will receive Monday morning (19/05/08) - order placed, and payed for:

[​IMG]

I had to wait a fair while for the proper motherboard to do this mod justice - well, finally it's here. Yes. it's overkill, I know, but it's not called Project Bad Apple for nothing :)

With this setup will go 2x E5430 Xeons, and 8gig of FB-Dimms - 4x 2gig config to realize full potential. The cpu's are 2.66gig units, 1333fsb - memory will be DDR2-800 speeds, and board will be running 1600fsb - hence at the default 8x multi, chips will be cosily potting along at 3.2gig, slightly overclocked.

I already have 2x HP SAS harddrives, and just received my HP ML370 G5 Server hot-plug 8x HD cage too.....look out for some real progress in the very near future.

I will post detailed pics on Monday night.

edit: Sometimes these type of mods take a lot of time, and, as was the case here, I did have no option than to wait for the proper hardware.

I will still be stuffed for a while without the GFX, as I am planning getting 1 of Nvidia's new 280's being released mid June. Well, I will finish this, guys, just be patient with me.

My plan was always to make something special of this one, and seeing there's quite a few very good examples out there now, ie Angel OD and Cyprio, I have to just go that extra mile :)

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Whoah! The internals are going to cook! Even if it takes a few years to finish, this will still be a hot system.:D

19. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

It should be a decent system, and I need to finish it asap, as my media PC is currently doing service as my daily rig.

Let's see how it goes once it's up and running, should be a screamer :)

20. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Hello Everyone,
    Just some quick input - do anyone know where I can get a power distribution block, that will accept std SATA power cable input, and give me the option of gnd/3.3v/5v/12v output via a little distribution block?

Similar to the ones you get where you plug one std molex into, yet have various fan connections, 4-pin power connections etc out?

Will appreciate.

Kind regards,
    Beanie.