1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Rogue (NZXT Rogue SFF) It lives! Aug 13, '08

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by craigbru, 28 Feb 2008.

1. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Sorry for the lack of updates guys! I've been pretty busy lately...

I've been getting ready to put this pile of 2x4's...

[​IMG]

In to this basement...

[​IMG]

I've only got around 3 weeks before my fiance and her son move in. I've got two bedrooms, and a family room to finish down there! Obviously this has taken away from my computer modding time a little. I guess I've been house modding too!

As far as the Rogue goes, work is still continuing, albeit a little slower than before.

So, how about a little front door work? Here, I've just finished drilling the hole for the Griffin Powermate.

[​IMG]

All cleaned up.

[​IMG]

Now for the knob. As luck would have it, part of the original Powermate's internals, happen to be perfect for the job. I just had to fill the pocket with a little JB Weld, and sand it down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A fresh coat of the black metallic, and it's ready to go.

[​IMG]

Now, I've got to switch directions momentarily. In order for me to finish wiring, I need to finish my new I/O panel. It consists of 3 switches for lighting, and I need to add a pair of USB ports for the Via system, and a cat5 port. I've got it all marked out.

[​IMG]

Now cut.

[​IMG]

Just like I wanted...

[​IMG]

At this point, I could have been finished, but then I thought of something. How many times have you fumbled around behind your computer attempting to plug something in to a darkened crevice? I've done it plenty of times, and decided to remedy that little issue with the help of a few LED's...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Okay, now what? it's a lot of small details and wiring. I need to get all of that done so I can drop hardware in the case. Although things are very tight, most of the wiring should be hidden, and placed out of sight. I want a very clean interior. What little wiring is visible, will be sleeved, and tucked away nicely. So, lets start getting some of that out of the way.

The home for the Meanwell PSU relay...

[​IMG]

A CCFL inverter tucked nicely away...

[​IMG]

Some sleeved switch wiring...

[​IMG]

Um, more wiring... Trust me, this will be clean by the time I'm done with it!

[​IMG]

And the work continues!

Macros_the_Black likes this.
  2. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Amazing work craigbru!

3. Macros_the_Black

Macros_the_Black Yup.. I'm a f-ing reptile

Don't worry about the mod updates man, finish those rooms for your first! I'm pretty sure we will all gladly battle our withdrawal symptoms for 3 weeks, while you make a home for you family... their happiness comes first, imho. =)
    I for one would like to see some pics of the house mod in future updates... if you have time to take pics.

Best of luck with the house modding!! ^_^

Last edited: 30 Apr 2008
  4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice switch panel. Suits the mod perfectly.

5. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Hey, since you have open walls, may as well pull a bit of cat-5 down there. :D

6. craigbru

Thank you!

I'll find time for the Rogue, although it will be limited. I'm currently using the Via as my main rig, and the fiance has had my laptop for about 3 weeks (it's a really good gamer). So, I'm having a bit of a gaming withdrawal. The only thing that will fix it, is to get the Rogue running.

Thank you. It all seems to blend in so well.

I built this house myself about 5 years ago. At the time, I wired it for cat-5, so the basement will be no exception. What you can't see, is that this is just half of the basement. The other side is already partially finished. I've got a play room for the kids, storage, and the area where I'm working on my project, which will eventually be a home office. It will be nice to finally get it all finished!

7. Elio

Elio What's a Dremel?

build a computer build a house same thing...
    craig that is one crazy mode right there...the basement i mean...:p
    you have to give us a sneakepick when you updates next time for the develpment of the basement...see what you did with all the wood...
    the rouge can wait for a while you dont want your fiance to eat you alive if she doesnt see a house to move in to...
    so take your time but dont forget us we will be waiting for an update!
    last thing the rouge looks great!!!
    love the leds for the dark place...
    Keep up the amazing work!!!:thumb:

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

give your kids a little project, build partition walls and daddy's office, as daddy has to finish his computer... lol

9. badje

badje boni

I still like it.. Good luck with ur house modding! are you able to make some pics I'm quite curious how you're house looks.
    Those switches are coming in the back I suppose, I might missed it while reading but anyway

Mod on with both:clap:.

10. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

Heh, you should start a new project log....:thumb:

11. craigbru

It's Friday! This weekend should be pretty productive. I'll get some work done on both the basement, and the Rogue. I'll post pictures of both. :thumb:

The past few days have been driving me crazy... man, I just want to have things finished. It's really hard to look at all the work I've done so far, and not be able to enjoy it yet. It seems that wiring, and other small details are so tedious. I work for a couple of hours, and it doesn't seem like I've made much progress! I'll get there. :rock:

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

It can be tedious, but it'll all pay off in the end. Always does. Case in point; look at your past mods! :thumb:

13. craigbru

Yeah, it does always pay off. I'm not even done with the Rogue, and I'm actually a little worried about what my next project will be... It seems that I can't sit idle for long, and I have a habit of outdoing whatever I did previously. I think it'll have to be a scratch build. Something that takes traditional case design, and turns it on it's ear... :thumb:

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

Believe me I understand quite well. I have a total of four other cases sitting here to get cut on, not to mention occasional commissioned stuff I get from local people I know. I'm always thinking of the next one while working on the current one. I've always said it's a disease, but different in the sense that it isn't harmful. Well, sometimes anyways. There is the unmentioned occasional slipup with the :dremel:, but other than that it's harmless. Of course, that's assuming you're not counting mental stress from trying to figure out a problem with the build. :lol:

15. craigbru

It's the dark side of creativity. Restless minds are always wanting something bigger and better. Just when you think you might be satisfied for a little bit, the satisfaction is fleeting. In fact, just in the last 5 minutes I just brainstormed my next project... It's going to be a 'split personality' in the most literal sense... The funny thing is, I almost feel like I just betrayed my current project...

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

Nah. Think of them as your children. You create them; raise them; then in 16 years they throw a tantrum because you don't like their current girl or guy, and you have a knock-down drag-out, and they move out and you never hear from them again unless they really need money.

:eyebrow:

I have no idea where I was going with that. :hehe: Never mind.

I guess what I'm saying is, modding is never done.

17. craigbru

Speaking of knock-down drag-out... I think I toasted one of my San Ace's tonight... :duh: I went to plug it it to test it, and heard a loud pop and saw a little puff of smoke. Attempts to get it running, weren't successful. That's enough to make a grown man cry. :waah: Those things are almost impossible to find anywhere. In fact, I searched for an hour before I came across one... at a Canadian company I'd never heard of. Shipping is costing me as much as the fan, but I have no choice. A tank of gas, or a fan... Egads!

18. craigbru

Well, fan issues aside, I've got a micro-update to post here. I've been working on wiring up the fans. Here you can see me soldering the fan wires to the contacts.

[​IMG]

After the wires were soldered, the contact assembly just fit inside the wire channel. A few bolts were put in place, and she's good to go!

[​IMG]

With any luck, tomorrow I'll get the contact strip done inside the case. Stay tuned!

19. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

What an awesome idea. I never thought of doing that.

20. craigbru

Thanks! I thought it would sure simplify removing the top of the case.

Tags: