Your Favourite Mispronunciations

Discussion in 'General' started by Bauul, 14 Jul 2008.

1. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

"axe" instead of "ask"

As for lie-nux vs linn-ux, I believe that the official pronunciation was "linn-ux" becuase it rhymed with Linus Torvalds' first name. However, as its popularity has increased over the years, "lie-nux" has become an accepted pronunciation.

And as for "pwn", being Welsh makes it easier to say: w is a vowel in Welsh :D But I've always said "pown" ("own" with a "p" in front)

Probably my biggest pet pronunciation hate though is people who say "seckertary" instead of "secretary"

And not necessarily a pronunciation hate, but people who confuse the meanings of words and use them in the wrong context, such as "imply" and "infer" or people that use "less" and "fewer" interchangeably.

2. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

sodder instead if solder :wallbash:

Why?

3. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

most supermarkets have a "ten items or less" counter (cant think of the word) when it is actually meant to be, as Waitrose have it, "ten items or fewer"

My pet hate, not a mispronunciation this one, but when people write "then" instead of "than". They couldn't be more different, it's like using the word "panda" for "computer" crikey it pisses me off.

fake edit: there's also the way American's say "aluminum", erm hello "aluminium" but then again there are probably many things we say wrong to American's even though they stole our language.

fake edit 2: English people that say "loo-tenant", you're English, you pronounce it "left-tenant"

4. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

The aluminium debate has to do with shipping crates about the time we were still colonies. However, as it's in our dictionaries and schools, and Webster's says both are acceptable, that's not what we're looking for.

I'm tired of the substitution of "k" for "t" or "h" in words, such as "skrimp" or "skrip". Ghetto language at it's best. Absolutely no grammar, words that don't exist and the syntax is horrible. Then they correct MY English.

I went and got the English degree, you sat on the porch with a bottle of Wild Irish Rose and smoked weed. Don't presume to tell me I can't pronounce things.

5. Faunus

Faunus What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry, but if anybody in work pronounces Linux as "Lie-nux", they get a flying head-butt. It's "Lin-ux". And it's "Fed-or-a", not "Federrer"!

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

so how exactly to say "aluminium"
    i always say "ah-le-min-nium" that's how i was told to say in GCSE in Poole, very south of UK.
    but americans (or TV) always say "a-lu-minum"

7. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

What? Ah-soose sounds stupid. I'm sticking with Ay-Sus.

As for Aluminium, I think Americans spell it differently (aluminum) as do these forums and MS Office. We created the language. We say it right. End of :plol

8. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

jalapeño

its HALAPENYO ffs

9. Smegwarrior

Smegwarrior Fighting the war on smeg

Why?
    We say Nok-ia or Nok-ee-yah

Indeed, there was an American movie that had a line in it "I'll stab you in the face with a hot soddering iron", lets just say that when I heard that I wanted to heat up the Weller and plunge it into the faces of the actors and the writers. :grr:

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I just found out yesterday from a factory video that Thermaltake is thermal take, I always pronounced it Thermal tah key. I'm a noob. what do I know. Besides which I haven't owned one yet.
    John

11. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

:rolleyes: The Germans, Romans, and Goths are still wondering why you butchered their respective languages. Case in point: Somewhere, a French person is wondering how the English came to pronounce 'lieu' (lyoo) as 'lef,' though there could be an explanation in dialect.

As for the Aluminum vs Aluminium debate, it seems as though the element went through a number of name changes over its history. Alumium -> Aluminum -> Aluminium. As it is, both variants are acceptable according to the powers that be, so it's not truly a mispronunciation.

I don't know which one I would consider my most hated, but the one I hear most often is 'nucular,' as pronounced by our beloved President. Nevertheless, I generally think of mispronunciations as byproducts of dialect; I've never met a person who speaks with perfect diction - that is, with no accent. For example: you can almost pinpoint where in Houston someone lives by how they pronounce the word 'bayou.' Get the right person to say the word enough times, and soon you have a generation of people saying 'nucular' because they don't know any better; 'nucular' is all they've heard.

-monkey

Last edited: 14 Jul 2008
  12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I'm from ooooop north, so everything's pronounced wrong.

When I was little I used to say per-swedo (pseudo).

Is Porsche, "Pore-shh" or "Por-sha"?

13. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

porsh is how I pronounce it:p
    Nu-ku-ler gets my back up as well

For me the pet hate is when people use the wrong name for songs
    eg. Shot through the heart... IT'S YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME... FFS!

Rant over:)

14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Re: Lie-nux vs Lin-nux

Somewhere on the interwibble, there exists the definitive answer in the form of an audio file of the correct pronunciation - spoken by Linus Torvalds no less.
    He says Lin-nux

15. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

Really if it was supposed to be li-nux, it would have to be spelt Linnux. I say Lie-nux, but I don't speak to people in the real world about computing, so it doesn't mater.

Since Phonejacker was on the telly, I've been enjoying acronyms literally.

Doovde.
    Ooosb.
    Eee-puk.

16. modgodtanvir

I used to say Porrsh until the guy who owns it said Por-Sha.

I think Nukular sounds stupid.

17. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

Porsche, considering it's a German company and they pronounce their 'e's at the end of words, it's "por-sha"

18. knuck

knuck Hate your face

really ? That's quite interesting. I saw an episode of Fifth Gear the other day and they were pronouncing it "por-sha". I was confused a little. I didn't know if it was because of the British accent or if I had been an ignorant for years :D

my personal favorite example would be my name. I bet 95% of you guys couldn't pronounce it right

(it's Ghyslain btw)

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It was Noah Webster who decided, all on his ownsome, that it should be 'aluminum'; such is the power when you publish a dictionary.
    It was probably just a simple error in the name of what was a very unfamiliar word at the time; if he had a point of simplification to make why did he not change all the other elements ending in '-ium'?

20. modgodtanvir

I also rather dislike when we hear American people say 'Coop', for the word Coupe, which really, should be pronounced 'Coop-ay'...