1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Fans boycott Left 4 Dead 2

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

prats

3. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

ha +1

4. Narishma

Narishma What's a Dremel?

Those complaints you listed seem to have been changed in the group. They removed those stupid ones about music and brightness.

5. I-E-D

I-E-D Minimodder

I can see why they might, but if they started it right after the first L4D, using most of the same stuff, then surely it can only get better?

And isn't 6 months enough to fix most of the minor issues, like the music and brightness?

A standalone expansion, like Crysis warhead, would be good, because it could be in a different part of town?

6. GFC

GFC What's a Dremel?

It's easy. They said they won't take cash for updates, but they invested way too much time in it. So the only way they could get profit is to sell it as a different game. Although, like said, games like TF2 (which i actually like a lot) is a good example of DLC that works in favor.

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

translation: 'waaah give us discounts.'

8. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Im getting L4D2 thats for sure!

9. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I know I WILL buy it :D

But I have to agree with them in part, and i loved the music in the demos i saw... I am the only one??

10. clx

clx What's a Dremel?

Im disappointed in the amount of people here who have not gone and read the manifesto to understand the message they are trying to send to Valve.
    Valve promised its usual high standard of updates and content patches for l4d at release but failed to follow through, i think anyone who has studied all the levels in the only content patch will agree, the amount of effort to make them was disturbingly lacking compared to the normal valve high standard.
    Now it turns out the reason for the poor quality and lack of updates is due to them working on another game that is essentially exactly the same, and are going to sell it for full price.

This is not the Valve i had grown to love.

Full Manifesto

WE RECOGNIZE:

-Valve is a company with financial needs and cannot be expected to survive without the release of new games.

-Judgment cannot be passed on the quality of Left 4 Dead 2 until its release.

-Left 4 Dead was, and is, a quality game which deserves the praise of the entire gaming community.

WE ARE COMMITTED:

-To holding Valve to its promise of free, continual updates to Left 4 Dead in order to build and sustain the community.

-To keeping the Left 4 Dead community together in order to improve the quality of online gaming.

-To supporting the model of continual updates Valve has set forth with its staple products like Team Fortress 2.

WE BELIEVE:

-The release of Left 4 Dead 2 as a stand-alone sequel will split the communities and decrease the quality of multiplayer gaming.

-The announced content of Left 4 Dead 2 does not warrant a stand-alone, full-priced sequel and should instead become updates (free or otherwise) for Left 4 Dead.

-Left 4 Dead has not yet received the support and content which Valve has repeatedly stated will be delivered.

-The release of Left 4 Dead 2 will make Left 4 Dead an obsolete purchase and inferior piece of software after only one year since release.

WE REQUEST:

-That Valve honor its commitment to release ongoing periodic content for Left 4 Dead.

-That Left 4 Dead 2 not be released as a stand-alone, full-priced sequel but as either a free update to Left 4 Dead or an expansion with full compatibility with basic Left 4 Dead owners.

-That Left 4 Dead owners be given discounts for Left 4 Dead 2, should it be released as premium content.

11. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Valves trying to be EA. sneaky sneaky

12. Combatus

Combatus Bit-tech Modding + hardware reviews Lover of bit-tech Super Moderator

I'll definitely be getting it but there are plenty of things that need fixing with the current game - numerous glitches in all the game modes, issues with Nvidia graphics cards and the aweful server lobby for starters. If they're wandering why it's not as popular as it might be, they just need to look at their own forums.

It's pretty clear that despite there being regular updates, they haven't been addressing a great deal and Survival mode aside there hasn't been a lot of new content - probably because they've been working on L4D2...

13. cyrilthefish

cyrilthefish What's a Dremel?

I can definitely agree with a fair few of those points.

It does seem to be expansion pack content being rehashed as a full game instead, it should be paid DLC or and expansion for the amount of changes being made.

and it may be a minor thing for some: but i really don't like the new survivors at all, they seem to be a mix of 'meh' and downright annoying-looking, there's not a single one i'd like playing from what i've seen so far.
    A real shame as the 4 original ones were all great!

I'll hold off until a demo gets released to try it, but apart from the new melee weapons, there's nothing at all that stands out as being worth the cost so far. :blah:

14. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Well, I have to admit I wasn't going to buy L4D2 anyway - I played through the game once... took about five hours... started again, even picking different weapons to try to play it differently and it played... exactly the same. OK, so the horde swarmed me at slightly different times (at an alley mouth instead of when I'm still half-way down it) but there was just no variation in it.

Having been very disappointed with L4D - and after Joe's preview I had been quite enthusiastic - I'm not going to risk the sequel.

As for their manifesto... the one I read on the group (the same one that clx posted) is fair enough. L4D certainly doesn't seem to be up to Valve's previous high standards.

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'm not going to actively boycott the next one but i doubt i'll buy it till its a weekend special. I've not played l4d as much as i should have but i'm a little disapointed it took so long for the sdk, in my experience mods really make the game.

16. mjm25

mjm25 What's a Dremel?

I'm on the fence with this one... and probably will be until it is released (someone get me a cushion). I think the group has a point, Valve has essentially undermined itself, although i wouldn't be surprised if if it was a monetary decision that wasn't well publicised (share prices would fall, games bought through Steam would plummet if Valve suddenly said "we're in trouble" etc).
    At the same time Valve has the right to spend on development and then make that money back through sales AND has said absolutely nothing about prices or lack there of.
    As Mr Tommy Lee Jones once said, a person is smart, people are stupid and the community does itself no favours by bitching and turning on Valve when it makes a bit of a slip-up. Being fickle only gets people so far...

17. MajorTom

MajorTom Minimodder

The way I see it is pretty simple. The main complaint is about the promised content for L4D which is why many of us went ahead and bought a game that frankly didn't feel finished yet. This Content has not been delivered. Instead we are being charged full price AGAIN and will have to abandon L4D or play on our own. It's a shoddy move by valve and very out of character.

They promised but didn't deliver and now want more money. It doesn't work like that.

18. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

It is odd that Valve have taken the decision to release this as a fully fledged sequel but I think alot of this whining could be avoided if Valve would just be a bit more open about why and didn't feed us with crap about how much more technically advanced it is.

19. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

you sound like you're playing it single-player. that, my friend, is where you are going totally wrong. this game is MADE for online play with friends.

20. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

I actualyl agree to a point, seems Valve is getting more and more bulllish and are starting to look more and more like EA, hurrying to rush out more full price content with only small improvements. They are very Nazi like on the forums, quickly locking threads, even banning people for discussuing this.

Tags: Add Tags