1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware DFI LANParty DK 790FXB-M3H5 Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 22 Jul 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. SwiftDestiny101

SwiftDestiny101 Has a wire neatness fetish...

The yellow tbh look a bit naff. I didnt mind the luminous green DFI boards but the yellow makes it look like "My First Motherboard (C) Fisher Price" :p

PS Page 5 the top power consumption graph subtitle is wrong:

Power Consumption (Idle)
    Power at wall socket. BIOS Defaults, all onboard hardware enabled. Prime95 Load

How can it be loaded and idle at the same time :p

3. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

It's a bit strange that you can't swap out the BIOs on these boards when you could on the AM2+ versions.

4. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

why no comparions against Intel products?

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I never liked the DFI boards' look to be honest and his one is no exception. Paired with the underwhelming performance I guess I'll just keep my C2D setup a bit longer and wait for i5.

6. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

Because it's not a CPU review?

7. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

Because its a motherboard review, not a CPU review. If you're looking for CPU upgrade advice we've done loads of reviews recently.

8. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

9. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

i do understand that but if you look at the Handbrake H.264 Encoding benchmark there is a 5% variation in results based upon what MOBO you use, that could be enough to alter the standings between different chips

for example a AMD proc on one mobo may perform 2% worse than an Intel Proc but on a different MOBO it would perform 3% better.
    you see the conundrum?

would be nice for bit-tech to create a database of benchmark results that would be easily comparible accross different systems each time you test a proc you update its bench and the average of all the results is displayed. therefore if you tested said proc on 3 differeent mobos the average of the 3 would be used (or if your clever Top Mean and low) thsi could be done also for GPUs against Proc / Mobo that way if ever we need to compare our old gear we only need to check our products against a relevant benchmark instead of perhaps looking accross 3 differeent review to come up with a conclusion

for example try comparing a 9800GTX against a 285 using the existing reviews
    (something that is not unreasonable in terms of upgrade path)

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

11. thEcat

thEcat What's a Dremel?

Not for sale anywhere, yet, but maybe...

Guess I'm still haunted by dfi 939 nostalgia :sigh:

12. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

To be honest, DFI's AMD line of motherboards has tanked. Their last good "enthusiast" motherboard for an AMD CPU would be the NF590-M2R/G. Even then that one had some quirks that made it an "meh' board. When that one died on me 1 year after reciving it i upgraded to the 790FX and while it lasted a short amount of time I was VERY disappointed in the way it performed. So now that that board is dead I am running Intel and the DFI Intel side and I must say that their Intel boards are on the order of magnitudes better than the AMD side.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

When AMD AM2 range performed so badly for so long DFI kinda jumped ship towards its intel range due to the core duo being such a huge hit.

DFI should be ashamed by that board. I still love the yellow and black, but they were the brand you expected to be late to the table with there board, but my would it overclock!

14. shaffaaf27

shaffaaf27 The budget builder

what wrong with screws on the heatsinks? and whats wrong with clear CMOS at the back?

15. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

well pretty much every motherboard manfufacture, putting very little effort into their amd boards compared to their intels ones. You look at a mainstream intel board and it's more tricked out than an enthusiast amd board

16. xprodancer

xprodancer life is like a box of chocolates

DFI Lanparty DK 790FXB-M3H5

i must say im rathewr dissapointed in the board! i have always stuck with AMD cause i prefer it and always will! but this board has to be said is one of the worst yet by DFI they should have spent more time in workin out the kinks instead of rushing it cause its an AMD platform! its so annoying that this happens alot with other brands of boards to!!!! i will keep my out for an upgrade but i will rather find the best one to date than get one of these rushed boards! :wallbash:

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Heatsink screws shear off - they are piss poor quality, like always.

The clear CMOS jumper on the back should be a button for ease of use.

Tags: Add Tags