1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Seawolf, July 20. #40 Getting ready for Assembly Summer 2010!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Javerh, 21 Jan 2009.

1. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o What's a Dremel?

Nice progress! I'll be watching.

Alumiinin taivutusta käsipelillä helpottaa kun tekee syvän viivan piirtopiikillä kanttauksen sisäpuolelle, se tosin laskee lujuutta aika paljon.

2. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Käytin tota siinä dvd-aseman taivutuksessa. :thumb:

3. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

The finns are taking over ! :dremel:

Tuuppas takas irkkiin ;)

Javerh likes this.
  4. Dice

Dice What's a Dremel?

Go Finland go!
    ja haoki laittelee tiheempään tahtiin kuvia uudesta projektistaan ;)

Javerh likes this.
  5. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

They Plexi-Fairy just made a delivery for Javerh ;) I'm awestruck on how he actually manages to do all this work in the space he has :D

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Hehe! I do most of it on the floor, anyway.

7. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

#29 Weekend rush

[​IMG]

I once found this alu profile in a junk bin. I think it was going to be a car amplifier. Some of the fins are bent at one end. I cut this 80mm thick piece out of the profile. The screw-notches are 3mm.

[​IMG]

I drilled and cut a slit into the backside of the profile for cable management.

[​IMG]

Then I made a rectangular hole on the front side to fit two usb ports. The hole needs filing, but I'm running out of time.

[​IMG]

Next I made some slanted cuts with a hacksaw. The top of the profile needs to sit flush with the fan array and the radiators. More wonky surfaces will follow.

[​IMG]

When screwed into its place, the profile looks like this.

[​IMG]

Haoki brought me some lovely white acrylics from Tampereen Liikeacryl. The rectangular pieces still have the plastic cover on them.

[​IMG]

The rectangular pieces sit beautifully on the hdd-shell. Much better than my scrappy pieces. Plus, at 4mm they should be sturdier.

[​IMG]

On the PSU the acrylic looks nice. I had to cut the brass sheet to fit the edge of the acrylic.

[​IMG]

I used the old brass sheet as a template on where to bend the acrylic. Then I just heated it with a hot air gun and bent away.

[​IMG]

I made a quick cover out of clear acrylic and bolted it to the new sheet. After Assembly is over I will order new pieces that will have some improvements. The PSU bottom plate mark II will have some readymade holes and slits to ease assembly. Now, I had to cut them by hand.

[​IMG]

And cut I did. Got this nick form a sharp edge of acrylic when filing it. Too bad one of my hands was tied when taking this picture. If it weren't so blurry, it would have made a nice background picture!

I have already worked some more, but my fiancée went for a trip and borrowed my camera. At the moment the fan array, the radiators and the dvd-drive are mounted on the case and I have new top beams. All that is left before Assembly is mounting the PSU.

Last edited: 2 Aug 2009
  8. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That alu fin array was a great find, looks really cool.

9. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

/\ yeah wicked find.. suit it very well!

10. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli I get by fine with a jig-saw.

Aw... more teaser shots?!

I love the concept of the curved front I presume you are going for if you match that curved alu extrusion. But then again, perhaps I should presume nothing...

11. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Thank you, guys!

You are correct. The front will be curved. :thumb:

12. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I simply love the element of surprise in this mod :thumb:

Good job!
    (and bummer about the cut, hope it heals up soon)

13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Bloooood!
    What kind of magical trash bin are you digging this stuff out of?:eyebrow:

14. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

[​IMG] Junkyards are the best places to roam!

15. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

Nice use of materials!
    Unfortunately our local recycling/dump yard has huge skips so you'll have to climb into them to get to the good stuff. I was scavenging for some lawnmower spares last weekend and got a screw in my car's rear tyre for my effort - tyres are brand new, hadn't even travelled 5 miles :waah:

16. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

#30 Lan ready

As you know I've been trying to get Seawolf assembled so I can take it with me to Assembly 09. As I rushed the case I also got to see which parts of it work and which don't. For example, the foam pads in the HDD-shell don't work too well. I will have to replace them with alu blocks. In addition, the PSU mounting is quite bad and will have to be redone.

[​IMG]

I've got the new system mounted in. The PSU is held in place with two bolts and some wire. The tape is there to ensure it all lives through Assembly. :blush: The wiring is still a mess. I had to remove one fan from the fan array to connect the HD4890 power connectors. I also got a longer slim sata cable for the DVD-drive and connected it today.

[​IMG]

This is my bundle of joy. These wires will disappear when I start work on the sleeving and general cable management.

[​IMG]

The fan array is now bolted to the front alu profile. The radiators are squeezed from all sides. They seem to be holding well. I've not decided yet where I'm going to route the fan array cables.

[​IMG]

I mounted the ccfl's with zip ties. Originally I was planning on opening the tubes and sinking them inside the white profiles. At the moment I'm fairly satisfied with the way they are positioned in the grooves. This way they give out more light inside the case.

[​IMG]

The connectors look nice, although the cables will be bent downwards. When I'm done with painting the motherboard cage white, the insides will look brighter. I will have to think about adding some leds here and there.

[​IMG]

Finally, I made the case lan-ready by covering it with garbage bags. I don't want anybody throwing peanuts on the motherboard! :eyebrow:

I know, it's not pretty atm but it will have to do. :rolleyes:

17. The boy 4rm oz

This is really looking very very good, I can't wait until you start to put the external casing on it :D.

18. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

bahahah :p

that still looks cool in its own way lol
    nice work

19. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

You know, that's the only thing I wouldn't have guessed anyone would say. In my eyes it looks hidious!

20. The boy 4rm oz

Yeah but those bags are only temporary covers, the internal structure looks great, very sturdy and as DF said, it still looks cool in its own way with the bags on lol.