1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Motorcycle Mayhem

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 24 Feb 2009.

1. RTT

RTT #parp

Love those bikes, seriously good looking! Take the restrictor chip out for a few miles (on a private race track, of course ;) ), then come back and tell us it doesn't feel lacking in power :D

2. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

im with u rtt, however my dad has hidden the unrestricted ecu

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

So yeah, 7 months off road I decide what I really want is my CX working again. Took it to a local mechanic who identified the smoke as steam. After some digging about it turns out the seal around the coolant impeller had broken and allowed water to get into the engine.

All the water actually. Even though the header tank was still full, everything from the main WC system was either in the sump or alternator. The head gaskets were fine and the bores, even after 25 years, still have their original tooling marks. In fact, all that's really needed are some new seals and fluids. Should be sorted by the weekend.

4. RTT

RTT #parp

5. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

has been abit slow lately, update on the gsxr, one month and 1100miles later im still loving it. ive had a speeding ticket (3points and 60quid fine) and been pulled over for speeding, but the policeman was a biker and let me off with a warning.
    im considering a trackday in the near future, but ive got to save my pennies up.
    anybody going to cadwell park for bsb on bank holiday monday?

6. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Bit of a long shot, but anyone else from Devon/Cornwall way going on the Jennings Memorial Run tomorrow?

I'll be there with the CX and a friend on his Bandit. Just bought out Halfords supply of polish and cloths for the event. Now for an afternoon of cleaning. :thumb:

7. Trance

Trance Two steps forward, one step back

Just a bit to far away for me, it would be enough of a ride to get there...

8. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

Would have if I still had a bike :waah:

9. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Hey guys. Been a long read but worth it! Took my CBT in March but have yet to get hold of a bike. I've managed to get hold of all the gear I need, (bar a jacket replacement and some other gloves, as the jacket is supposed to be waterproof.) Though I'm torn between waiting until I'm 21 next March to do the DAS or do I get a 125 now on CBT and scoot around on that until then? Can't decide.

Fell in love with biking when I was in South Africa and a group of 4 of us were taken to private land on yamaha 125's with 'knobbies' and we spent the day tearing up dirt and grass tracks! (Was awesome getting the tail out a little!)

What do you guys reckon?

10. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

Well, the run was great. Over 1300 bikes and £4000 raised for Cornwall Hospice Care. Am totally knackered, been up since 6am and only just had lunch (bacon rolls and a cuppa tea.)

Press report linky, (DS is the run organiser).

There were quite a few cameras en route, someone's already uploaded some footage from the end of the second leg near Beacon village. 7:23 on the red CX. :thumb:

Depends on how much experience you have in the saddle I guess. DAS is okay but if it was me all over again, I'd go with a 125 first. Any mistakes while learning on the 125 in the first couple of years probably won't hurt as much as they would on a bigger bike. Just my opinion though.

11. The RAM

The RAM Minimodder

Yeah. I did wonder about that. I picked up clutch control and mobility during the time offroad pretty quickly but that pretty much counts for nothing on the road. I was almost wiped by a bus and the other pupil was almost wiped by a beemer... So you reckon it'd be better me getting a 125 now with 'L' plates and scoot around on that for a while or to take my test and scoot on the restricted bikes? It makes sense to learn on a smaller bike I guess as it can, (but not always) equal less pain. I've not done any riding since my CBT last march, so I may enquire as to a lesson to get my confidence back up.

12. wiby645

wiby645 Minimodder

any one going to skeg vegas for the mcn live show? i only live in boston so its not far for me 2 go :D

13. aradreth

aradreth What's a Dremel?

Seems Ducati has unveiled a new bike more info here. Generally I'm not a huge fan of supermoto's but it looks fantastic.
    [​IMG]

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Oooh that's tasty. Apparently you can have Silver, White or Duke red. Sexeh.

15. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

I love the ducati supermotos, and that is no exception, I came...

16. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

The machinations of your underpants are not something I care to imagine first thing on a Thursday morning whilst eating cake.

Bike does look good though.

17. RTT

RTT #parp

I took a Hypermotard 1100S out for an hour a few weeks ago to compare it to my bike. Ducati market it as a big supermoto (duh). I could only come to the conclusion that it isn't a big supermoto at all except for the fact it has a big engine. It's physically a small bike, much more like the size of a traditional supermoto, and the seating position is hardcore - your head is parallel to the forks - so already it isn't a "big" supermoto. With those two things in mind, the big motor doesn't match well at all (and it isn't very powerful), so the 1100 is carrying around that big heavy motor for not much reason or benefit at all. Case in point, the motor is only making 20HP more than KTM's single cylinder 690cc :eeek: (and probably weighs twice as much)

I came away thinking that if it had a big single cylinder motor or just a smaller twin (like that of the Aprilia Dorsoduro - 750cc) it'd start to make much more sense...

Looks like Ducati read my mind! :)

Last edited: 24 Sep 2009
  18. aradreth

True the big Ducati only makes 90bhp (24 less the the 990/950 SM) but it cranks out slightly more torque and is lighter as it's an air cooled engine instead of water cooled. So what really should be compared is the power to weight ratio but sadly manufacturers make it hard to do so as weights are typically given as the dry weight which is often very misleading.
    In the end it comes down to different designs and different driving styles really. As for the seating position well it's a ducati what did you expect? ;)

19. RTT

RTT #parp

Having ridden the KTM 990 motor in two guises (SM/T (115HP) and SuperDuke-R (130HP)) and the 950 (in SM trim), I can tell you that the Ducati 1100, even with its 5ft/lb extra in the torque department, is not as quick as any of the aforementioned setups :thumb:

It advertises itself as a hypermoto, which in my brain translates to "a big moto". So I expected something that didn't feel like a single cylinder, 50-miles-before-your-ass-hurts, sitting-ontop-of-the-forks supermoto. That's got nothing to do with it being a Ducati (take a look at their Multistrada) :duh:

20. aradreth

Fair enough experience wins every time, although I've a friend who tried the 1100 monster and said it was a good engine and the bike was deceptively fast.
    I've always thought of Ducatis as having a slightly unusual ergonomics so whilst I might not expect your head to be over the front forks I would have expected something different.